Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Brake upgrades...  (Read 11091 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Brake upgrades...
« Reply #105 on: 11 December 2013, 00:59:11 »

The worst for that was my Triumph Trident that had a rear drum brake as it started to heat up so it would gradually start to work. Back wheel braking was always a must in icy and snowy weather or rain after a long dry period and the roads are very greasy and slippery as you can fishtail all day long, but once you've lost the front......  :o :o :o :o

On the Kawasaki the original pad were useless in the wet, dangerously so, as you had nothing for a wheel revolution or two until the pads had cleared the water off the disc, then they would start to bite, but the danger was always to make sure you didn't over brake as the natural tendency was to pull on the lever more. This I cured by using dunlop sintered pads, which were great but at the cost of speeding up the disc wear. I replaced these with EBC disc, braided brake lines and their kevlar pads, but in the wet the hesitation was back. Bike has been off the road for sometime now due to the effects of the recession, but going back to sintered pads will be a must when I put it back on the road, plus I need to get a master cylinder service kit where the front brake lever now pulls all the way back to the handle bars!  :o :o :o :o

Back brakes on bike have very little effect on braking, where the majority of work is done by the front. GP riders used to use the back brake as a form of manual traction control before that was fitted.

Going back to Omega brakes, then bigger discs will help with heat dissipation, but will it be enough, I suspect not. Four pot and six pot as you say will increase the pad area, but will also increase the heat generated. A possible solution would be harder pads that work to a higher temperature, but your then making another Omega brake problem worse with relatively long pedal travel and lack of initial bite that Omegas suffer from as the pad will need more heat to reach full efficiency, although braided hoses would help in firming up the pedal. I don't know how good Omega calipers are with regard to expanding on braking as they always look a little weak to me.

The other issue is cost as I would imagine 4 pot aren't cheap and 6 pot are only going to be more expensive.

With any ducting could you get away with a front spoiler hole and a hose to the plastic inner wheel arch as there has not only got the be clearance for the suspension but also for the steering. Lozzz's picture of the Omega with the engine remove looks as if that would be a possibility.

Lot of questions with few answers I'm afraid.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

chrisgixer

« Reply #106 on: 11 December 2013, 07:58:55 »

Well, in speaking to Serek, his oversize discs and 6pot callipers in 18" wheels where cold enough to touch by hand after a work out.

Al, I and others have 18" already, so can take advantage of that space.

If you look at Al's post he's provided a 2 stage upgrade, first for 17" second for 18" and potentially answered the problem of finding a bigger calliper for the rear for free, by fitting the omega front calliper on the back.

So initially at this stage, we're looking at front callipers and discs only. Still a fair cost, but answers all the short comings. ;)
« Last Edit: 11 December 2013, 08:01:00 by chrisgixer »

chrisgixer

« Reply #107 on: 11 December 2013, 08:04:28 »

Just to add, Sereks callipers where alloy, rather than cast iron(are they?) of the omega ones. They're certainly a big heavy metal lump that holds heat more than alloy will.

05omegav6

« Reply #108 on: 11 December 2013, 08:55:58 »

The Monaro VXR calipers are aluminium on steel frames, still pretty weighty. The AP ones are all alumium :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 11 December 2013, 19:37:52 »

Ignoring tb's and gixers tiff  ;D ......... Do many think that the diameter of the discs is too small? Just thinking al cos you're getting brake fade under normal braking... This isn't normal. Is it likely that hdisc size isn't enough to dissipate heat?
Yes, they are too close to the limit. Al does alot of miles and drives an estate at full pressures to take the unknown loads he'll likely carry.

They are certainly borderline for a car this size and weight, so it only takes one aspect of servicing to be over looked and its quite easy to run into problems.

I wouldn't say that when those problems arise its instant disaster, they do recover. But their capacity for this size weight and power of car is a bit close the line.

Look around the car parks, check the disc sizes v vehicle size and power.
I was contemplating this earlier, and as you say most modern luxury saloons have bigger discs now. Disc sizes have certainly increased, but then cars have got heavier, and the number of retards on the roads now has increased, meaning brakes get more of a workout. The Omega is 20yrs old next year.

It was actually my pet hate on an Omega - the bloody gearbox - that got me thinking about the age of Omegas. Its a crying shame they never put in a decent autobox with more ratios, as by the time the Facelift was around, the 4 speed ARx5 was looking a bit poor. But, then, its "good enough" for tootling around.
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #110 on: 11 December 2013, 20:03:48 »

The next gen omega was going to be the v8 obviously. Sorry to keep on about it, but that had the 4l60e as we know. But even that only got 330 discs and the 4 pot calipers Al posted in post 1. They still drilled holes in the wheel baring housing of the disk to keep/vent the heat away from the bearing.
 The baring itself was upgrade in some way. Not sure how.

Development was all that was needed. Bit frustrating given the parts available through gm.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 11 December 2013, 20:06:49 »

Maybe GM realised that the gearbox still would have been so far behind the competition, and I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to can Omegas had already been made at that point...
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #112 on: 11 December 2013, 21:07:08 »

Maybe GM realised that the gearbox still would have been so far behind the competition, and I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to can Omegas had already been made at that point...
Release date was mid y2k, so started project mid 99? Too close the face lift version to decide at that point surely?

Anyway, these brakes? ... ;D

I'm intrigued to see if the front calliper fits the rear. As Al suggests. :) save a bloody fortune if it does.

05omegav6

« Reply #113 on: 11 December 2013, 21:08:55 »

Let me get christmas out of the way ::)

MR MISTER

« Reply #114 on: 11 December 2013, 21:11:01 »

Release date was mid y2k, so started project mid 99? Too close the face lift version to decide at that point surely?

I'm intrigued to see if the front calliper fits the rear. As Al suggests. :) save a bloody fortune if it does.
;D That doesn't make you sound knowledgeable or intelligent, just 2000 would have done.

05omegav6

« Reply #115 on: 11 December 2013, 21:16:00 »

The LS lump in standard tune only needs two gears... first second and overdrive ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 11 December 2013, 21:18:17 »

The LS lump in standard tune only needs two gears... first second and overdrive ::)
Was Omega V8 a Northstar? It says on TIS, if someone has it loaded.

The reason it sticks in my mind is I would have thought Northstar would have been too big...
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #117 on: 11 December 2013, 21:20:40 »

;D That doesn't make you sound knowledgeable or intelligent, just 2000 would have done.

NUUUURSE, HES OUT OF GEN CHAT AGAIN. ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #118 on: 11 December 2013, 21:22:06 »

The reason it sticks in my mind is I would have thought Northstar would have been too big...
It was an ls1, me thinks MrTB is a little tired.

No way on gods green earth will a North Star fit. MrTB knows this. ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 11 December 2013, 21:26:59 »

It was an ls1, me thinks MrTB is a little tired.

No way on gods green earth will a North Star fit. MrTB knows this. ::)
I know its too big. But look at TIS (I can't, I've melted one machine with TIS, and corrupted the other ;D). I'm 99% certain it says its a Northstar. And I'm 100% sure with the Northstar's heads, it'd never fit.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.