Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: one dip beam bulb keeps blowing  (Read 2291 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
one dip beam bulb keeps blowing
« on: 07 December 2017, 17:20:34 »

The passenger side dip beam bulb, keeps blowing on my wifes 1995 2.0 omega estate. It is OK for a couple of months then it just goes. I have checked the earth and power lead both seem ok and tight.  Has anybody else had this problem and if so what did you do to solve it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Re: one dip beam bulb keeps blowing
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2017, 17:24:26 »

Assume you have checked the light is secure and not vibrating causing the bulb to blow

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2017, 18:21:59 »

Thank you for the quick reply.
I have checked the earth and power connectors, both seem tight and clean, scraped the earth connection point where the earth goes to.  The spring that holds the bulb looks tight, would it hurt if I was to bend it slightly, to increase the pressure on the back of the bulb, just incase it isn't quite holding it tight enough, so as you say it is slowly moving when going over bumps?

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 December 2017, 18:23:52 »

its worth sticking a meter on the battery when engine is running to make sure its not overcharging.(higher than 14.5v when revving up) but obviously this wouldnt just affect 1 bulb !. other than that if the light doesnt have loose reflector as suggested causing a vibration and no signs of water on the bulb then its just pure bulb failure.nothing else electrically can cause a bulb to blow .no real reason to bend retaining clip unless its obviously slack.but do pay attention to any excessive up/down movement of reflector as these lights are prone to adjusters breaking.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2017, 18:26:22 by cam.in.head »

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 December 2017, 21:22:56 »

make sure you not buying cheap bulbs, and no fingerprints on the crystal glass, also check the bulb reflector make sure its secure as the adjuster can crack and wobble about in the housing. :)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2017, 20:45:20 »

I never touch the glass of the bulbs as the oil from skin, can blow the bulb. I have checked the reflector, no movement. Took bulb out and then with the main power reconnected back onto the dip beam, tried the body of the bulb against the earth terminal on the battery.  The light is trying to intermittently light. Does anyone know which wire is which on the main loom connector, that plugs into the back of the headlight?  I can then check with metre if the wires are ok.  Hoping it is in the headlight unit wiring. Will any headlight unit from any year fit, or does it just have to be from any around 1995? I have found plenty from 1997 onwards, are these the same wire input from the main plug?

Thanks in advance
Addy
« Last Edit: 08 December 2017, 20:50:17 by addy »

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2017, 10:12:32 »

head light from any year fit, but i would check the connector cluster they are the round pins they can shrink and be a loose fit on the connectors, this would cause light flicker. use a flat head screw driver and spread the conecto back so has a tight fit again. 

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2017, 11:31:12 »

Thanks for the reply. I took the headlight unit out to get a better look.  The bulb was loose in the part where it sits, so adjusted the spring that sits against the back of the bulb, it doesn't move now, couldn't see it without taking the unit out.  Checked all the wires for continuity and ok, also for power to the round connector.  Did a check for dirt and loose pins, cleaned the connector block on the back of the light and the main loom connector with electrical switch cleaner. Tried a new bulb in before fitting the unit into the car, everything is ok, even when wiggling the wires so hoping it is sorted.  I was thinking of changing the units to the later ones, as they are alot better style reflectors than the old ones.  The ones on the car are halogen, can I just purchase units that are non Xenon (Halogen only) as found these :-
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Omega-1997-1999-LH-Left-Hand-Headlight-Non-Xenon-9117187/200967585895?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2017, 14:13:37 »

yeah that light fine, they are better than the squares type.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.