Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake upgrades...  (Read 11392 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Brake upgrades...
« Reply #15 on: 09 December 2013, 20:23:28 »

Prepare to hear something stunning, something which may not have be considered here ever before, in the history of chav-me Omega owners  :o

Read the road and brake/ease off throttle earlier  ::)

There is an old saying, a bad workman always blames his tools  ::)  ;D ;D
Some people enjoy driving
Some people like to get places in a reasonable timeframe  <<< my category
Some people get frustrated with other drivers who really should either do the speed limit, or be banned for causing disruption  <<< yeah, I fit in this one

Not everybody is Miss Daisy

Does enjoyment = speed?  :-\

Missing the point though, just because you are hard on brakes, does not equal a fast drive. On the A4 I've seen people floor it away, then stamp on brakes. I slow just easing off, into second still rolling approaching lights. They change, i go, I'm ahead leaving lights yet I never pressed the brake.  ;)

To say standard brakes are shit, really shows you must be doing very illegal speeds or braking far, far, too late!

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 09 December 2013, 20:33:42 »

Try driving along a dual carriageway at 70mph, at the first roundabout ahead sign, lift off. How ever hard you try, an Omega will never negotiate a tight roundabout at 40mph without cutting it, so you brake, but that said your brake pads last 80k, and the discs 160k, so you plainly don't use them ::)

Is it really that unreasonable to ask the brakes to pull the car up from 70ish for more than ten roundabouts without fading :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 December 2013, 21:07:01 »

Compare disc size with almost any other car, and the discs are disproportionately small. I guess budget comes into it, and ten ton plus stops without fade is probably in industry standard.

But add in how easy they warp(ebc in this case) , rust on the inner edge(ebc don't), fade with anything less than 75% pad material, lack bite, feel and servo asdistance I'm sorry, but they're shit and that's that.

Fit for a trip to the shops and back without spilling anything. But that's as complimentary as I can be frankly.

ANY other car has better bite (more servo assistance) than the omega. Not a mark on the power of the brakes capability fair enough but, Add in a bit of pad ware, some rusty discs after a lay up, a hire car while on holiday, and the poxy things can catch you out first time you stop when back in an omega.

These, ladies and gents, over the life or a set of discs and pads are.... SHIT BRAKES.
Lets lay our cards down then.

I'd class myself as reasonably hard on brakes. If you stop before the white line, you've clearly braked too early.

To quote Mr Darth Loo-knee, I "drive like a cock".

The only discs I've warped have been pattern ones. You say your patterns are warping - I'm not surprised, most do if properly used.

I tend to use TC pads on the Bullet, and OE on TBE. I'd say neither were more tolerant to abuse, in fact both seem to be about the same (excluding the fact that TC lack bite/feel when cold). Beyond half worn, TC pads are spent. Don't be tight, bin 'em (thats a msg to all, not to Gixer). Not sure about OE, as Mrs TB tends to use that car.

The pedal has more travel than most modern cars. Thats personal preference if you prefer/hate that. As all know, I've had the misfortune to own a Focus, fart in those cars, and you go through the windscreen. So I prefer more pedal control, even if it is often used as a switch ;D

As said in previous post, Mr Gixer, you are a special case. We cannot make recommendations/sweeping statements on what we need is the norm for all OOFers :). And the MV8 will need uprated everything, obviously.

So, yes there are clearly potential improvements to be made, but the cost/benefit/insurance hassles factored in for many OOFers isn't viable. For most, the brakes aren't "shit" ;)
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 December 2013, 21:07:36 »

Prepare to hear something stunning, something which may not have be considered here ever before, in the history of chav-me Omega owners  :o

Some people get frustrated with other drivers who really should either do the speed limit, or be banned for causing disruption  <<< yeah, I fit in this one

Missing the point though, just because you are hard on brakes, does not equal a fast drive. On the A4 I've seen people floor it away, then stamp on brakes. I slow just easing off, into second still rolling approaching lights. They change, i go, I'm ahead leaving lights yet I never pressed the brake.  ;)

To say standard brakes are shit, really shows you must be doing very illegal speeds or braking far, far, too late!
Ah, the cause of 3)

;D
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 December 2013, 21:13:44 »

So 10 roundabouts, accelerating to 70 each time then back to what, 20mph? In what Milton Keynes? Really? 10 round abouts??

Sorry but I still maintain that standard brakes are perfectly fine. No I don't always drive like miss Daisey. I drive normally!

At the end of the day, the Omega was designed as a comfy motorway cruiser. The standard suspension shows thag, even a 3.2 Omega is a barge. They ain't that fast...

I think there are a few minorities here, who want VXR8 performance without the price tag.

MR MISTER

« Reply #20 on: 09 December 2013, 21:18:43 »

So 10 roundabouts, accelerating to 70 each time then back to what, 20mph? In what Milton Keynes? Really? 10 round abouts??

Sorry but I still maintain that standard brakes are perfectly fine. No I don't always drive like miss Daisey. I drive normally!

At the end of the day, the Omega was designed as a comfy motorway cruiser. The standard suspension shows thag, even a 3.2 Omega is a barge. They ain't that fast...

I think there are a few minorities here, who want VXR8 performance without the price tag.
Tunnie. The voice of reason. A 3.2 omega may seem fast when pitted against a 1.6 hatchback, most people's choice for fuel economy and cheap(er) tax. Put it up against a modern two litre upwards and it will come a very poor second.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 December 2013, 21:21:26 »

Tunnie. The voice of reason. A 3.2 omega may seem fast when pitted against a 1.6 hatchback, most people's choice for fuel economy and cheap(er) tax. Put it up against a modern two litre upwards and it will come a very poor second.

It might in the traffic light GP .. but I know which one I'd rather sit in for 10 hours when I drive to Kinloss ...  As a long distance load lugger and attempting not to lose my licence every 3 miles ...  :)  the 3.2 Omega is almost perfect in standard form .. with LPG it gets even better .. :)

MR MISTER

« Reply #22 on: 09 December 2013, 21:22:50 »

It might in the traffic light GP .. but I know which one I'd rather sit in for 10 hours when I drive to Kinloss ...  As a long distance load lugger and attempting not to lose my licence every 3 miles ...  :)  the 3.2 Omega is almost perfect in standard form .. with LPG it gets even better .. :)
I think that is what Tunnie is saying. Cruiser not racer.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 December 2013, 21:23:41 »

I can guarantee you will have to come to a complete standstill at every single one due to the oppsing retards who live there waiting for oppsing rush hour to finish before pulling out.

70mph? Oh, yes, 70mph, of course, not any faster, obviously  :-X

I drive normally
Based on my experiences sat in your passenger seat, you drive far more slowly cautiously than anyone I know. Outside of Milton Keynes, anyway.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 December 2013, 21:30:47 »

I think that is what Tunnie is saying. Cruiser not racer.

Indeed. Driving to Austria was not a problem. Comfy, easy to do. Relaxing. Which is exactly what this car was designed to do.

I hired a Suzuki Alto in Crete, now that I thought was shit. Underpowered compared to my 2.2, harsh ride. Loud & gutless. But. It was aimed as a city car, nipping about town. For that it ain't too bad, but there is no way in hell I'd drive that to Austria!

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 09 December 2013, 21:32:02 »

Says he who doesn't drive one, besides, I don't live anywhere near Milton Keynes fank thuck. Twenty roundabouts between my house and Gatwick, all at the National Limit.

That's an average of one every 1.2 miles, not one can be negotiated 'in lane' comfortably at more than 20, hence using the brakes ::)

MR MISTER

« Reply #26 on: 09 December 2013, 21:32:45 »

I can guarantee you will have to come to a complete standstill at every single one due to the oppsing retards who live there waiting for oppsing rush hour to finish before pulling out.

70mph? Oh, yes, 70mph, of course, not any faster, obviously 
:-X

I drive normally
Based on my experiences sat in your passenger seat, you drive far more slowly cautiously than anyone I know. Outside of Milton Keynes, anyway.
That's why yours is always broke, it's not up to it nor built for it. Get a modern, high powered car, then you can drive like you stole it.

chrisgixer

« Reply #27 on: 09 December 2013, 21:34:37 »

Compare disc size with almost any other car, and the discs are disproportionately small. I guess budget comes into it, and ten ton plus stops without fade is probably in industry standard.

But add in how easy they warp(ebc in this case) , rust on the inner edge(ebc don't), fade with anything less than 75% pad material, lack bite, feel and servo asdistance I'm sorry, but they're shit and that's that.

Fit for a trip to the shops and back without spilling anything. But that's as complimentary as I can be frankly.

ANY other car has better bite (more servo assistance) than the omega. Not a mark on the power of the brakes capability fair enough but, Add in a bit of pad ware, some rusty discs after a lay up, a hire car while on holiday, and the poxy things can catch you out first time you stop when back in an omega.

These, ladies and gents, over the life or a set of discs and pads are.... SHIT BRAKES.

My Signums front discs are 314mm istr,they look huge through the wheels compared to my old Mig.

Guessing the brakes, chassis, suspension are all family hand me downs from Senator / Carlton.

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 09 December 2013, 21:38:02 »

Your driving pleasure and mine are very different things. Plus the mv8 demands better brakes. Hell the 3.2 demands better brakes.

05omegav6

« Reply #29 on: 09 December 2013, 21:38:49 »

Indeed, hence the plainly daft 15" spare ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.