Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini facelift help??  (Read 3189 times)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Mini facelift help??
« on: 13 September 2006, 17:39:03 »

Hi guys, I've found an Omega in a local breakers which I think has the same 2ltr engine as mine. My car is registered on 18/11/99, has the window switches on the door and the grill is part of the bonnet. The motor I'm looking at is an s or t reg (no plates!) has the switches on the centre consul, grill seperate from bonnet. I crawled underneath and from what I can see, the sump is the small metal pan on the large alloy housing. Would this pre facelift car be fitted with the later engine with balance shafts? Am I right in thinking that the earlier engines without balance shafts had a large metal sump? Any pics of the earlier sump would be appreciated so that I can distinguish between the two.
If this is the right engine it would save me a lot of hassle rebuilding mine and I could just throw it in a corner just in case!! I'm hoping to go back to the breakers tomorrow so any answers tonight would be really appreciated  ;)

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Mini facelift help??
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2006, 17:58:48 »

I suggest you see if the breaker has the v5 if they still have it compare your engine number with that of the scrapped car may help to identify if its the same.

Are the sumps the same maybe a clue as to whether they are the same or not.

HTH
« Last Edit: 13 September 2006, 17:59:04 by nixoro »

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2006, 22:32:20 »

Hi Nixoro, thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that the sump is the same as my one, The Omega is sitting so low it's difficult to see under it properly! It does appear to be the small metal sump pan fixed to the large alloy spacer type plate before the engine block. It's a shame that Mr Haynes doesn't have a decent sump pic in the book  :(

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2006, 00:09:25 »

Does the location of the sump drain plug not vary with the different engine types?  [smiley=huh.gif]

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2006, 08:42:34 »

iirc the balance shafts were added for the '98 model year, if its around that date you need the engine number then we should be able to check up.
Can you hear it running before you buy?

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2006, 23:14:39 »

Thanks for the replies so far guys, here's the latest update! I went to see Mr Vauxhall today who said they should be able to identify the engine from the cars registration number or vin plate. No reg plate on the car as the breaker removed them but I got the VIN. Sadly Mr V still can't tell me sod all  >:( One thing I did learn, it's not as easy as identifying the different sump style. There's the earlier all metal one with no balance shafts, an alloy & metal affair with balance shafts and.......an identical alloy & metal one without balance shafts too!!  I can't even see the engine number with the engine in situ as it's well buried in the bulkhead. So it looks like I'll give this one a miss as I want to be certain I'm getting the right engine, looks like it's back to plan b of rebuilding my original.

Watch this space  ::)

Cheers Jim  

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2006, 23:17:25 »

If the car is mini facelift then the engine number should be on the drivers door pillar as well, should it not?  [smiley=undecided.gif]

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2006, 09:29:48 »

Just a thought, and probably too late (only just seen this thread) have you checked in the boot or under the seats for the plate(s).  Sometimes, they get taken off and slung either in car somewhere.

Your question has reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask about mini facelifts............

Good luck with whatever course of action you take!
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2006, 09:38:11 »

I don't think it is a mini face lift as I mentioned earlier, window switches on centre consul etc, I know mine is and it's definately different  :(  I've just had a look at the sticker on my door pillar and theres no mention of the engine number either.

Cheers Jim

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2006, 09:52:11 »

I may be wrong, but I thought that the mini facelife occured prior to the major face lift where the body and interior was re styled.  As I understand it, the mini facelifts retained the window switches on the centre consol so this is not a good way of identifying them.  I seem to recall that mini facelifts have solid headrests whereas early cars have the "see through" type.

I have been meaning to ask what was involved with the mini facelift as I want to find out if my car is one or not.

Hope that helps.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2006, 10:23:19 »

Does the breaker not retain the v5 couldn't you get the engine number from this to compare to your current one.

I know its already been suggested but worth asking, if not done so already.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2006, 11:17:01 »

(scrathes chin).... the plot thickens, so could my car be a full facelift and not the mini oner that I thought it was then  :-? I've had a look and it does have the solid headrests, airbags on the side of the front seats, body coloured side mouldings and 16" wheels.

Good idea about the V5 nixoro, I'll phone the breakers and see if they still have it.

I'll sus this one yet, Hillman Imps are definately a lot easier to identify  ;D

cheers jim

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2006, 12:38:32 »

full f/l will have window switches on drivers door...
Grumpy old man

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2006, 12:46:03 »

Thanks The Boy, looks like mine is definately a full face lift then  :)

it looks like i'm stuffed on the engine in the breakers tho, they no longer have the V5 and I can't see the engine number in situ. It looks like i'm rebuilding my own one after all!

Cheers jim  

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2006, 17:52:32 »

Couldn't a friendly VX mechanic with access to a copy of TIS just input the chassis no from the ns windscreen to discover what engine it is?
Assuming you could find someone with access to TIS that is.
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2006, 18:06:48 »

I took the vin number to my local Vauxhall dealer but the guy said it didn't tell him which engine was fitted. I even took another engine number along from a different breakers and he STILL couldn't tell me  whether it had balance shafts or not! ::)

Cheers Jim

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2006, 22:27:29 »

TIS cannot give engine numbers from chassis number. Apparently.
Grumpy old man

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2006, 08:48:15 »

dont balance shafts just smooth out the engine? can vx tell you if the non balance shaft one will fit into your car on the same mounts etc.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2006, 09:18:41 »

Hi Mr Des, I'd assume that the crankshaft would be different too as the balance shafts are driven from a large gear wheel on the crank.

Cheers Jim

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2006, 09:42:01 »

Well it looks like the original car in the breakers could be a suitable engine donor after all  :) Marks DTM has identified it as a 1999 model from the vin number so it "should" have the right engine. It's got to be worth taking the chance on now so hopefully my Omega will be up and running again very soon. It'll be nice to actually get the chance to drive it  ;D

Thanks again to everyone for all their help.

Cheers Jim

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2006, 09:44:27 »

there no end to Mark`S DTM knowledge  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.