Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tesco 99 Ron Petrol - Avoid???  (Read 5569 times)

Nickbat

Re: Tesco 99 Ron Petrol - Avoid???
« Reply #45 on: 02 March 2007, 16:25:24 »

Thanks for your knowledge about Greenergy. The point was, if any fuel supplier changes the formula of their fuel that we "unknowingly" fill up with, then they are liable for any damage to our vehicles. Would you please explain why ETHANOL is added without Mr & Mrs Joe Soaps knowledge. If it's that bloody good they should be shouting it from the tree tops and advertising it at the pumps. Have not heard a great fanfare about it. Unusual for "TONE". It is part of his legacy. Not to mention RED KEN. Ooooops Sorry. Did'nt mean to mention that.

They put 5% bio-ethanol to "help cut greenhouse gas emissions". Don't get me started on all this carbon footprint stuff, though. I could rant on for hours. ;)

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 02 March 2007, 17:12:19 »

I'll confess to using standard unleaded from Tesco, it's convenient as the wife goes there on a regular shopping trip with mum.  It's not until now that I recall that I've been saying for weeks, that, the car seems a bit sluggish, especially for a 3.0l auto, ocasionally I use Esso which was noticably different...  not totally sure if the ethanol problem, that's the problem that Tesco will no doubt deny! is an issue with standard unleaded or just the super..

I'll watch the space V closely..  I think we're having some Shell inthe morning!

Dave C
Do it right, do it once................

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 02 March 2007, 17:31:19 »

Sorry for repeating myself (Omega Won't Start - Thread) will octane booster help get these poorly motors sorted????

DC :-*
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 18:05:15 by dave_c »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 02 March 2007, 18:01:21 »

Right here is a post to tryn to help you understand how it works,
you have all seen the giant tanks they store the petrol in yes?look loke giant gas tanks!! anyway imagine one of these full of petrol, now the top third is used to make optimax, bp super etc etc, becuase its the purest of the lot

second third is used to make esso unleaded ditto bp ditto shell etc etc becuase its fairly pure middle of the road stuff and is clean spirit

last third where obviously all the rubbish has settled and the heavy crap thats in there has gone, THIS IS WHAT TEH SUPERMARKETS BUY!! they then have the additives added and sell it to the unsuspecting public as cheap fuel, which it is!!! so they are not actually doing anything wrong just buying the least pure fuel, cos its cheaper!! now on your shopping cart cars this wouldnt normally affect teh way it runs cos they are usually basic cars, but anything with a bit of oomph in the engine requires better fuel really, but as in all cars the maps are actually programmed to run the stuff with less ignition advance hence low power and poor fuel economy, which is where no one checkls!!! they think cos they are saving a couple of p at eh pump they are getting a good deal!!
however to anyone who doesent believe it makes a difference do a brim to brim on a tankful of supermarkjet fuel then do a tank of optimax or bp super or taxaco super what ever you can get, then refill with the same stuff next time and again do a brim to brim mileage check and see the difference!!
the reason for the first fill is to clean the sensors and allow the engine to recover a little bit of its lost edge!! it may actually take two or three tanks to clean it out properly but i bet you get more than the supermarket fuel!!!
hope this helps
Omegatoy

P.S this is why you are told it all comes from teh same depots! cos it does !! and is also why you might see a shell tanker or a bp tanker delivering to your supermarket, cos it will be full of the crap stuff from the bottom of the tank and they need it emptied to get the next lot in!!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 18:04:00 by Omegatoy »

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 02 March 2007, 18:02:21 »

Latest

C&P'd from BBC.co.uk

Cambridgeshire County Council's trading standards department had the fuel sample tested at a London forensic science laboratory.

Tests carried out for Tesco and Morrisons have found no fault so far.  Yeh!

Many drivers said they had filled up at the two supermarkets before their cars started to show problems such as juddering and misfiring.

The petrol has been traced to a storage depot in Essex. The fuel industry is testing its own supplies.

It is thought silicone may have found its way into a batch of petrol in transit by ship into the UK or in storage containers.

Silicone is a compound containing the element silicon. Its uses include insulation and lubrication.

Automotive expert Professor Malcolm Fox, from the University of Leeds, said low levels of silicone could affect a car's performance.

"When it burns, it will form silicon dioxide and will deposit a very thin sheet on the sensor - the sensor is in the exhaust - and that probably gives a false signal to the engine computer."

DC
« Last Edit: 02 March 2007, 18:03:18 by dave_c »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 02 March 2007, 18:20:59 »

I read somewhere that Trading Standards did an independant test on a fuel sample taken from a punter's car and found silicone.

Interesting that supermarkets are able to buy lower grade fuel than the big names. It's that sort of insight from the industry that really helps because without it' it's very difficult to be subjective about the quality of what you have purchased. I certainly notice the difference between good fuel and bad in my Westfield but it's got 11:1 compression and very basic engine management. It's also not as refined as an Omega and gets driven hard more of the time  so if it runs rough you generally hear / feel it. I've not really had the Omega long enough to have noticed a difference between fuels as I'm probably not 100% used to the car yet, but in my previous "tin top" I just used to use the cheapest fuel (which was often Shell, but other times Morrisons  >:( ).

If you change fuel it can take quite a while for your car to extract the best performance from it, especially if a poor fuel has caused knock retard to kick in. The ECU will quickly retard the ignition from the default setting if it detects knock, but the timing is then only very slowly "ratcheted up" if there is no knock present. As Omegatoy says, if you decide to experiment with better fuel give it a good few tankfuls of exclusive use before you draw any conclusions. You might notice an improvement immediately, but you'll probably notice  bigger improvement if you persevere.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.