Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello, please educate me...(x20xev qus)  (Read 5312 times)

Abiton

Re: Hello, please educate me...(x20xev qus)
« Reply #45 on: 24 May 2007, 18:46:59 »

Fancy a trip down the A43?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 24 May 2007, 18:51:15 »

Fancy a trip down the A43?
time is the problem at the moment. where are you?
Grumpy old man

Abiton

« Reply #47 on: 24 May 2007, 18:59:42 »

Just S of Oxford, but don't worry if you're busy, my Golf's only (current!) problem is alternator, and I can fix that between now and when we next really need a car... probably  ::).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2007, 19:01:57 »

Just S of Oxford, but don't worry if you're busy, my Golf's only (current!) problem is alternator, and I can fix that between now and when we next really need a car... probably  ::).
What year is it, Tech2 can only do 2.0l from 97 onwards. Early requires a Tech1, and I know of one in Oxfordshire ;)
Grumpy old man

Abiton

« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2007, 19:38:06 »

Ah, N-reg, 96, so I'll PM you my phone number to forward to your contact near me? And beers will be bought for this kindness next time you're around here.  :y

Just popped the ECU back in, still got codes 14 & 15, no others. I'm now wondering whether the fact that it still believes these things are/have been wrong means it's still operating on info it had then, so the more changes I make to e.g. the ICV, the further it's getting from what it's used to. But surely the EML light would still be on if that were the case?  :-/

Abiton

« Reply #50 on: 30 May 2007, 13:22:47 »

OK, sorry to resurrect this one, but I've finally got somewhere with it.

New ICV fitted just now. Foot off throttle no longer resulting in stupidly high revs (ever). I'm guessing that my attempts to clean the old ICV neglected the bypass drillings as I mentioned today on Danny's thread (old valve does have them, just hard to see). The return spring may also have been too weak for its role. I'm thinking of milling off one side of the old valve to have a look how it all goes internally. Edit 1430: Got the end cap off instead. 'tain't quite how I expected inside. Under the crimped-on steel endcap there's a plastic 'bung with an o-ring seal against the inside of the main cylindrical housing. The bypass drillings communicate through to this end, and to a second valve which is on the same shaft as the one in the middle. I was surprised to find that my cleaning had indeed removed all the junk from this end of things too, though I did try to move the valves as I cleaned, and propped them open when it was in the ultrasonic. The second valve seat appears to have some asymmetric wear, which was perhaps 'concealed' from having an adverse effect by all the gunk that was formerly there, I guess...May also have been an air leak via the end cap/o-ring, which was in quite poor condition.  I'll try to take some photos later. Would anyone like to volunteer to host/post them, as I'm a bit ignorant about how to achieve this?

Drive is a bit jerky at light throttle, and idle a bit high at a shade over 1K, but I'm hoping  the ECU will figure out the new status quo over the next little while and everything should come good.

Cheers everyone who's helped me with this, and  :y to those who said ICV as the main problem.

;D ;D
« Last Edit: 30 May 2007, 14:41:39 by Abiton »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.