Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Play in steering  (Read 6540 times)

feeutfo

Re: Play in steering
« Reply #45 on: 23 April 2012, 09:37:10 »

Ps, how did you get a torque wrench on the top shock mount nuts? The centre strut needs to be heald to tighten it properly, so a torque wrench would cover the 11(?)mill hex on the shock shaft on GM shocks...?

I did it "vice versa": holding the 24mm nut with a spanner, put torque wrench to the 11mm centre and ratchet "backwards"
Aha, ok. Although the 11mill will have some friction on it due to the shock internals etc. not sure what the torque setting is for those. I just nip em up tight ish ;D

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 23 April 2012, 09:44:45 »

Ps, how did you get a torque wrench on the top shock mount nuts? The centre strut needs to be heald to tighten it properly, so a torque wrench would cover the 11(?)mill hex on the shock shaft on GM shocks...?

I did it "vice versa": holding the 24mm nut with a spanner, put torque wrench to the 11mm centre and ratchet "backwards"
Aha, ok. Although the 11mill will have some friction on it due to the shock internals etc. not sure what the torque setting is for those. I just nip em up tight ish ;D

True but as for the result it is same as you would be tightening the nut: relevat torque is achieved. Mor eor less.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 26 April 2012, 07:19:33 »

Some update: the blind spot is now gone (for now), seems it was the lower ball joint which was completely busted. However, all is not ok. Still have a "knock" on steering, only when turning left, just aside straight ahead position. No play anywhere. I am really confused with this one. Tracking is ok, pitman arm visually checked straight. Am I just gonna live with this or is there still something I could do or check?

omega3000

« Reply #48 on: 26 April 2012, 07:45:51 »

Have you replaced the droplinks , had similar issues with mine ... Droplinks appeared to be ok whilst on the car and i was getting similar knocking through the steering after replacing the ball joints that were shot . Once the droplinks were replaced the knocking was cured .
Just a thought  ;)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 26 April 2012, 08:03:18 »

Have you replaced the droplinks , had similar issues with mine ... Droplinks appeared to be ok whilst on the car and i was getting similar knocking through the steering after replacing the ball joints that were shot . Once the droplinks were replaced the knocking was cured .
Just a thought  ;)
hmmm... that might be a good idea, not too expensive to "test". Droplinks are the ones from anti roll bar to wishbone ones? Not always sure what different components are called in english  :-[

feeutfo

« Reply #50 on: 26 April 2012, 08:25:53 »

Drop link play has no real effect on handling or steering, they just knock randomly as the roll bar twists through the level position, or while the car is level they knock over bumps. Load the roll bar while in a corner and the play is taken up and the knock disappears.

If the knock is triggered by turning the steering to the left, or while the steering is left of centre in a certain position, I'd say not drop links.

But it's easy to test drop links for play. Both wheels must be off the floor, grab the roll bar as close the end by the drop link as you can and pull up and down. You'll feel any play.
Roll bar MUST be level though. If its twisted by jacking ones side of the car only, the roll bar will be loaded and the play will be taken up. Due to the torsion of the roll bar, which is massive, it's then impossible to feel the play as described as described above.

Your symptoms sound almost similar AA's at this stage.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 April 2012, 08:35:55 »

Drop link play has no real effect on handling or steering, they just knock randomly as the roll bar twists through the level position, or while the car is level they knock over bumps. Load the roll bar while in a corner and the play is taken up and the knock disappears.

If the knock is triggered by turning the steering to the left, or while the steering is left of centre in a certain position, I'd say not drop links.

But it's easy to test drop links for play. Both wheels must be off the floor, grab the roll bar as close the end by the drop link as you can and pull up and down. You'll feel any play.
Roll bar MUST be level though. If its twisted by jacking ones side of the car only, the roll bar will be loaded and the play will be taken up. Due to the torsion of the roll bar, which is massive, it's then impossible to feel the play as described as described above.

Your symptoms sound almost similar AA's at this stage.

Yes, I saw his thread and am watching it carefully. Luckily he is having the Master helping...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.