Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto gearbox limp mode, not bc the selector switch  (Read 6470 times)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
Re: Auto gearbox limp mode, not bc the selector switch
« Reply #30 on: 27 December 2010, 22:26:16 »

When you turn the ignition on does the "auto g/box" warning come up before you start the engine?, I had this with mine & it turned out to be the g/box ecu was at fault, apparently its unusual for them to go but worth a mention.

No there's no warning, but I think my car it pre the "warning era". I have a 95/96 model without dash computer so I'm really not sure if there warning for gearbox faults at all? No unusual lights with the ignition on.

Gearbox ECU is definitely on the list of things I suspect, and I'm considering to replace it even tough it's pretty expensive. (I've also hear that it's unusual for them to break)

What were the other symptoms you had when your gearbox ECU was faulty?

I'm rather unsure as whether to look more into the throttle potentiometer, the throttle response seems perfect and there's no fault codes on the engine. I would assume that if there was a throttle sensor the causes my problem I would have an engine fault code related to this?

When my ECU went i had the warning up from the moment i turned the key before starting it, i had only the manual option & no sports mode, mine is a 95 so i cant see why yours shouldnt have the warning (MID)facility, perhaps if youve still got your old g/box is to swap over the solenoids inside the box in case one has gone totally u/s, just a matter of dropping the large sump & removing filter, quite easy to get at & are held in by roll pins.

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 27 December 2010, 22:34:04 »

Just to add that if you do go the solenoid route dont try & remove them by pulling on the connector on the solenoid itself because they snap easily, the best way is to remove the roll pin & then get a thin screwdriver & position it between the body of the solenoid & the g/box casting then lever them out. :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 28 December 2010, 08:36:52 »

When you turn the ignition on does the "auto g/box" warning come up before you start the engine?, I had this with mine & it turned out to be the g/box ecu was at fault, apparently its unusual for them to go but worth a mention.

No there's no warning, but I think my car it pre the "warning era". I have a 95/96 model without dash computer so I'm really not sure if there warning for gearbox faults at all? No unusual lights with the ignition on.

Gearbox ECU is definitely on the list of things I suspect, and I'm considering to replace it even tough it's pretty expensive. (I've also hear that it's unusual for them to break)

What were the other symptoms you had when your gearbox ECU was faulty?

I'm rather unsure as whether to look more into the throttle potentiometer, the throttle response seems perfect and there's no fault codes on the engine. I would assume that if there was a throttle sensor the causes my problem I would have an engine fault code related to this?

When my ECU went i had the warning up from the moment i turned the key before starting it, i had only the manual option & no sports mode, mine is a 95 so i cant see why yours shouldnt have the warning (MID)facility, perhaps if youve still got your old g/box is to swap over the solenoids inside the box in case one has gone totally u/s, just a matter of dropping the large sump & removing filter, quite easy to get at & are held in by roll pins.

Just double checked now and it seems like theres only the usual lights that come up when I turn on the ignition. I'm actually not sure how the "check gearbox light" looks like, but when I turn on the ignition, the glow light, oil light, battery light and check engine light lights up. The "check engine" I am referring to looks just about like this:

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 28 December 2010, 08:41:41 »

Just to add that if you do go the solenoid route dont try & remove them by pulling on the connector on the solenoid itself because they snap easily, the best way is to remove the roll pin & then get a thin screwdriver & position it between the body of the solenoid & the g/box casting then lever them out. :y

Hmmm... Thanks for your input mate!

I was just about to buy a new ECU but you had the "check gearbox light" when yours was gone so I should probably have so to if blown ECU was the problem..

I'm a bit hesitant to go for the solenoid route, but thanks for the tip..

Right now I'm actually considering to turn the car in with a dealer for diagnostic even tough it's gonna cost me a fortune..

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 28 December 2010, 10:32:46 »

Doing the solenoids is easier than it sounds, itll probably take an hour or so from start to finish, plus as your old g/box is out its easier to see how its done, & the "check gearbox" message came up on the MID display so not a warning light as such, if you want to try another ecu i suggest finding a 2nd hand one, but be warned, it has to come from a TD of the same year, there are identification numbers & letters on the ecu so it makes it easier to ID. :y

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 December 2010, 13:29:29 »

Did you move the gearbox control unit from the donor car when you swapped the AR25 for the AR35.
If not, is that still an option?

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 December 2010, 17:16:49 »

Did you move the gearbox control unit from the donor car when you swapped the AR25 for the AR35.

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu as to what is fitted to the car originally, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 28 December 2010, 19:28:55 by froggy »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 December 2010, 17:28:57 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

WARNING Thread hi-jack! ::) ::) ::)

As most of you know, I'm still running an AR25 on my chipped TD,  (over 30k now) but have an AR35 on standby if required. From what you say Alf, I also will need a matching G/Box ECU, or can I use my existing? 8-) 8-) 8-)

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28 December 2010, 19:26:43 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

As most of you know, I'm still running an AR25 on my chipped TD,  (over 30k now) but have an AR35 on standby if required. From what you say Alf, I also will need a matching G/Box ECU, or can I use my existing? 8-) 8-) 8-)

No Shackeng, you use your original G/box ECU as its set up for your engine type & year so you are safe, i should have worded it better sorry. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 28 December 2010, 19:27:48 by froggy »

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28 December 2010, 19:45:17 »

I wouldnt think that was an option to be honest Kneepad as the g/box came from a petrol v6, he will have to find an identical g/box ecu as to what is fitted to the car originally, believe me i had this trouble when i first joined OOF. ::) ::)

Cheers Alf I'm with you now.   :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 December 2010, 20:08:53 »

No Shackeng, you use your original G/box ECU as its set up for your engine type & year so you are safe, i should have worded it better sorry. ;D ;D

:y :y :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29 December 2010, 09:11:33 »

Thanks guys for all your input.

This thread is now several pages and I've had a lot of useful input.. In the Norwegian forum there's not a single reply, what does that say?  :-X  ;)

I'm now ordering a matching gearbox ECU from Germany.. They had several used ones for sale, not to bad price either, about £60 shipped. Both of the codes on the ECU are identical and it came from a matching car..

I will probably take a couple of weeks before I receive it but hopefully this will solve my problem. If not, I have a spare gearbox ECU  :y  It's being sold for £300 at the breakers here in this country so maybe I can sell it again if it doesn't cure my problem..

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29 December 2010, 19:28:03 »

Good luck with the new ECU Remo. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.   :y

Remo

• Oslo, Norway
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29 December 2010, 22:25:47 »

Good luck with the new ECU Remo. Don't forget to let us know how you get on.   :y

I definitely will, thanks:)
Hopefully shipping won't take too long from Germany.

I'm forced to use the car everyday, so I'm trying to do the "manual" gear change as smooth as possible to prevent any damage to the gearbox. Feels like driving a "semi-automatic" ;)

PxMetro

• Stamford
  • Maryland Cookies are brilliant for dunking
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 30 December 2010, 15:45:22 »

Does anybody have any tip on what to check for? I feel a bit desperate right now, I spent so many hours upgrading the car and now this happens.

Thank you for reading and I'm very thankful for every tip!

Silly question here you might think, but have you actually checked the Automatic Transmission fluid level? And if so how?  :y :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.