Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat!  (Read 2528 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Thermostat!
« Reply #30 on: 09 March 2008, 22:20:08 »

Sounds like a stat.  Wondering if we need a stat changing party, as thats the only thing I can think of for my coolant leak now :(

I'm up for that

I thought you had a knackered stat about a year ago Martin.........havent you changed it yet?  ::) ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2008, 08:20:37 »

Daz

Drop the coolant out (into a  bowl for re-use if its fresh).

Then pop the top hose off the rad (battery end) and try blowing through hose.....if the stat is knackered then you wont be able to blow through the pipe....

And you can get the stat insert on its own although the recommended approach is to change the whole body becasue it can be the stat seat face that wears as well as the wax capsule failing.

Ow yes, the bridge piece is about a tenner.

vrba

• Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10 March 2008, 10:39:14 »

pleas post some pictures if you can while you doing it couse i am having little problem with cooling sistem also and now doing gasket so ewerithing is removed. 1 thermo is on radiator but those 2 behind the engine (one big and one small) dont know for what are they. mayebe that is what is whrong on my mega

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 March 2008, 11:03:46 »

Daz, it should be a straightforward job but can be a right pain in the chuff if things get stuck fast....

Plenum & injectors off to reveal the top of the oil cooler and the stat housing at the front.  Bucket ready to catch dropped coolant if clean and fresh.  If not, you need new.  The b*rst*rd bold referred to is the one which holds the dipstick, engine lifting lug and transfer pipe onto the passenger side of the engine.  Remove that but leave the water hose connected as well as the two torx keeping the stat housing onto the block top.

The transfer pipe is a push fit into the stat housing but can need a fair bit of wriggling/pulling/twisting to get it to pop free.  Once its free, remove hose, remove transfer pipe and stat torx bolts and pop off stat housing.

There were, I think, 5 different sets of hands trying to release the pipe on Kates car at the cambelt doo and all to no avail.  It all went the shape of the pear when a lever was introduced to try to force it out and we broke the locating lug from the transfer pipe.  At that stage, it was broken beyond repair and so was then removed by means of a chisel and lump hammer.

Once out, it was found there was no stat within the housing.

Fortunately, issunaz had a spare housing and pipe so it was all reassembled.  It was decided by those more cleverer than what I is that the two seals between the pipe and housing could be reused.  Trust me, its worth replacing them to save having to part strip it all back down again when the engine bits are all chuffin hot....   :-X

Reassembly is, in the best Haynes tradition, reverse of removal.  Remember to use enough coolant to bring the mix back to 50/50.

As said, should be a straightforward job but be prepared for a real challenge!  It took 4 or 5 hours, I think, to do Kates at the doo last month.....   :'(

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10 March 2008, 11:06:19 »

It was decided by those more cleverer than what I is that the two seals between the pipe and housing could be reused.

Was that me?

I cant remember as I got asked so many questions  :-/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10 March 2008, 11:09:04 »

It was decided by those more cleverer than what I is that the two seals between the pipe and housing could be reused.

Was that me?

The two O seals appeared fine so the grey goo in your gun was used to do the deed.

I hold my hands up to breaking the locating lug though!   ;D

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 10 March 2008, 11:51:55 »

Hi
I replaced my thermostat just after Christmas. Can vouch for many of the difficulties it's possible to encounter!

Vx price for thermostat 90502201 is £36.35 +VAT  it comes complete with housing.
Seal ring 9129999 is NOT included with it £0.50 + VAT

Check for any difference in thickness of the fixing flange on the thermostat housing, the version supplied to me was thinner than original so had to shorten the fixing bolts as rearmost hole is blind tapped into cylinder block and bolt will bottom before tightening the flange.
I would recommend new "O" rings in the transfer pipe, and don't tighten the stat fixing fully down until you have the transfer pipe fitted and bolted in so as the pipe can centre in the thermostat housing better. A smear of silicone grease makes it easy to fit in the housing.

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 10 March 2008, 12:48:08 »

Thanks again Broocie! Mig gets lovely and warm now! :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 10 March 2008, 12:53:41 »

Was that me?

The two O seals appeared fine so the grey goo in your gun was used to do the deed.

I hold my hands up to breaking the locating lug though!   ;D

Daft thing is I knew I had some new seals and as I walked away from the car I thought 'go and get the new seals for Broocie' and then got distracted.

Martin_1962

« Reply #39 on: 10 March 2008, 16:19:03 »

Sounds like a stat.  Wondering if we need a stat changing party, as thats the only thing I can think of for my coolant leak now :(

I'm up for that

I thought you had a knackered stat about a year ago Martin.........havent you changed it yet?  ::) ;D

CAn't get the bastard bolt out :(

Big_Roger

• Intermediate Member
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2008, 16:35:35 »

Hi,
Provided the head of the bolt is not too rounded, I found you could get at it easier with a 3/8 mm AF deep offset ring spanner.

When I put it back, I used a hex head 8mm bolt. Easy to use ring spanner then.

HTH

Roger
Be patient ! Something else will go wrong for you to fix if you wait long enough !!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2008, 17:42:19 »

Move the PAS reservoir.....easy enough then.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #42 on: 10 March 2008, 19:18:41 »

I guess changing a stat on a 4 pot is easier than a v6.......coz guess....mines decided to start acting up to. This afternoon I noticed after going about 7/8 miles at 60mph the temp had dropped to 70C........went back upto 85/90 sitting in traffic, but as soon on a run again it was dropping to 70-75C  :(

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 March 2008, 20:42:17 »

Thanks yet again for all your excellent advise  :y
I was thinkin of doing a how too but may give that a miss ;D
i will keep you all posted of how i go on when the rain stops :y

Cheers
Daz
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kate

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • Drives people mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 March 2008, 23:06:49 »

Good luck Daz! :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.