Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesco 99 Ron Petrol - Avoid???  (Read 5577 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Tesco 99 Ron Petrol - Avoid???
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2007, 19:05:40 »

edwardmickey, and he is around the North Bucks/Northamptonshire area...

Thanks TB. That's the chap.  I'll PM him and see if he's had any more trouble.

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

edwardmickey

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2007, 20:17:50 »

Tesco Swines!!!

I drove from Milton Keynes to Brackley, no problems.  Filled up my tank at Tesco in Brackley, then - 1 mile later at TheBoy, EM light on - Tech 2 - emissions.

Once TheBoy reset the light, it ain't come on since but as for MPG, I have no idea since my Trip Comp ain't been reading right for a few weeks now.

Keeping away from Tesco Filling Stations for a while - every little hurts!!

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2007, 22:19:36 »

I found BP Ultimate gave best MPG but expensive. Texaco normal unleaded made engine run smooth and gave decent MPG.  Asda fuel seems to be 50% water and returns awful MPG.  So last 2 tanks have been Shell Optimax - smooth, more responsive and better MPG round town - also from most used and cheapest station in town, so nice and fresh too.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Essex_Andy

• Have a guess?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2007, 22:30:46 »

I use tescos at Lakeside as I pass it each way on my daily commute.

To date no probs at all and noticable improvement all round....but keeping eyes wide open re any signs
If an artic overtakes you, you're driving too slow!!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 February 2007, 22:53:36 »

I drove from Milton Keynes to Brackley, no problems.  Filled up my tank at Tesco in Brackley, then - 1 mile later at TheBoy, EM light on - Tech 2 - emissions.

Once TheBoy reset the light, it ain't come on since but as for MPG, I have no idea since my Trip Comp ain't been reading right for a few weeks now.

There's hope that it will at least clear and stay cleared then. If you believe the hype Lambda sensors are now gold dust and I don't fancy trying to get (let alone paying for) 4 of the damn things!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 March 2007, 09:27:25 »

No expert on Lambda sensors, but is it possible to clean them if you encounter a problem rather than replace them?

I don't know how thin the coating is on the sensor tips or how sensitive they are to damage by chemicals or other cleaning methods, but theorectically you could remove the contamination (whatever it is) and return the sensor to a serviceable condition. Unless the contamination has damaged or removed the coating of course!

I imagine that the Vx dealer will just replace any sensors that come up as faulty as a result of dodgy fuel (thats what TIS will tell them to do), and of course they will make a killing on them! The answer will probably be that they can't get any and your car will be off the road for two weeks!
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2007, 09:43:52 »

No expert on Lambda sensors, but is it possible to clean them if you encounter a problem rather than replace them?  

That's a point, actually. Lambda sensors can be cleaned by heating them in the flame of a blowtorch. People have done this to revive wideband O2s that have been used to tune engines running lead substitute.

Kevin

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2007, 09:55:17 »

I imagine that the Vx dealer will just replace any sensors that come up as faulty as a result of dodgy fuel (thats what TIS will tell them to do), and of course they will make a killing on them! The answer will probably be that they can't get any and your car will be off the road for two weeks!

Thinking about it, does anyone know if the emissions light will clear if the problem goes away or does it need to be reset using a Tech2?

I've got a Cheapo Tech2 on order from Ebay anyway. Might have a go at cleaning up the sensors in a blowtorch flame. Assuming that's what the fault is, of course.

Kevin

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2007, 10:09:48 »

Recent events do answer the initial question though:

MPG using Tesco fuel will drop. Some people are only getting 3 miles on a full tank! [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2007, 10:41:45 »

If I've said it once, I've said it about three times, "DONT USE SUPERMARKET FUEL".

My freind works in the industry and he said it's not the same.  Something to do with the additives being added locally and different in composition.  Can't quite remember.
Over the years, I've known a few people who use it suffer strange effects which they thought may be fuel related.

I only ever use it in an emergency.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2007, 11:51:20 »

"DONT USE SUPERMARKET FUEL"

Problem is, for every expert who says it's crap there's another who says it comes out of the same tankers as the big names. I'm not especially pro or anti supermarkets. I filled up there because I was passing when the tank was empty.

What this does highlight is that there's a quality control problem in the industry and against that backdrop whose fuel can you trust?

Kevin

Nickbat

« Reply #26 on: 01 March 2007, 13:26:37 »

"DONT USE SUPERMARKET FUEL"

Problem is, for every expert who says it's crap there's another who says it comes out of the same tankers as the big names. I'm not especially pro or anti supermarkets. I filled up there because I was passing when the tank was empty.

What this does highlight is that there's a quality control problem in the industry and against that backdrop whose fuel can you trust?

Kevin

Well, the bottom line is that quality certification is standard throughout the industry. While there may be slight differences in composition (Tesco 99RON contains up 5% bio-ethanol), it is not right to imply that supermarket fuel is substandard per se. Indeed, if you go to http://www.greenergy.com who supply Tesco you can view product certification on line. It would appear that something has gone wrong somewhere in the supply chain, but the cause is baffling the experts at the moment and those who blame Morrisons and Tesco are, to my mind, misguided. You wouldn't blame the corner shop owner if you found a slug in a tin of beans...you'd be on to the food manufacturer. Same logic must surely apply here.    

Nickbat

« Reply #27 on: 01 March 2007, 13:32:59 »

Having re-read it, I mean that obviously you'd take the beans back to the shop, but you shouldn't take out your anger on the shopkeeper. Those who bought duff petrol had a contract with Tescos/Morrisons and will, quite rightly, need to take it up with them. It was only apportionment of the blame that I was wittering on about. ;)  

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 01 March 2007, 14:22:48 »

With petrol I found Shell was good for mileage, as that is what was sold at Exeter and Brent Knoll north bound, and I always get good consumption from there to home, I have no Shell near me in Worcester so use Tesco 97RON and it guzzles that, I reckon I get 10mpg but since it is only used on warm up not too bothered.

Last time I Shell filled was going to Cornwall last year when I had both tanks full, but couldn't get any gas Friday night so was 25 miles down, and had to use it from Exeter to Okehampton :(.

I have just stuck a load of V-power from Shell into my 2.5 and the difference was noticable. Quicker pickup, faster response was using Esso 95 before as it was more convenient.....

I just may have been converted........

Gaffers

Martin_1962

« Reply #29 on: 01 March 2007, 15:26:41 »

For the same power you need more Tesco 99 RON as the Ethanol has less energy per litre than petrol.

People were geting 1mpg worse on it than BP/Shell stuff
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.