Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evil gremlins at work  (Read 949 times)

180pete

• View Profile
Evil gremlins at work
« on: 20 December 2009, 13:46:24 »

Hears one to get the old grey matter working. Last night went to friends, did about 15 miles no probs, stop for about an hour, get in fire it up go for meal do about another 10 miles. Come out 3 hrs later get in fire it up, starts perfectly, start to drive off and I can hear a very high pitched whining sound but quite faint, carry on but still listing to the whine. It is engine speed related, everything is still working fine, lights, heater, but when I put the wipers on, the whine has a rhythm to it that matches the wipers, put the wipers on fast and the rhythm of the whine goes faster, turn them off and the whine is continuous. Put the rear heated screen on and the headlights did dull a bit, so turned it off, ah, me thinks it must be the alternator, (the drive home was about 15 miles) when we got onto the drive, sat and let it tick over for about 2 mins, (with the headlights still on) seemed fine, it revved up ok, put rear screen on again and down go the lights, so I turned it all off and went inside for about 3 mins., come out, try sidelights, dim, try headlights, very dim, turn on ignition, dash lights very dim, try to start it, nothing, sod it I'm off to bed. Get up this morning to put battery on charge, but first put the ignition on and the lights are still very dim and the rev counter & speedo needles are jittering up an down between 0 & 5 mph with the dash lights pulsating between dim & very dim (by the dash lights I mean all the orange & red etc, warning lights), the battery has a 'state of charge indicator' and that says its fine, but anyway disconnect battery and put on charger, and the charger says its not flat, but I will leave it on for a while then refit and try, see what happens.  Any ideas would be great, cheers

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
Re: Evil gremlins at work
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2009, 13:57:33 »

Was the whine a background radio noise if not do you know were the noise was coming from?
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

180pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2009, 14:10:54 »

Hi Tony, the radio was off and the sound seems to be up front, drivers side
which is where the alternator is located isn't it?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2009, 14:24:55 »

Hears one to get the old grey matter working. Last night went to friends, did about 15 miles no probs, stop for about an hour, get in fire it up go for meal do about another 10 miles. Come out 3 hrs later get in fire it up, starts perfectly, start to drive off and I can hear a very high pitched whining sound but quite faint, carry on but still listing to the whine. It is engine speed related, everything is still working fine, lights, heater, but when I put the wipers on, the whine has a rhythm to it that matches the wipers, put the wipers on fast and the rhythm of the whine goes faster, turn them off and the whine is continuous. Put the rear heated screen on and the headlights did dull a bit, so turned it off, ah, me thinks it must be the alternator, (the drive home was about 15 miles) when we got onto the drive, sat and let it tick over for about 2 mins, (with the headlights still on) seemed fine, it revved up ok, put rear screen on again and down go the lights, so I turned it all off and went inside for about 3 mins., come out, try sidelights, dim, try headlights, very dim, turn on ignition, dash lights very dim, try to start it, nothing, sod it I'm off to bed. Get up this morning to put battery on charge, but first put the ignition on and the lights are still very dim and the rev counter & speedo needles are jittering up an down between 0 & 5 mph with the dash lights pulsating between dim & very dim (by the dash lights I mean all the orange & red etc, warning lights), the battery has a 'state of charge indicator' and that says its fine, but anyway disconnect battery and put on charger, and the charger says its not flat, but I will leave it on for a while then refit and try, see what happens.  Any ideas would be great, cheers
Symptomatic of failing voltage regulator in alternator.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1153772945
« Last Edit: 20 December 2009, 14:26:26 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2009, 14:32:53 »

Tend to agree with the alternator theory.

Before condemning it, try this:
Stick a jump-lead from the battery negative terminal across to a secure point on the engine, such as a manifold stud.

This'll eliminate any poor earthing issues, see what happens thence.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2009, 22:00:20 »

iv,e exactly the same prob IanD discovered a bearing to be naffed on alternater pulley -  there is play in it, hence the whine. :y

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2009, 01:08:30 »

Another thought. Could it be auxillery belt related??

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2009, 03:05:55 »

When this happened to me I just changed the alternator and the aux belt too while I was at it cos its easier to get both jobs out of the way at the same time.
Noises went and lights were a lot brighter afterwards.
Can't understand why you did not put on a trickle charge overnight though? Too tired or just pssd off?
Pity its more expense at this time of year when its the last thing we need!
Fux, my thermostat has just decided to pack in too so here we go again!!!!!!!
Need the heat....................
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

180pete

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2009, 19:39:50 »

Hi, many thanks for all the input, have spoken to a (recommended) mechanic who thinks the whine could
be the alternator bearing, and the reasons for the possible flat battery and needles dancing around
could be a direct short.  The car is being transported to his workshop tomorrow so he can have a look.
Another guy reckons if the alternator has been over charging it could have cooked the battery or at least
one of the cells, know more tomorrow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.