Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need part numbers for a wishbone refurb  (Read 7693 times)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
Need part numbers for a wishbone refurb
« on: 24 October 2016, 14:55:46 »

Does anyone have the VX part numbers for the front and rear bushes and ball joint?

How can I tell if my wishbones or if I buy some second hand ones are original VX?

Does anyone have the part number for the complete wishbones from VX?

Do all the FL models have the same wishbones?

If there are any alternative brand ball joints or bushes that are as good please let me know.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 14:58:16 by Andy A »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Need part numbers for a wishbone refurb
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2016, 15:52:09 »

By my records...

Rear bush    9156605
Balljoint      90512982
Ball joint     90512982

Have Poly fronts, which are made by Powerflex so I have no Vx part no, sorry.

As far as I'm aware, all Omegas have the same wishbone. (That is to say, you may fit a 2003 Elite one to a 1994 2.0 GLS...the only difference being a small hole for the HID sensor, which I has already been there on all the wishbones I've ever seen, though in theory there may be NOS non-HID ones out there. You keep your existing small 'L'bracket and swap it over ontot he new wishbones.

I use genuine GM ones, though ball joint make isn't meant to be as critical as bush/rocker cover brand, most seem 'fine'. QH is an old (dead) brand with a good reputation.

The no-name wishbones I currently run on were bought 2nd hand, but were as-new condition, not even any rust. The bushes were all changed, only to discover on fitting that one of the ball joints was already clapped out! So cheap wishbones can have very short-lived ball joints, just to make you aware.

Again, no part no. for complete Vx wishbones, though I do know full retail is £190 each. You can make a pair up for around £100 (& maybe less) of the same spec, using all GM rubber, inc Poly.

:y
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 15:55:28 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 October 2016, 16:21:31 »

By my records...

Rear bush    9156605
Balljoint      90512982
Ball joint     90512982

Have Poly fronts, which are made by Powerflex so I have no Vx part no, sorry.

As far as I'm aware, all Omegas have the same wishbone. (That is to say, you may fit a 2003 Elite one to a 1994 2.0 GLS...the only difference being a small hole for the HID sensor, which I has already been there on all the wishbones I've ever seen, though in theory there may be NOS non-HID ones out there. You keep your existing small 'L'bracket and swap it over ontot he new wishbones.

I use genuine GM ones, though ball joint make isn't meant to be as critical as bush/rocker cover brand, most seem 'fine'. QH is an old (dead) brand with a good reputation.

The no-name wishbones I currently run on were bought 2nd hand, but were as-new condition, not even any rust. The bushes were all changed, only to discover on fitting that one of the ball joints was already clapped out! So cheap wishbones can have very short-lived ball joints, just to make you aware.

Again, no part no. for complete Vx wishbones, though I do know full retail is £190 each. You can make a pair up for around £100 (& maybe less) of the same spec, using all GM rubber, inc Poly.

:y

Does the new rear bush rubber need to be installed in a particular rotation in a direction to the front or to side of the car?

Why fit poly bushes to the front instead of the VX ones?

Thanks 

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 October 2016, 16:29:24 »

Ah, simple. The rear bushes on the front wishbones require no orientation. You may read the 'rear bush needs to be oriented correctly' on oof... this refers to the 'doughnut bush' on the rear subframe, and so of no worry to you. 

You do, however, need a handy ten-ton press. Most garages have one, and you can often get a bush pressed in for the price of a bit of money in the tea/coffee/beer fund.

the bushes are gandly named 'silicone-filled hydrobushes' which were a fine idea, giving a soft, gooey ride. Sadly unlike a solid lump of rubber, the fluid inside leaks out, and the handling is compromised, and you have an MoT fail on your hands. Solid Polys are a very common mod. It is the front bush that normally fails. (well, technically fails first, most cars become chronic and undriveable before the rear has failed) the Poly bushes slightly tighten the handling (but not to any 'boy racer level' trust me, you technically lose a little 'softness' in the drive, but nothing frankly noticeable, the Omega remains one of the smoothest drives out there)

Nothing wrong with the Vx ones, per se, in that they're the best quality of a type which does eventually fail. But fail they do, the Polys last 'forever' it's like replacing mild steel with stainless.  :)

Extra:
There's an element of fitting Omega wishbones which often leads to cockups and empty wallets... you need to torque up the wishbones after the car is lowered/the weight on the suspension. With Polys this isn't required. Just torque them up whilst up in the air. Saves a bit of faff  ;)
« Last Edit: 24 October 2016, 16:31:36 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 October 2016, 17:02:28 »

Do these look genuine VX to you?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53447058@N05/30241111910/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53447058@N05/30422743342/in/dateposted-public/

If they are I might get them and then I can refurb them before the MOT in March.

I was thinking about getting a universal bush removal/install kit that would do for my sons car as well in the future and use an impact wrench on it to make the job easier. What do you think?

Thanks

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2016, 09:21:36 »

I can't remember how you'd tell if they are genuine GM for sure or not, can't remember if I've ever seen a set of pukka ones - but those have a weld all the way round the rear bush, so in theory, even if pattern, are very much up to the job.  :y I don't have a full weld seam on mine, but haven't died in a ball of flames yet.  :D

They look a nice pair, if cheap enough well worth getting and rebuilding.  :)

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2016, 10:26:21 »

Might be able to get them for £20 each. Not sure if that's a good price or not.

Just found a pair of new QH control arms/wishbones for around £80 a pair. Not sure if anyone has any experience with them.

Years ago they used to be a vary good make and match for a replacement of any OE part. Don't know how good there wishbones are.

Thanks for all the info.  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2016, 10:33:46 »

Well I paid £20 each for my cheapie ones, second hand, decent price, I reckon  :)

The QH, I'm not sure, as you say, they used to be very good. Ball joint I'd say good, but can't say how good the rubber will be. Mind, if those ones are GM, then you might as well just replace the front bush will Poly, paint and fit them, unles you know the other bush/ball joint is knackered  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 October 2016, 10:38:48 »

Do these look genuine VX to you?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53447058@N05/30241111910/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/53447058@N05/30422743342/in/dateposted-public/

If they are I might get them and then I can refurb them before the MOT in March.

I was thinking about getting a universal bush removal/install kit that would do for my sons car as well in the future and use an impact wrench on it to make the job easier. What do you think?

Thanks
Those are most definitely not GM items.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 October 2016, 10:52:59 »

What would the tell-tale signs be of genuine GM? - a yellow two letter code sticker for one, but this is often peeled off over time.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 October 2016, 11:07:13 »

The person said they are 100% working fine and are Vauxhall Genuine OE. Here is a better photo of them both and shows both sides.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=568360&image=875758561&images=875758549,875758561&formats=0,0&format=0

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=568360&image=875758094&images=875758094,875758104&formats=0,0&format=0

One looks like it is stamped with a mark and the other doesn't have one.

I'm still waiting for a return phone call.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 October 2016, 11:17:07 »

In laymans terms, genuine DO NOT have LEFT/RIGHT stickers on them :-X

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 October 2016, 11:36:48 »

Also for clarity.

Front Wishbone Horizontal (front) Bushes:

If replacing like for like these MUST be oriented correctly. Haynes give details. Not all wishbone manufacturers are too careful about this. When refitting the wishbones, these front bolts MUST be torqued correctly with the weight of the car on the wheels.

If fitting Polybushes, these can be popped in with a wipe of copperslip and the bolts tightened with the car jacked. This is because the bushes work in a different way. Much easier for DIY fitting, almost worth the purchase price alone.

Front Wishbone Vertical (rear) Bushes:

These have no orientation beyond the obvious, but need pressing in with care as the outer bush surface can distort. Again, due to the way they work, the bolts can be torqued with the car jacked.

Rear Subframe Front (donut) Bushes:

If replacing these like for like, they also have a specific orientation, and MUST be fitted the correct way. Failure to do this will, at best, result in crap handling and, at worst, complete bush failure. Again the poly bushes have no orientation and can simply be pushed in and the bolts tightened. When fitting either type, only do one side at a time otherwise you'll damage the rear bushes and it makes refitting the bolts alot harder as nothing will line up.

Rear Subframe Rear (diff) Bushes:

These are no longer available, be gentle with them.

And that's about as plain as I can make all of that... :y

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2016, 12:18:33 »

Also for clarity.

Front Wishbone Horizontal (front) Bushes:

If replacing like for like these MUST be oriented correctly. Haynes give details. Not all wishbone manufacturers are too careful about this. When refitting the wishbones, these front bolts MUST be torqued correctly with the weight of the car on the wheels.

If fitting Polybushes, these can be popped in with a wipe of copperslip and the bolts tightened with the car jacked. This is because the bushes work in a different way. Much easier for DIY fitting, almost worth the purchase price alone.

Front Wishbone Vertical (rear) Bushes:

These have no orientation beyond the obvious, but need pressing in with care as the outer bush surface can distort. Again, due to the way they work, the bolts can be torqued with the car jacked.

Rear Subframe Front (donut) Bushes:

If replacing these like for like, they also have a specific orientation, and MUST be fitted the correct way. Failure to do this will, at best, result in crap handling and, at worst, complete bush failure. Again the poly bushes have no orientation and can simply be pushed in and the bolts tightened. When fitting either type, only do one side at a time otherwise you'll damage the rear bushes and it makes refitting the bolts alot harder as nothing will line up.

Rear Subframe Rear (diff) Bushes:

These are no longer available, be gentle with them.

And that's about as plain as I can make all of that... :y

Nice write-up Al. Just printed it out for future reference.  :y

How are the ball joints on the original wishbones connected?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 October 2016, 12:33:58 »

Three rivets, need drilling or careful grinding to remove :y I normally hold the arm in a vice and slice the heads off with a grinder... takes all of a minute to do both :y

All new balljoints come with nuts and bolts... makes refitting a doddle, even if they fail prematurely  :y

Was trying to trawl the dregs of my memory re the wishbones pictured, think it might have been firstline that had to label which side was which ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.