Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Major misfire on idle, 2.2 petrol manual  (Read 26476 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Major misfire on idle, 2.2 petrol manual
« Reply #60 on: 24 April 2018, 17:01:39 »

If it's running OKish with the lambda that high, then it's pretty much a dead cert that it's the exhaust manifold IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24 April 2018, 17:38:55 »

If it's running OKish with the lambda that high, then it's pretty much a dead cert that it's the exhaust manifold IMHO.
Agreed. As posted earlier, whereas all my other Omegas switch lean-rich-lean-rich on lambda sensor readings, this one is stuck on lean, with the O2 loop stuck on open. However, I have not seen any 2.2 exhaust manifolds on e-bay recently (saw a 2.0 one for sale yesterday, though, new, with gaskets, £45), so I expect to scrap the car.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24 April 2018, 18:11:12 »

The place i got my door,wing and bumper have a 2.2 sport breaking
here's their ebay shop
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/shirebrook-auto-salvage-01623742199?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

omega is not listed but give them a bell

also , are you sure the rest of the exhaust is sealed ? you can suck air by venturi effect if there;s a hole/bad joint

take it you did not try jbweld or gum gum ?

or holding your finger over the crack while they did the emissions test  ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24 April 2018, 19:06:56 »

Thanks for the tip, Dave.
The place i got my door,wing and bumper have a 2.2 sport breaking
here's their ebay shop
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/shirebrook-auto-salvage-01623742199?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

omega is not listed but give them a bell

also , are you sure the rest of the exhaust is sealed ? you can suck air by venturi effect if there;s a hole/bad joint

take it you did not try jbweld or gum gum ?

or holding your finger over the crack while they did the emissions test  ;D
Thanks for the tip, Dave. Yes, pretty sure the rest of the exhaust is sealed. I did not try jbweld or gungum, nor try putting my finger over the crack. I visited the website, they have a new 2.0 Omega exhaust manifold, not a 2.2. I could give them a ring tomorrow. Certainly a manifold at £45 is worth a punt.I have not checked Vx prices, my impression is its about £200.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24 April 2018, 21:40:42 »

MOT failed. High lambda, never below 1.15, and 14 advisories. Oh dear.
I'd take 14 advisories any day :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 24 April 2018, 21:44:45 »

Thanks for the tip, Dave. Yes, pretty sure the rest of the exhaust is sealed. I did not try jbweld or gungum, nor try putting my finger over the crack. I visited the website, they have a new 2.0 Omega exhaust manifold, not a 2.2. I could give them a ring tomorrow. Certainly a manifold at £45 is worth a punt.I have not checked Vx prices, my impression is its about £200.

Seen THIS  or THIS?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 24 April 2018, 22:23:19 »

Seen THIS  or THIS?
No! The second seems too good to be true; complete new manifold, studs, nuts and gaskets for about £30. My German isn't any good, but that would get my wreck through its MOT with a 2 year guarantee on the manifold. Many thanks.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 24 April 2018, 22:34:10 »

It certainly says Opel Omega 2.2 at the top of the advert. There are a few strange slots in the gasket, but the manifold looks right for the 2.2, i.e. without the holes for the exhaust gas recirculation. Any others care to comment?

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 25 April 2018, 10:39:16 »

Wow ! perhaps they have some old castings which have not been machined for multi-port egr
but the 4th port and the gasket make a channel to egr
hope they will deliver to the uk  :-\
in the suitable vehicles the omega b 144 hp 2.2 is listed

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 25 April 2018, 11:13:45 »

Wow ! perhaps they have some old castings which have not been machined for multi-port egr
but the 4th port and the gasket make a channel to egr
hope they will deliver to the uk  :-\
in the suitable vehicles the omega b 144 hp 2.2 is listed

In order:

don't have a 2.2 so can't say what's involved in blanking the rest of the EGR. But considering the state of used manifolds, I would rather risk doing some mods than buy a barely any better than the one on the car used item for the same money. Or there's the EGR ready one for a sensible price
Yes, they deliver. My stuff usually arrives in a couple of days.
That's how I found those listings, buy entering 2.2 Omega B in the relevant parts of the home page.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 25 April 2018, 15:36:49 »

Thanks Nick, I think I have ordered one. It's challenging all in German, biggest problem was the post code, which the site kept rejecting. Eventually I put it in

lower case, and it accepted it, promptly displaying it in upper case. I'll let you know when it arrives.I still cannot get over the price. Perhaps they are dumping old stock.Thpugh i have been fitting ATP wishbones, etc for years, and they are still cheap.

I have seen so many 2 litres with the top left hand 2 studs missing, I am nervous about this job, though I have removed 2 manifolds in the past and been lucky. Any tips?

Andy A

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol UK
    • Omega 2.2i CD manual 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 25 April 2018, 19:09:19 »

Thanks Nick, I think I have ordered one. It's challenging all in German, biggest problem was the post code, which the site kept rejecting. Eventually I put it in

lower case, and it accepted it, promptly displaying it in upper case. I'll let you know when it arrives.I still cannot get over the price. Perhaps they are dumping old stock.Thpugh i have been fitting ATP wishbones, etc for years, and they are still cheap.

I have seen so many 2 litres with the top left hand 2 studs missing, I am nervous about this job, though I have removed 2 manifolds in the past and been lucky. Any tips?

Let us know how you get on Terry. Mine has a crack in it as well.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 25 April 2018, 19:37:46 »

Certainly will, Andy. Thanks for your support.
I am worried that the front studs will break off as I try to remove the nuts. This fear is based upon the fact that 2 cars I bought for son Ben, a 2.0 and a 2.2, had missing studs there. However, when I removed the exhaust manifold on my first 2.0, it came off cleanly enough. Again, when I changed the head gasket on Jonny's 2.2, it came off OK.
Checking the photos of Jonn'y head gasket job, there is an EGR system in evidence, pump at the back of the head. So I shall have to wait and see.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 25 April 2018, 19:49:13 »

If the German is challenging, have your browser translate it - mine does it automatically.

Modern manifold fasteners are so much better than they used to be: I haven't broken one in years, no matter what they were fitted to. The old Ford/BL/etc shit we started working on 30 years ago seemed to use a special engineering grade of cheese which snapped off as soon as you looked at it hopefully.

Tips:

clean any exposed threads with a wire brush before doing anything else.
give them a squirt of your favourite penetrant(like most lubricants that's an entirely subjective choice)
use a close fitting socket or spanner, and ensure that you don't bias the tool.
apply firm, even pressure rather than a jerking motion.
Buy some lefthanded 6mm drill bits for when you do break a stud
« Last Edit: 25 April 2018, 20:04:58 by Nick W »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 25 April 2018, 20:09:41 »

Thanks of the advice on German, and the tips.
Here is the manifold I failed to save on Jonny's 2.2. I removed it to replace the head gasket. It went with the car when I scrapped it.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.