Omega Help Area > Omega General Help

Strange front track rod / toe angle goings on

(1/16) > >>

Webby the Bear:
Fitted two front track rods from ATP (both inner and outer ‘ends’). Tracked it up the same time I adjusted the camber. Took it out. Lovely.

Week later I noticed it was wandering/slightly unstable at 60-ish. Checked tracking. Front camber still bang on with 1’ 10 exactly on NSF 😎 and 1’ 15 on OSF. But front toe was out again.

Adjusted again to 0’ 05 front toe. Again drove it on the dually and all good. Another week (maybe two actually) go by and I notice same slight instability. Pull it in yet again. Once again camber exactly as it was before, rear tracking bang on as I left it. But front toe out again 😧😧😧

These are, to TBs displeasure, ATP parts as mentioned above. I haven’t hit any pot holes and I e done hardly any miles. Wtf is going on? I’m tempted to just get some genuine ones but I’m struggling to see how they keep coming out of alignment. Any ideas?

Doctor Gollum:
Are all four clamps tight?

Webby the Bear:
Yeah tightened them up but I must admit they didn’t feel very  nice. I have kept the old ones so I think I’ll swap the clamp over for the old one as never had a problem with the old one.  :y

Enceladus:
The spec is -0°10' +/-10' toe-in. There is a GM TID advisory somewhere to increase the toe-in to the max limit, that's a total toe-in of  -0°20',   primarily aimed at reducing abnormal wear to the inboard edges of the front tyres.

AIUI the intent is to compensate for the 'give' in the wishbone bushes which can add toe-out when the suspension is loaded.

So in addition to anything else you choose to do I would add some more toe-in.

Webby the Bear:
Thanks Encelidous.

TBH I’m completely happy with the OOF / WIM recommended settings. It’s just that I set it and then it alters out of spec very quickly.

As said I’ll put the old clamp back on and hopefully that’ll sort it.

If not I’ll try another set of track rods as they’re easy to change.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version