Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto gearbox limp mode, not bc the selector switch  (Read 6455 times)

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
Auto gearbox limp mode, not bc the selector switch
« on: 22 December 2010, 22:37:54 »

Hello dear forum members and greetings from Norway where its 20 degrees below zero!

I have had a lot of use of this forum as a "passive" member, which have solved several problems I've had with my Omega.

Now, however, I have a problem where I've come to a dead end after reading the forum all evening and spending the last week trying to fix the car. I hope with all my heart that some of you with all your knowledge could shed some light on how to proceed to solve the problem.

This is the case:
The car is a 1996 Omega Estate 2,5 Auto. About a month ago I replaced the AR25 gearbox with an AR35 gearbox, from a newer donor car. After the replacement, the car had new life to it, it ran better and geared a lot smoother.

This past week the gearbox suddenly went into limp mode (stuck in third gear while in drive), with no warning light or anything. I can gear manually to 1st and 2nd gear but in 'Drive' its always stuck in third gear.

To solve the problem, I started with thoroughly cleaning all the contacts on the gearbox (I have just had the entire underside of the car sprayed with oil to stop rust, and there's been a lot of snow) so I thought there was a bad connection. This didn't help.

After reading more on this forum, my guess was the selector switch. The selector switch looked really bad inside so I decided to replace it with the selector switch from the old AR25-gearbox which used to work nicely and also looked nice inside. This didn't help either..

I have no problems with the LED's in the selector inside the car, they all work like they should.

I also have a cheap "tech2" diagnostic tool, "My Naff Code Reader"/Lonelec. When I first tried, I managed to connect to the gear box and there was a lot of error codes (unfortunately I didn't write them down. I cleared all the error codes, but one remained: "Power relay voltage low".

After that, I haven't been able to connect to the gearbox with the diagnostic tool. Today, I went to a friend of a friend that works in an Opel-dealer, and he tried to connect with both TECH2 and TECH1 but he was also unable to connect to the gearbox.

So now I'm pretty clueless where to look next. I don't have a clue where the relay's are, and the Opel-guy was too busy to provide me with any more assistance or wiring diagrams.

Does anybody have any tip on what to check for? I feel a bit desperate right now, I spent so many hours upgrading the car and now this happens.

Thank you for reading and I'm very thankful for every tip!

feeutfo

Re: Auto gearbox limp mode, not bc the selector switch
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2010, 00:09:09 »

Maybe someone with tis can help. Not a snow mode issue I guess, sounds like your beyond the simpler causes.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2010, 09:43:26 »

Yes TIS could probably be useful.

Oh, and by the way, the gearbox oil and filter has been changed and the level seems fine.

Also, the car ALWAYS starts, so I don't think it is the cam shaft sensor. The cheap code reader doesn't show any error codes on the engine either..

Any suggestions will be deeply appreiciated!

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2010, 12:15:18 »

Maybe someone with tis can help. Not a snow mode issue I guess, sounds like your beyond the simpler causes.

My first thoughts also. Snow button powered on.

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2010, 12:17:24 »

My first thoughts also. Snow button powered on.
Def worth checking.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2010, 12:20:38 »

Thanks guys.

So you mean that the snow mode button has jammed? The button doesn't light up, but I can try pressing it to see if that changes anything.

Perhaps disconnecting the whole button?
I'll run down to the car to have a quick look right away..

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2010, 12:27:42 »

Went down to the parking garage here at work and put the car in drive. Pressed the snow mode button several times but the car still started in 3rd gear and sport function wouldn't work.

Didn't try to disconnect the whole thing, should I perhaps try that? Wierd that the diagnostic tools (both mine and at the dealer) can't connect to the gearbox?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: 23 December 2010, 12:34:37 by Remo »

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2010, 12:50:59 »

After reading more around, I think I should mention that I had a xenon bulb blown last week and the gearbox problem appeared right after I changed the bulb. Should obvioulsly have no connection to the gearbox problem, but I just wanted to mention it.

Have checked the two gearbox fuses over the footwell and they are fine. However, perhaps I should check ALL fuses.

sandune

• Omega Baron
  • Essex Southend
    • 2.6 Omega Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 December 2010, 13:00:32 »

Have you checked the selector contact switch? Maybe on refitting the new gear -box the alighnment is slightly off.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 December 2010, 13:03:14 »

Have you checked the selector contact switch? Maybe on refitting the new gear -box the alighnment is slightly off.

Yes I have changed the selector switch. The allignment should be good. Also, the LED's in the gear selector in the car are fine.

This drives me mad, definately ruins my Christmas.. Thanks for all your help

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2010, 08:40:00 »

I'm just about to order a new gearbox ECU. Pretty expensive, but it's cheaper than leaving the car with the dealer (£150 pr hour).

Any last ideas before I place the order?
Thanks,

PDK1953

• Maidstone, Kent
    • 2.2 cdxi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2010, 09:14:40 »

I had a similar problem with my 1999 2.2 petrol estate recently. Gearbox kept going into limp home mode, so many error codes on reader was almost impossible to diagnose reason. It appears to me that the gearbox protection system is so sensitive that any small error switches it into limp home mode.... great in some respects but a nightmare to find the cause  ::)... like you i read the forum threads in detail, created my own thread, changed the selector switch, no effect...the cam sensor, no effect ...and finally the throttle potentiometer in the foot well, and success!!!  ;D.............. I'm not saying yours is the potentiometer, but if you can pick up a recycle one it might be worth a try ............ (a new one is about £150 !!!!)

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2010, 09:20:54 »

I had a similar problem with my 1999 2.2 petrol estate recently. Gearbox kept going into limp home mode, so many error codes on reader was almost impossible to diagnose reason. It appears to me that the gearbox protection system is so sensitive that any small error switches it into limp home mode.... great in some respects but a nightmare to find the cause  ::)... like you i read the forum threads in detail, created my own thread, changed the selector switch, no effect...the cam sensor, no effect ...and finally the throttle potentiometer in the foot well, and success!!!  ;D.............. I'm not saying yours is the potentiometer, but if you can pick up a recycle one it might be worth a try ............ (a new one is about £150 !!!!)

Thanks a lot! I'll definately look in to that. Yeah, looks like its really sensitive.

I have a friend with the same car, maybe I can talk him into "borrowing" the sensor to me for testing purposes.

I'll some time reading about this throttle potentiometer now.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2010, 09:29:41 »

Thanks a lot! I'll definately look in to that. Yeah, looks like its really sensitive.

I have a friend with the same car, maybe I can talk him into "borrowing" the sensor to me for testing purposes.

Should I have throttle problems if this is the cause of my limp mode problem? The throttle response is normal and the engine revs up like it should

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2010, 11:39:05 »

Borrowing parts from another known good, is your best bet. Very handy actually. I suppose your first task is to repair communication to the box ecu. If a reader can't see it then maybe the box can't either, hence limp mode.
Theory behind snow mode error is that that function uses 3rd gear for gentle pull away in snow, which is the same as limp mode using third. Thing is pressing sport mode should over ride it, snow mode button is not lit at the time, and bothe sport and snow modes are unresponsive. Gear selector lights are correct. So it's in limp mode it seems to me.

Further diagnosis is difficult tbh, you need one of the admins on here with tech 2 experience. Markdtm, TheBoy, or Kevin Wood. Sugest a pm to the nearest one to you with a link to this thread.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2010, 11:41:49 by chrisgixer »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2010, 19:01:10 »

Borrowing parts from another known good, is your best bet. Very handy actually. I suppose your first task is to repair communication to the box ecu. If a reader can't see it then maybe the box can't either, hence limp mode.
Theory behind snow mode error is that that function uses 3rd gear for gentle pull away in snow, which is the same as limp mode using third. Thing is pressing sport mode should over ride it, snow mode button is not lit at the time, and bothe sport and snow modes are unresponsive. Gear selector lights are correct. So it's in limp mode it seems to me.

Further diagnosis is difficult tbh, you need one of the admins on here with tech 2 experience. Markdtm, TheBoy, or Kevin Wood. Sugest a pm to the nearest one to you with a link to this thread.

Think Markdtm is probably the nearest, the guy is in Norway Chris.

On a serious note, also worth checking alternator output voltage, Ive had a MV6 auto box keep throwing a wobble in limp mode because the voltage was too high.

Chris.

MartinP

• Dudley
    • BMW 320D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 December 2010, 00:14:37 »

I had a similar message, months after buying my Omega,
After changing the 1st/2ng gear solonoid, the oil & filter, cleaning the selector switch I found the problem was the Blue (I think), multi-plug next to the battery was not "clicked home" so giving connection problems.

Worth checking before spending money!

Martin

feeutfo

« Reply #17 on: 25 December 2010, 02:21:09 »

Think Markdtm is probably the nearest, the guy is in Norway Chris.

On a serious note, also worth checking alternator output voltage, Ive had a MV6 auto box keep throwing a wobble in limp mode because the voltage was too high.

Chris.
Ah, doesn't even work fro erricson any more either  ;D.      :-[

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 December 2010, 17:30:32 »

Went down to the parking garage here at work and put the car in drive. Pressed the snow mode button several times but the car still started in 3rd gear and sport function wouldn't work.

Didn't try to disconnect the whole thing, should I perhaps try that? Wierd that the diagnostic tools (both mine and at the dealer) can't connect to the gearbox?

Thanks again!

Did the snow button light up? If not, this suggests further investigation in this area.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 December 2010, 18:53:35 »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

No the snow mode button didn't light up at all, how do I go about investigating this further? Any tip? Do you mean that the snow mode could be jammed?

My plans for tomorrow (even tough it's 22 degrees below zero):
- Check alternator output voltage
- Check the multiplug (blue) connector and maybe spray it with electrical cleaner
- Check ALL fuses

I'm happy to do a £30 paypal-donation to the member who is spot on with the tip of the cause of the problem, all tough it may be a shot in the dark for you without inspecting the car.

I've tried Norwegian Opel/VX forums, but not a single reply.. Way more knowledge here with you guys:)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 December 2010, 22:44:49 »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

No the snow mode button didn't light up at all, how do I go about investigating this further? Any tip? Do you mean that the snow mode could be jammed?

My plans for tomorrow (even tough it's 22 degrees below zero):
- Check alternator output voltage
- Check the multiplug (blue) connector and maybe spray it with electrical cleaner
- Check ALL fuses

I'm happy to do a £30 paypal-donation to the member who is spot on with the tip of the cause of the problem, all tough it may be a shot in the dark for you without inspecting the car.

I've tried Norwegian Opel/VX forums, but not a single reply.. Way more knowledge here with you guys:)

I haven't been out in mine lately, but IIRC the selector has to be in Drive to allow snow mode to be selected. I was suggesting that if under the correct circumstances you were unable to select snow mode, it suggests that there is a problem with that circuit. I am certainly no expert, and hopefully one of our better qualified OOFers can advise further.

HTH :y
« Last Edit: 25 December 2010, 22:45:21 by ci643215 »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 December 2010, 22:17:32 »

As Shackeng said, the selector lever has to be in drive before you can select snow/winter mode. The button should light up and there should also be a light on the display panel.
If none of the above. pull off the gaiter around the selector lever and push out the snow/winter mode
panel and check the wiring connector is seated properly.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 December 2010, 22:24:29 »

As Shackeng said, the selector lever has to be in drive before you can select snow/winter mode. The button should light up and there should also be a light on the display panel.
If none of the above. pull off the gaiter around the selector lever and push out the snow/winter mode
panel and check the wiring connector is seated properly.

Thanks for the tip, just did it earlier today actually. There's no light in the winter mode light (or sport) at all. Tried to disconnect and reconnect the wiring connector to the winter button under the gaiter but still no joy unfortunately.

Today, I've also checked the following:
- Blue multiplug connector
- All fuses

There's a 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box that keeps breaking every week or so, but it has been so for as long as I have had the car, so I don't think this has something to do with the gearbox problem. Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram so I'm a bit confuses as to where to look (and also what this 30 amp fuses is for).

Still keep thinking about the fault code I got when my diagnostic tool managed to connect to the gearbox that one time; "Power relay voltage low"...

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 27 December 2010, 09:34:43 »

I realise that you have probably already done so, but when you put the AR35 in, did you replace the oil and filter? This is the first port of call with autobox problems.

Edit: Sorry, just read your later post confirming this.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2010, 09:36:05 by ci643215 »

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 27 December 2010, 09:45:11 »

"There's a 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box that keeps breaking every week or so"

That would worry me, although probably not connected. What does this fuse cover?

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 27 December 2010, 10:00:38 »

"There's a 30 amp fuse in the engine fuse box that keeps breaking every week or so"

That would worry me, although probably not connected. What does this fuse cover?

Yes, it's probably unrelated, but it is worrying. I have no clue what it covers, since the instruction manual doesn't cover the engine bay fuses and I have no wiring diagram.

But here's a pic showing which fuse that keeps breaking:

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 27 December 2010, 10:02:11 »

Pretty sure this has something to do with the glow relay, I've always had a problem with this so I keep "manually" glowing the car and this has always worked fine.

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 27 December 2010, 21:41:41 »

When you turn the ignition on does the "auto g/box" warning come up before you start the engine?, I had this with mine & it turned out to be the g/box ecu was at fault, apparently its unusual for them to go but worth a mention.

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 27 December 2010, 21:50:22 »

When you turn the ignition on does the "auto g/box" warning come up before you start the engine?, I had this with mine & it turned out to be the g/box ecu was at fault, apparently its unusual for them to go but worth a mention.

No there's no warning, but I think my car it pre the "warning era". I have a 95/96 model without dash computer so I'm really not sure if there warning for gearbox faults at all? No unusual lights with the ignition on.

Gearbox ECU is definitely on the list of things I suspect, and I'm considering to replace it even tough it's pretty expensive. (I've also hear that it's unusual for them to break)

What were the other symptoms you had when your gearbox ECU was faulty?

I'm rather unsure as whether to look more into the throttle potentiometer, the throttle response seems perfect and there's no fault codes on the engine. I would assume that if there was a throttle sensor the causes my problem I would have an engine fault code related to this?

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2010, 21:56:57 »

If i remember correctly the fuse is for the intercooler fan(it will proably be seized) so should have nothing to do with the gearbox troubles :y

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 December 2010, 22:26:16 »

No there's no warning, but I think my car it pre the "warning era". I have a 95/96 model without dash computer so I'm really not sure if there warning for gearbox faults at all? No unusual lights with the ignition on.

Gearbox ECU is definitely on the list of things I suspect, and I'm considering to replace it even tough it's pretty expensive. (I've also hear that it's unusual for them to break)

I'm rather unsure as whether to look more into the throttle potentiometer, the throttle response seems perfect and there's no fault codes on the engine. I would assume that if there was a throttle sensor the causes my problem I would have an engine fault code related to this?

When my ECU went i had the warning up from the moment i turned the key before starting it, i had only the manual option & no sports mode, mine is a 95 so i cant see why yours shouldnt have the warning (MID)facility, perhaps if youve still got your old g/box is to swap over the solenoids inside the box in case one has gone totally u/s, just a matter of dropping the large sump & removing filter, quite easy to get at & are held in by roll pins.

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 December 2010, 22:34:04 »

Just to add that if you do go the solenoid route dont try & remove them by pulling on the connector on the solenoid itself because they snap easily, the best way is to remove the roll pin & then get a thin screwdriver & position it between the body of the solenoid & the g/box casting then lever them out. :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 December 2010, 08:36:52 »

When my ECU went i had the warning up from the moment i turned the key before starting it, i had only the manual option & no sports mode, mine is a 95 so i cant see why yours shouldnt have the warning (MID)facility, perhaps if youve still got your old g/box is to swap over the solenoids inside the box in case one has gone totally u/s, just a matter of dropping the large sump & removing filter, quite easy to get at & are held in by roll pins.

Just double checked now and it seems like theres only the usual lights that come up when I turn on the ignition. I'm actually not sure how the "check gearbox light" looks like, but when I turn on the ignition, the glow light, oil light, battery light and check engine light lights up. The "check engine" I am referring to looks just about like this:

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 December 2010, 08:41:41 »

Just to add that if you do go the solenoid route dont try & remove them by pulling on the connector on the solenoid itself because they snap easily, the best way is to remove the roll pin & then get a thin screwdriver & position it between the body of the solenoid & the g/box casting then lever them out. :y

Hmmm... Thanks for your input mate!

I was just about to buy a new ECU but you had the "check gearbox light" when yours was gone so I should probably have so to if blown ECU was the problem..

I'm a bit hesitant to go for the solenoid route, but thanks for the tip..

Right now I'm actually considering to turn the car in with a dealer for diagnostic even tough it's gonna cost me a fortune..

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 December 2010, 10:32:46 »

Doing the solenoids is easier than it sounds, itll probably take an hour or so from start to finish, plus as your old g/box is out its easier to see how its done, & the "check gearbox" message came up on the MID display so not a warning light as such, if you want to try another ecu i suggest finding a 2nd hand one, but be warned, it has to come from a TD of the same year, there are identification numbers & letters on the ecu so it makes it easier to ID. :y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 December 2010, 13:29:29 »

Did you move the gearbox control unit from the donor car when you swapped the AR25 for the AR35.
If not, is that still an option?

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 December 2010, 17:16:49 »

Did you move the gearbox control unit from the donor car when you swapped the AR25 for the AR35.

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu as to what is fitted to the car originally, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 28 December 2010, 19:28:55 by froggy »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 December 2010, 17:28:57 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

WARNING Thread hi-jack! ::) ::) ::)

As most of you know, I'm still running an AR25 on my chipped TD,  (over 30k now) but have an AR35 on standby if required. From what you say Alf, I also will need a matching G/Box ECU, or can I use my existing? 8-) 8-) 8-)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 December 2010, 19:26:43 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

As most of you know, I'm still running an AR25 on my chipped TD,  (over 30k now) but have an AR35 on standby if required. From what you say Alf, I also will need a matching G/Box ECU, or can I use my existing? 8-) 8-) 8-)

No Shackeng, you use your original G/box ECU as its set up for your engine type & year so you are safe, i should have worded it better sorry. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 28 December 2010, 19:27:48 by froggy »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 December 2010, 19:45:17 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu as to what is fitted to the car originally, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

Cheers Alf I'm with you now.   :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 December 2010, 20:08:53 »

No Shackeng, you use your original G/box ECU as its set up for your engine type & year so you are safe, i should have worded it better sorry. ;D ;D

:y :y :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 December 2010, 09:11:33 »

Thanks guys for all your input.

This thread is now several pages and I've had a lot of useful input.. In the Norwegian forum there's not a single reply, what does that say?  :-X  ;)

I'm now ordering a matching gearbox ECU from Germany.. They had several used ones for sale, not to bad price either, about £60 shipped. Both of the codes on the ECU are identical and it came from a matching car..

I will probably take a couple of weeks before I receive it but hopefully this will solve my problem. If not, I have a spare gearbox ECU  :y  It's being sold for £300 at the breakers here in this country so maybe I can sell it again if it doesn't cure my problem..

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 December 2010, 19:28:03 »

Good luck with the new ECU Remo. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.   :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 December 2010, 22:25:47 »

Good luck with the new ECU Remo. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.   :y

I definitely will, thanks:)
Hopefully shipping won't take too long from Germany.

I'm forced to use the car everyday, so I'm trying to do the "manual" gear change as smooth as possible to prevent any damage to the gearbox. Feels like driving a "semi-automatic" ;)

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 December 2010, 15:45:22 »

Does anybody have any tip on what to check for? I feel a bit desperate right now, I spent so many hours upgrading the car and now this happens.

Silly question here you might think, but have you actually checked the Automatic Transmission fluid level? And if so how?  :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 30 December 2010, 15:55:46 »

Silly question here you might think, but have you actually checked the Automatic Transmission fluid level? And if so how?  :y :y

Oh, and by the way, the gearbox oil and filter has been changed and the level seems fine.

He says so. :y

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 December 2010, 16:00:42 »

Okay, just thought I'd ask. Takes a bit of sifting through the thread now its 4 pages long. Still interested to see if the level was checked in the prescribed manner  :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 December 2010, 17:06:57 »

Okay, just thought I'd ask. Takes a bit of sifting through the thread now its 4 pages long. Still interested to see if the level was checked in the prescribed manner  :y :y

I'd asked the same earlier - until I re-read all the posts, but I agree that it is the first thing to check. :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 December 2010, 22:54:03 »

Interesting development!

Today I used a towing wagon (not sure if this is what it's called in English, but it's what one uses to move furniture ect.)

After I connect the electrical connector to the towing wagon, the "ABS" warning light appeared. When I drove around with the wagon, the light both come on and went off.

Is this either:
- Because the wagon doesn't have ABS-brakes and the car recognizes that? (the wagon does have normal brakes)
or:
- Because there's actually a problem with the abs-sensors that may potentially also cause the gearbox problem?

It is very icey and slippery outside and the ABS-brakes all seemed to work as they should.

I seem to remember to have read some threads about abs-sensors causing gearbox problems?

Tried to to a diagnosis but there's ones any fault codes. My laptop battery died in the cold weather before I could read the "chassis" fault codes. Not sure which category the ABS-sensors goes under.
« Last Edit: 30 December 2010, 23:03:10 by Remo »

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06 January 2011, 22:34:04 »

Problem solved! Finally!

The gearbox ECU arrived from Germany yesterday and this evening I replaced the old with this new (used) ECU. Went out for a drive and the gearbox works as smoothly as ever!

Even sport and winter mode is back to normal.
I can't tell how happy I am to finally figure this out.

THANKS to all of you for your help and kind suggestions. This is a great forum. Also, hopefully other with similar problem can benefit from this thread.

Just fitted my newly arrived Irmscher grill (slightly customized by me). This was a VX-grill so I removed the chrome V and just kept the black mesh and then fitted a "2010"-look VX-griffin badge, even tough I have an Opel ;D

People will probably wonder what kind of car I'm driving, not many Vauxhall's in Norway

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06 January 2011, 23:54:21 »

Great news Remo. I'm glad it worked for you even though an expensive repair. Well done indeed.  :y :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 January 2011, 08:48:51 »

Great news Remo. I'm glad it worked for you even though an expensive repair. Well done indeed.  :y :y

Thanks a lot! There's nothing like fixing something that previously seemed impossible to figure out. Now I just need to get the car chipped, alltough it seems difficult with my excisting chip. (Been in contact with our chip guy here)

Actually, this gearbox repair costed me about £55 in total since I did the job myself and bought used ECU from Germany.

If I would have left the car with the dealer here in Norway, the job would have costed about £1500 ;D ;D (loosely quote from a guy at the dealer when I spoke to him about replacing ECU)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.