Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: twitchy backend  (Read 8617 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: twitchy backend
« Reply #45 on: 02 February 2017, 08:29:41 »

I had a front wishbone rear bush fail once, and it felt for all the world like the back end was stepping out whenever I reversed a turn at "spirited" pace.
There's a thought. I fitted new ATEC wishbones in March 2014 when I bought the car. They have done 20,000 miles. I will check them out.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 February 2017, 09:51:36 »

I had a front wishbone rear bush fail once, and it felt for all the world like the back end was stepping out whenever I reversed a turn at "spirited" pace.
There's a thought. I fitted new ATEC wishbones in March 2014 when I bought the car. They have done 20,000 miles. I will check them out.

It was a strange feeling. Used to get it coming off roundabouts particularly. A bit of steering lock and put a bit of power on and it felt like the back end had gone, yet you could actually proceed to lean on the steering quite hard without it actually letting go, just something "shifted" as you applied steering input. It really felt like it was at the back end but, as said, it was the front wishbone bushes in the end.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 February 2017, 14:35:41 »

Ah, well, yes. Properly shit tyres ;D

Did you honestly expect then to be good - it even says on the labels they will be lethal in the wet.

The properly translated tyre labelling:
A - Covers a huge range of somewhere between adequate for miss daisy to a good tyre.
B - Pretty shit, and unsuitable for a medium powered car. Wear 2 pairs of pants when driving.
C - Really shit. Unbelievably shit.  Keep the life insurance policies up to date.

If you want an adequate tyre, A is your only choice.

wow G must be terrifying then. and D, E and F.  :o

turns out the difference between A and C is 7% more total stopping distance approx, from 50mph in the wet.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 February 2017, 20:20:53 »

Ah, well, yes. Properly shit tyres ;D

Did you honestly expect then to be good - it even says on the labels they will be lethal in the wet.

The properly translated tyre labelling:
A - Covers a huge range of somewhere between adequate for miss daisy to a good tyre.
B - Pretty shit, and unsuitable for a medium powered car. Wear 2 pairs of pants when driving.
C - Really shit. Unbelievably shit.  Keep the life insurance policies up to date.

If you want an adequate tyre, A is your only choice.

wow G must be terrifying then. and D, E and F.  :o

turns out the difference between A and C is 7% more total stopping distance approx, from 50mph in the wet.
Probably from the best wet gripping C to the absolute bottom end of A.  A is the minimum you should be looking at.  Anything else is shit.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 February 2017, 20:23:33 »

As Al seems very confident re the diff bushes and tb about the tyres they're probably right. However would the rear toe cause such an issue?
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 February 2017, 22:38:23 »

If the tyres are that low, which they are reading into Pauls other thread, then that has to be first port of call :y

If new tyres don't cure the problem then it will need revisiting...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 04 February 2017, 17:07:08 »

Today I jacked front of car up, heaved the hub about, could not detect any slack. Removed wheels, inspected lower joints, look fine. Pity, was hopeful there. MOT is due next month, I'll see how the tester heaves it about, he may find some slack there.i
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.