Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to US  (Read 8921 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to US
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2018, 13:40:09 »

You have to have insurance in the states, it's tough business, if you develop something that is not on your plan. You can't get a new plan that covers it, because it would a pre-existing condition. Least that is my understanding....

I would hope most big corporates offer it as part of perks, e.g. Private Health I get here at work.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2018, 14:00:55 »

You have to have insurance in the states, it's tough business, if you develop something that is not on your plan. You can't get a new plan that covers it, because it would a pre-existing condition. Least that is my understanding....

I would hope most big corporates offer it as part of perks, e.g. Private Health I get here at work.

Yep, the NHS might be a massive money-pit, but at least we don't have to deal with @rsehole insurance companies just to keep breathing. It'd have to be a BIG incentive for me to ever rely solely on private healthcare.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2018, 14:04:43 »

Yep, the NHS might be a massive money-pit, but at least we don't have to deal with @rsehole insurance companies just to keep breathing. It'd have to be a BIG incentive for me to ever rely solely on private healthcare.

Yeah the private here is a "nice to have" extra, e.g. my old, old, old Boss broke his leg when off Skiing, he came back and GP said you need a scan and such.

He had about a 3 month NHS wait for what he needed, but the GP letter resulted in a private appointment the next day!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2018, 15:00:26 »

Yeah the private here is a "nice to have" extra, e.g. my old, old, old Boss broke his leg when off Skiing, he came back and GP said you need a scan and such.

He had about a 3 month NHS wait for what he needed, but the GP letter resulted in a private appointment the next day!

Health insurance is, as many o fyou know, an important part for me due to my conditions.  Pre-existing conditions must be covered now thanks to Obamacare and even the most anti-Obama GOPs won't support a repeal and replace of the Affordable care act which takes away this provision in law.

Either way, health care is covered.  In fact I am looking forward to getting some of my conditions treated over there as various thresholds (certainly in blood tests) are set to prevent serious issues later on whereas the NHS has some markers at the 'now you are are nearly dead we will treat you' level.  B12 and Thyroid blood markers are some good examples.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 February 2018, 15:13:40 »

Might be of interest...

http://www.chministries.org/

The heavy religious leaning notwithstanding, but if you're moving to the US, then you need to learn to live with that ;)

Also www.daveramsey.com and have a look at the ELP section for the Zip codes you're looking at...

The three largest items of personal debt in the US are Student loans, Medical loans, and Credit card debt...

As far as the first two go, if your insurance won't cover the bill, then they slap interest on it and bill you until it's paid, or you die. Repeat as often as required.

Having insurance does not exempt you from medical bills, having enough insurance does.

Student loans are similar.

Both items can be cash flowed with care and planning.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 February 2018, 15:13:45 »

Clearly the most important question (which I can't believe hasn't been asked yet), which honking great v8 is going to be your weapon of choice? Or is it going to be a Cadillac Catera - in true OOF fashion ;).

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 February 2018, 15:18:56 »

Clearly the most important question (which I can't believe hasn't been asked yet), which honking great v8 is going to be your weapon of choice? Or is it going to be a Cadillac Catera - in true OOF fashion ;).

Dodge RAM V8 pickup to collect the boat projects he hopes Mrs. Guffer won't find out about and another Leaf because saving up for petrol? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 14 February 2018, 15:19:44 »

Health insurance is, as many o fyou know, an important part for me due to my conditions.  Pre-existing conditions must be covered now thanks to Obamacare and even the most anti-Obama GOPs won't support a repeal and replace of the Affordable care act which takes away this provision in law.

You might not want to rely on that - a friend of mine (and a prostate cancer survivor) in the US is extremely worried about his healthcare going forward under the current administration (as he continues to have significant health issues as a result of the treatment - he's currently enjoying a stay in hospital for sepsis as a complication of a lymph node transplant); not just for him but also for his wife who has a 'pre existing condition'.. he's not given to hyperbole, either, so I don't think it's simple panic on his part.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 February 2018, 15:24:01 »

Now we're talking :y

I have been fawning over a big fat RAM3500 but until we up sticks and retire to the countryside that looks too unpractical.  I fancy another XF and the new XFR with the 3.5 supercharged motor looks very nice.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 February 2018, 15:25:25 »

You might not want to rely on that - a friend of mine (and a prostate cancer survivor) in the US is extremely worried about his healthcare going forward under the current administration (as he continues to have significant health issues as a result of the treatment - he's currently enjoying a stay in hospital for sepsis as a complication of a lymph node transplant); not just for him but also for his wife who has a 'pre existing condition'.. he's not given to hyperbole, either, so I don't think it's simple panic on his part.

Without going in to too much detail, it is covered.  Don't worry about it. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 February 2018, 15:43:46 »

I have been fawning over a big fat RAM3500 but until we up sticks and retire to the countryside that looks too unpractical.  I fancy another XF and the new XFR with the 3.5 supercharged motor looks very nice.

Hmm, yes! When I was in Canada last year, the site GM had a fully specc'd Ford Raptor. Not sure which engine, but definitely 8 cylinders and sounded  8). Given the choice I'd have to have a pickup on that side of the atlantic, regardless of where I lived :y. Not least because I'd want a huge 5th wheel to go touring with.

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 14 February 2018, 16:47:42 »

My boss is a big Ford fan (and ex pro-am Mustang racing driver) and has a Raptor - very tasty they are, indeed. They're launching a 'Raptor' Ranger over here soon but sadly it's a twin turbo diesel four banger :(

And off the off chance Matt fancies something a little different - he has a restored first generation Bronco for sale..

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 February 2018, 17:07:54 »

My mate used to live in Houston and apparently the first thing most Brit expats do on arrival is to go Pick Up shopping!   :y

Yee Haa!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 14 February 2018, 17:21:55 »

My boss is a big Ford fan (and ex pro-am Mustang racing driver) and has a Raptor - very tasty they are, indeed. They're launching a 'Raptor' Ranger over here soon but sadly it's a twin turbo diesel four banger :(

And off the off chance Matt fancies something a little different - he has a restored first generation Bronco for sale..
Diesel, eh? Not quite dead yet, then.  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2018, 17:31:08 »

I've not heard about this. Is it very new?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.