Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre question  (Read 6905 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre question
« Reply #30 on: 13 March 2017, 22:18:01 »

As  a fellow member has often said on a non motoring website,,,,,, buy the most expensive item, a set of tyres in this case, and you have bragging rites lol, regardless of what us poor "lesser mortals" can afford. Just drive sensibly, allowing for the road conditions, and a "budget tyre, will be just as good nearly, as a "super duper, VERY expensive" brand  ;D

I couldn't even tell you what the two pairs on my car are, aside from the fact that they were less than £65 per tyre, over two years ago. I used to care about tyres, but now that we're talking about massive low profiles(I'm more used to 185/70 TR 13s - Pirellis for preference - where it does make a worthwhile difference) it makes sod all difference to me what they are. I expect demand at least 20k miles from a pair, closer to 30k is better.

DrAndyB

• Neston / Cheshire
    • 2.5 V6 CDX Manual (MFL)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2017, 22:20:52 »

So it looks like its between the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2.

DrAndyB, nice Omega.  ;)  I always did like the smoothness from the 2.5 V6 over the 2.6. Wish I would have kept mine. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

:y Thanks, and she is the Manual Transmission  :y. I've had her from new so is a genuine mota and kept inside and only really take her out to play in the dry  8)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2017, 00:20:52 »

here's the calcs

euro test is from 50mph in the wet

total stopping distance for average family car in the wet is 85m

the difference in braking distances between each euro grade, A to G,  is roughly 3m

so B tyres compared to A = 3m more distance, 3m/85m = 3.5% more total stopping distance
C tyres over A = 6m more distance, 6m/85m = 7% more total stopping distance

all figures approx.

of course the euro test could indeed be entirely fake, like the moon landing 8)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2017, 10:48:17 »

Well, for our purposes, it is. It won't have been carried out with the tyre mounted on an Omega. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't carried out on a real car at all, but a test rig in a lab.

Road surface, weight of the car, suspension geometry and damping characteristics will all have an effect. As with most things, dumbing something down to an "A" rating actually removes any useful information from the equation.

Just like our dishwasher. A rated, so really good, then.  :y ...except that it doesn't get anything clean if you use it on the economy programme on which the A rating is based, so I manually select the 70 degree C "pots and pans" programme every time, otherwise I might as well fill the bowl and get my marigolds on.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 March 2017, 14:50:16 »

Well, for our purposes, it is. It won't have been carried out with the tyre mounted on an Omega. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't carried out on a real car at all, but a test rig in a lab.

Road surface, weight of the car, suspension geometry and damping characteristics will all have an effect. As with most things, dumbing something down to an "A" rating actually removes any useful information from the equation.

Just like our dishwasher. A rated, so really good, then.  :y ...except that it doesn't get anything clean if you use it on the economy programme on which the A rating is based, so I manually select the 70 degree C "pots and pans" programme every time, otherwise I might as well fill the bowl and get my marigolds on.
[/highlight]

So, so true. I have the same problem myself.  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 March 2017, 18:55:06 »

Indeed. Stuff the environment, not one of us here gives 2 hoots about that (and even if we did, the ineffectiveness of the economy programs means its worse on environment, as everything has to go through several times), just give us something that works.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 March 2017, 19:01:55 »

here's the calcs

euro test is from 50mph in the wet

total stopping distance for average family car in the wet is 85m

the difference in braking distances between each euro grade, A to G,  is roughly 3m

so B tyres compared to A = 3m more distance, 3m/85m = 3.5% more total stopping distance
C tyres over A = 6m more distance, 6m/85m = 7% more total stopping distance

all figures approx.

And its all 'dangle berries'. Complete utter 'dangle berries'.  I can tell you that certain premium brand A rated tyres can stop from in excess of 70mph easily within 100m in the wet. I can tell you some other A rated ones need about 25m more (so that 25%, just within A rated tyres).  I can also tell you that the Autogrip C rated did not stop within 400m in the *damp*.

The EU labelling *IS* a complete waste of time.  It serves no benefit whatsoever to the consumer, and is only beneficial to the marketing departments.  Hence the sheer number of "what tyres should I fit to my Omega".
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 March 2017, 19:16:48 »

Talking of tyres, there's a lovely crack on the inner wall of the NSF tyre on the daily driver, an RT2 that still has 6mm of tread on it. Shame it's not a rear one as they seem to be down to 2.5mm and it's MOT time in a month!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 March 2017, 19:20:31 »

Talking of tyres, there's a lovely crack on the inner wall of the NSF tyre on the daily driver, an RT2 that still has 6mm of tread on it. Shame it's not a rear one as they seem to be down to 2.5mm and it's MOT time in a month!
That's not great.  Does it look discoloured, like my GY's did (GY and Dunlop same company in euro)
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 March 2017, 19:30:11 »

Sorry, should have said, due to our extremely well maintained roads and lack of any street lighting (hey lets turn it all off and save the planet....) you could say there was a little thump encountered early hours of the morning......

....on another point, I've always found RT's and RT2's crack between the treads over time.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2017, 19:35:44 »

Sorry, should have said, due to our extremely well maintained roads and lack of any street lighting (hey lets turn it all off and save the planet....) you could say there was a little thump encountered early hours of the morning......
Ah, bugger!  Still, hopefully not damaged the rim, unlike Mrs TB a couple of years back, when she hit the Grand Canyon, just outside Brackley.

....on another point, I've always found RT's and RT2's crack between the treads over time.
Don't think mine ever lasted long enough to notice ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 March 2017, 19:43:31 »

Ah, bugger!  Still, hopefully not damaged the rim, unlike Mrs TB a couple of years back, when she hit the Grand Canyon, just outside Brackley.

I've noticed it on all the RT's / RT2's I've had after a while, it rarely happened on TT's or 9090's so I think it must be down to the compound.

I really need to buy four tyres for a set of 18's so the next upgrade can take place on the other one, poor Serek has been holding onto parts for ages now...! Guess i'll have to buy four more for the daily first... Will keep the other good RT2 and make it the spare wheel so I can ditch the steel one, be much happier with that in the future.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 March 2017, 08:59:54 »

I've noticed it on all the RT's / RT2's I've had after a while, it rarely happened on TT's or 9090's so I think it must be down to the compound.

I really need to buy four tyres for a set of 18's so the next upgrade can take place on the other one, poor Serek has been holding onto parts for ages now...! Guess i'll have to buy four more for the daily first... Will keep the other good RT2 and make it the spare wheel so I can ditch the steel one, be much happier with that in the future.

Got 4 Neuton NT5000's on my car with 5.5mm of tread left. The date on them is 1-12 failed its MOT on Friday because they were cracked and split badly down between the groves. I have only had them on the car since June 2014.  :o  :'(
« Last Edit: 15 March 2017, 09:05:06 by Andy A »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 March 2017, 09:46:43 »

Shit tyres don't do storage.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 March 2017, 09:54:22 »

I liked the grip of the tyre but I won't be buying them again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.