Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omegas in 'proper' scrapyards  (Read 2116 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Omegas in 'proper' scrapyards
« on: 15 August 2019, 21:50:27 »

Purely by chance I was passing Harry Buckland Car Dismantlers near Cheltenham last week, so with a couple of hours to kill, I thought I'd have a wander around and see what was on offer. I was a regular customer back in my teenage and early 20s years, trying to keep big old Wolseley 6/110s and Westminsters with the straight 6 3-litre engines on the road.

At present, there are 2 silver estates - one is a tractor juice edition (don't know much about them) and one is a a Desmond. I managed to pick up a near brand new header tank in good clear condition to replace my brown one, and apart from lots of damage to the panels and doors, there hadn't been much taken off either of them.

Not much of a market in parts for Omegas like it used to be, for obvious reasons.
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Omegas in 'proper' scrapyards
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2019, 00:36:42 »

Not many scrappy's let you wander around and remove your own parts these days either.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2019, 00:39:19 »

Last time I actually walked round a scrappy, I was about 19, so 2003 maybe.

Now they all want it either listed on eBay or you have to go through a bizarre game of sharades to explain the part you want, at which point they disappear for 10minutes and return to tell you they either don't have it, or bring you something totally different.

Such is progress.   ???

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2019, 08:55:46 »

My last 3.0 omega ended its life at one of these modern scrapyards near Granada in Spain. Nice clean reception. I told them the gearbox must be saved. I bet they didnt.

Back in the seventies, I was removing a rear spring for a Wolsey 16/60 in a traditional scrapyard in Leicester. I got locked in and only realised it when I could see a couple of doberman dogs sizing me up. That was in the days when cars were stacked on top of each other.!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 August 2019, 10:16:16 »

We still have a real scrapyard near us, but you have to wear a hi+Viz.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 16 August 2019, 11:41:08 »

We still have a real scrapyard near us, but you have to wear a hi+Viz.
It's in your shed, innit?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 August 2019, 16:48:53 »

Long gone are the days when you could wander round and fill your pockets with all and sundry..... :-\

The days when you could pick up a couple of headlights and the bloke with the mentally unstable dog would say " giveusaquidmate"

These days they seem to charge half the new price, which is ridiculous.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2019, 18:53:59 »

Long gone are the days when you could wander round and fill your pockets with all and sundry..... :-\

The days when you could pick up a couple of headlights and the bloke with the mentally unstable dog would say " giveusaquidmate"

These days they seem to charge half the new price, which is ridiculous.

.. and you don't get to fill your pockets with fuses, relays, fuel injectors, etc... :-X
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2019, 19:04:46 »

;D ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 August 2019, 20:41:11 »

Still got an "old school" yard here in town,while they do have some stuff on the shelves it is more normal to pop your head in the office and ask if they've got any Omegas[other makes/models available]and get the reply Vauxhalls down the yard on the right mate go take a look.They will for a small fee remove things for you given a day or two notice if what you want is too awkward to get at/too heavy etc. although I do believe they generally use a gas axe to remove the item you want.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 August 2019, 21:24:40 »

Still got an "old school" yard here in town,while they do have some stuff on the shelves it is more normal to pop your head in the office and ask if they've got any Omegas[other makes/models available]and get the reply Vauxhalls down the yard on the right mate go take a look.They will for a small fee remove things for you given a day or two notice if what you want is too awkward to get at/too heavy etc. although I do believe they generally use a gas axe to remove the item you want.

Sounds like the scrappies near me ..... though I wouldn't want to get caught by Tony the owner of one of them, on the face of it he's a really sound bloke, but you get the impression that you wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of him  ??? ;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2019, 09:08:55 »

Our local scrappy is still a wander round job :).  Last Omega I know of in there was mine :(
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 August 2019, 09:56:29 »

Our local scrappy is still a wander round job :).  Last Omega I know of in there was mine :(

Did you get any parts off it?  ;D

Carfix

• Malmesbury, Wiltshire
    • 1997 & 1998 Omega Elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 August 2019, 11:00:58 »

Harry's is the only scrap yard I go to now even though it is a 50 mile round trip. I can spend hours in there!!!

The turn over of cars is quite quick. If you find a car you with parts you want and you don't have the necessary tools make sure you go back within the week because it could well have been crushed after that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.