Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Help!!!  (Read 6317 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Please Help!!!
« Reply #15 on: 07 June 2015, 15:18:09 »

Good on yer James.  :y

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 June 2015, 15:25:05 »

It does not matter who does the job as long as the OP is happy, and the Omega gets back on the road :y

mka306

« Reply #17 on: 07 June 2015, 16:03:57 »

It does not matter who does the job as long as the OP is happy, and the Omega gets back on the road :y

Totally agree, all I want is the miggy running how it should, luckily the car is off the road until I have completed all the necessary work and some not so necessary, but this is something that needs doing sharpish as I can't risk turning over the engine in it's present state. Now it will need a coolant flush, engine flush, oil and coolant change and of course the cooler unit, must say I didn't see that coming :o

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 June 2015, 17:18:50 »

I've sent you a quote that I've no doubt seems free compared to using a dealer ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 June 2015, 17:25:49 »

I thought they modified the 3.2 cooler to prevent this happening?  :-\

Useless GM muppets  :(

They changed it to stainless steel, but that doesn't alter the fact that the coolant should be changed at regular intervals.

I'm not sure the chaps at Ellesmere Port (many of whom were laid off when 54degree V6 production ceased) would be particularly impressed with you calling them muppets.....

powerslinky

« Reply #20 on: 07 June 2015, 17:34:23 »

The answer is probably gonna be "never"  . . . but . . . can you fit a used  stainless oil cooler if it looks in good condition ?  :-\

Just asking as the oil cooler was "supposidly" changed less than 2 years ago by the owner of my 3.2 breaker  :-\

I'm preparing for a barrage of flack on this question  . . . but just asking  ;D ;D ;D ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2015, 17:45:02 »

Problem with a used one is that the threads often strip when you try to tighten the two big bolts down for a second time. You wouldn't, of course, lose anything by trying  :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2015, 18:05:52 »

Problem with a used one is that the threads often strip when you try to tighten the two big nuts down for a second time. You wouldn't, of course, lose anything by trying  :)

Edited because I am stupid.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 June 2015, 18:15:38 »

Short runs also cause the mayo to accumulate in the header tank ;)

Could just need a coolant flush, then run it for a while and keep checking the header tank...

Not always a oil cooler failure that causes mayo in the header tank, could sometimes be one of the HG's is on its way out also.. or in my case - as I recently found out - both HG's had failed LOL
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 June 2015, 18:19:32 »

Could just need a coolant flush, then run it for a while and keep checking the header tank...

Not always a oil cooler failure that causes mayo in the header tank, could sometimes be one of the HG's is on its way out also.. or in my case - as I recently found out - both HG's had failed LOL
Ooh. Mini needs a chat with master. ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 June 2015, 18:27:03 »

Short runs will cause mayo to accumulate under the oil filler cap but never in the header tank. Only cause of mayo in the header tank is failed oil cooler.
I have changed 2 leaking coolers on late model V6,s so Im dubious about this alleged improvement on the later ones.
I have used a second hand cooler as a replacement, but as said, you need to take care with the thread on the cooler when installing it. Its not hard to cross thread the nuts and strip the threads on the cooler.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

powerslinky

« Reply #26 on: 07 June 2015, 18:28:49 »

Were not the  2.5's from your manufacturing year prone to HG failure though ?  HG failure is a rare occurance as far I am aware  :-\ :-\   

Looks like a def oil cooler failure from the OP's pics in my book   

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 June 2015, 18:45:15 »

Ooh. Mini needs a chat with master. ;)
Masters comments here cover it I believe?
http://oldsite.omegaowners.com//forum/YaBB.pl?num=1263501823

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 June 2015, 18:48:57 »

Short runs will cause mayo to accumulate under the oil filler cap but never in the header tank. Only cause of mayo in the header tank is failed oil cooler.
I have changed 2 leaking coolers on late model V6,s so Im dubious about this alleged improvement on the later ones.
I have used a second hand cooler as a replacement, but as said, you need to take care with the thread on the cooler when installing it. Its not hard to cross thread the nuts and strip the threads on the cooler.

I find that placing the nut over the threads loose, then fitting the banjo bolt in the cooler to pull the cooler up in place BEFORE screwing the nut onto the cooler, greatly helps the thread life. The cooler can sit a fraction low otherwise, giving a risk of not catching the thread correctly with the nut.

Apologies if teaching egg sucking, but better safe. :)

mka306

« Reply #29 on: 07 June 2015, 18:56:07 »

I will buy a new one and get the coolant flushed out so hopefully all is well. If HG,s need doing then so be it but I'll start with the oil cooler and go from there.

Thanks to you all for the help it has made a big difference to how worried I was earlier today :y
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.