Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake upgrades...  (Read 11088 times)

05omegav6

Brake upgrades...
« on: 09 December 2013, 02:57:04 »

I might have found a cost effective way to upgrade the brakes... compared to my original thoughts.

Each time the front brakes are upgraded, the rears are effectively upgraded for free
Stage 1:
Monaro VXR front calipers with 330x28 discs.
Omega front calipers to the rear.

Stage 2:
Monaro AP calipers with 362x32 discs.
Monaro VXR front calipers with 330x28 discs to the rear.

This halves the cost, as both the front and rear mounting bells for the 330x28 discs can be produced simultaneously, and it only requires two pairs of discs rather than four pairs.

The only other adjustment needed is modification to the rear brake pipes due to the switch from fixed calipers to sliding.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 02:58:56 by ex taxi al »

MR MISTER

Re: Brake upgrades...
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2013, 11:10:58 »

Do you have a secret desire to put yourself through the windscreen/crush your ribs witha seatbelt?

chrisgixer

« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2013, 11:38:18 »

Do you have a secret desire to put yourself through the windscreen/crush your ribs witha seatbelt?
This is partly in connection with the mv8 project. Obviously upgrading the brakes is a no brainer. Esta. (Oh sigh...)
And partly in relation to the fact that the oe brakes are shit.

MR MISTER

« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2013, 11:47:13 »

This is partly in connection with the mv8 project. Obviously upgrading the brakes is a no brainer. Esta. (Oh sigh...)
I see. It should have been added to the mv8 thread then. Got any pictures for me to look at? Doesn't have to be about cars, anything I can colour in will do. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2013, 11:54:15 »

I see. It should have been added to the mv8 thread then. Got any pictures for me to look at? Doesn't have to be about cars, anything I can colour in will do. ;D
No its Als thread and for his car, ya nosey parker. He's kindly posted for others, including me, to look at.

Now go play with your crayons, ya nump! ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2013, 12:14:03 »

I might have found a cost effective way to upgrade the brakes... compared to my original thoughts.

Each time the front brakes are upgraded, the rears are effectively upgraded for free
Stage 1:
Monaro VXR front calipers with 330x28 discs.
Omega front calipers to the rear.

Stage 2:
Monaro AP calipers with 362x32 discs.
Monaro VXR front calipers with 330x28 discs to the rear.

This halves the cost, as both the front and rear mounting bells for the 330x28 discs can be produced simultaneously, and it only requires two pairs of discs rather than four pairs.

The only other adjustment needed is modification to the rear brake pipes due to the switch from fixed calipers to sliding.

Have you been able to confirm the front callipers fit on the rear Al? We know the bolt pattern is the same, but is the rear disk offset the same as the front?

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2013, 12:19:23 »

Currently a speculative hunch...

Need to get the 330 discs sorted first ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2013, 12:23:11 »

As requested :y over in Gen Dis...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2013, 17:02:17 »

Bit unfair, they are pretty good for "normal" road use, even if pressing on. Good for about 10-12 80mph-0mph stops in quick succession, but as speeds go above that, they fade badly after 3-4 big stops in quick succession.

So shit, no. But unsuitable for sustained battering, or track.

(for the benefit of other OOFers reading this thread, rather than Mr Gixer, who we know is very hard on brakes)
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2013, 17:06:41 »

Bit unfair, they are pretty good for "normal" road use, even if pressing on. Good for about 10-12 80mph-0mph stops in quick succession, but as speeds go above that, they fade badly after 3-4 big stops in quick succession.

So shit, no. But unsuitable for sustained battering, or track.

(for the benefit of other OOFers reading this thread, rather than Mr Gixer, who we know is very hard on brakes)

Says the man who posted the pictures of the cremated pads  :-X :-X ;D
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2013, 17:07:13 »

Prepare to hear something stunning, something which may not have be considered here ever before, in the history of chav-me Omega owners  :o

Read the road and brake/ease off throttle earlier  ::)

There is an old saying, a bad workman always blames his tools  ::)  ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2013, 17:13:56 »

Prepare to hear something stunning, something which may not have be considered here ever before, in the history of chav-me Omega owners  :o

Read the road and brake/ease off throttle earlier  ::)

There is an old saying, a bad workman always blames his tools  ::)  ;D ;D
Some people enjoy driving
Some people like to get places in a reasonable timeframe  <<< my category
Some people get frustrated with other drivers who really should either do the speed limit, or be banned for causing disruption  <<< yeah, I fit in this one

Not everybody is Miss Daisy
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 09 December 2013, 17:41:15 »

Not blaming anything for anything, simply looking for summat a bit more suited to the driving that I do, ie lots of dual carriageway roundabouts and proper fun twisties ::)

And not wanting to sit on the fence, but I fit squarely into all three of TBs categories :-X

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 09 December 2013, 18:13:22 »

Compare disc size with almost any other car, and the discs are disproportionately small. I guess budget comes into it, and ten ton plus stops without fade is probably in industry standard.

But add in how easy they warp(ebc in this case) , rust on the inner edge(ebc don't), fade with anything less than 75% pad material, lack bite, feel and servo asdistance I'm sorry, but they're shit and that's that.

Fit for a trip to the shops and back without spilling anything. But that's as complimentary as I can be frankly.

ANY other car has better bite (more servo assistance) than the omega. Not a mark on the power of the brakes capability fair enough but, Add in a bit of pad ware, some rusty discs after a lay up, a hire car while on holiday, and the poxy things can catch you out first time you stop when back in an omega.

These, ladies and gents, over the life or a set of discs and pads are.... SHIT BRAKES.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 December 2013, 20:14:56 »

Compare disc size with almost any other car, and the discs are disproportionately small. I guess budget comes into it, and ten ton plus stops without fade is probably in industry standard.

But add in how easy they warp(ebc in this case) , rust on the inner edge(ebc don't), fade with anything less than 75% pad material, lack bite, feel and servo asdistance I'm sorry, but they're shit and that's that.

Fit for a trip to the shops and back without spilling anything. But that's as complimentary as I can be frankly.

ANY other car has better bite (more servo assistance) than the omega. Not a mark on the power of the brakes capability fair enough but, Add in a bit of pad ware, some rusty discs after a lay up, a hire car while on holiday, and the poxy things can catch you out first time you stop when back in an omega.

These, ladies and gents, over the life or a set of discs and pads are.... SHIT BRAKES.

My Signums front discs are 314mm istr,they look huge through the wheels compared to my old Mig.
« Last Edit: 09 December 2013, 20:17:40 by henryd »
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.