Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 V6 Rocker Cover Gasket  (Read 5129 times)

J.S.B.

• Colchester, Essex
    • 2.5v6 Elite
    • View Profile
2.5 V6 Rocker Cover Gasket
« on: 31 May 2012, 15:32:18 »

Hi Guys,

I've just been to Vauxhall to try and get a rocker cover gasket and they've just told me that they no longer do the gasket as they have identified a problem with the gaskets and cover leaking. ??? It's only taken them 13 years! >:( However they now have a new gasket cover for them at £120 per bank which initially sounds a bit steep. :'(

:-[
Now to shame myself. I bought pattern gaskets and already replaced the o/s bank with genuine which cured that side, however now the n/s bank has started leaking and I was hoping to just change the gasket.

I know I shouldn't have gone for pattern parts and it's my own fault :-\ but now I'm in the situation where I need to do something about the n/s bank. Does anyone know about this new rocker cover as I forgot to get the part numbers from the Vauxhall guy? Or has anyone got a set of genuine gaskets not needed or any other suggestion.

I really like my car and apart from this problem it's a real gem so I'd really like to get it sorted without having to get another remortgage please :'(

Regards

J
Things to do: Air Con still leaking

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 V6 Rocker Cover Gasket
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2012, 15:40:01 »

Crap dealer there I am afriad and very miss informed.

PM Andy C on here, he will get the correct items at a good price for you.

J.S.B.

• Colchester, Essex
    • 2.5v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2012, 15:50:30 »

Hi Mark,

I've pm'ed Andy. Also I've had a look at the various threads on the vectra covers for it and was getting the vibe that they could cause more trouble than help. Is there a replacement solution for the rocker covers?

Regards

J

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2012, 16:12:47 »

I think the general consensus is there's no alternative to original parts mate ;)

ps, liking what you've done with the list of jobs at the bottom of your posts ;)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

J.S.B.

• Colchester, Essex
    • 2.5v6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2012, 16:24:14 »

The silly thing is that I've had a new pair of front wishbones with polys fitted sitting in my cupboard for nearly 6 months now but I just never seem to get teh time to do it. Once they're on then I'll flush the brake system. I have replace as much brake oil in the reservoir as I can so it doesn't look black anymore but that's only because everyone commented on it's colour when I lifted my bonnet ;D

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2012, 16:38:21 »

The "cure" for rocker gasket problem is,regular cleaning of breathers and oil changes at intervals between 3,000 -5,000 miles. ;)

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2012, 16:44:42 »

Hi Guys,

I've just been to Vauxhall to try and get a rocker cover gasket and they've just told me that they no longer do the gasket as they have identified a problem with the gaskets and cover leaking. ??? It's only taken them 13 years! >:( However they now have a new gasket cover for them at £120 per bank which initially sounds a bit steep. :'(

Now to shame myself. I bought pattern gaskets and already replaced the o/s bank with genuine which cured that side, however now the n/s bank has started leaking and I was hoping to just change the gasket.

I know I shouldn't have gone for pattern parts and it's my own fault :-\ but now I'm in the situation where I need to do something about the n/s bank. Does anyone know about this new rocker cover as I forgot to get the part numbers from the Vauxhall guy? Or has anyone got a set of genuine gaskets not needed or any other suggestion.

I really like my car and apart from this problem it's a real gem so I'd really like to get it sorted without having to get another remortgage please :'(

Regards

J
just take your time with the pattern gasket never had problems with them :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2012, 17:03:27 »

Hi Guys,

Regards

J

I would say daylight robbery prices  :y

martin42

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2012, 17:26:55 »

pattern gaskets from £8.00 per bank to £20 for both,dealer price £120 i know which option i would take,yes i have pattern gaskets on both banks for a while now and no leaks,i think personally its down to taking your time,using good oil and keeping the breather system clear :y
« Last Edit: 31 May 2012, 17:30:08 by martin42 »

bored bigyin54

• Omega Baron
  • south wales
  • iron maiden rocks very sad at the moment
    • black beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2012, 18:22:13 »

pattern gaskets from £8.00 per bank to £20 for both,dealer price £120 i know which option i would take,yes i have pattern gaskets on both banks for a while now and no leaks,i think personally its down to taking your time,using good oil and keeping the breather system clear :y
i am glad someone agrees with me if i dont need to buy vx parts i wont i have been doing it for years . just now i cant do the work any more  :y :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2012, 19:09:15 »

Book mark this page for viewing for when your covers are leaking .......................  ;) ;) ;)

martin42

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2012, 19:13:25 »

;D ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2012, 20:14:34 »

:y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2012, 20:30:29 »

As we've said many times, some pattern parts are a known entity and give consistent performance. If they do then we recommend them :y

Unfortunately Cam Cover Gaskets aren't in that category ;) Yes, some pattern ones will be fine if the breathers are kept clear. However, you could buy a set from the same manufacturer another time and they p!$$ out oil from day one ::)

That's why I/we don't recommend pattern ;) I have recommended cheap wishbones in the past though ;)

J.S.B, wait for Andy to reply and he'll sort it for you :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.