Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing Estate Centre Seat Belt.  (Read 5341 times)

05omegav6

Removing Estate Centre Seat Belt.
« on: 24 January 2011, 03:41:52 »

I had to replace mine because the inertia lock seized up. In order to sort it, you first have to remove it.
Apologies in advance, but there are fewer tea breaks in this guide. :'(

1. Pull the black handles at the front of the rear seat base, lift base and remove from car.

2. Slide both front seats forward, (and out of the way).

3. Using 21mm socket, undo and remove bolt securing belt to the floor. (will be bstard tight).

4. Use a flat blade screwdriver to prize of the belt guide from the top edge of the seat. The are 2
   slots hidden by the belt, tip in and lever towards the boot and it should unclip. Wiggle it as you
   pull it off and the side clips should free easily.

5. Fold rear outer headrests, then fold seat back forward.

6. Working carefully from the outer pivot bolt, carefully release the edge of the seat covering
   from the nearside seatback. It's a tight fit, but can be levered up with a sturdy flat blade screw
    driver. Mind the back of your fingers on the edge of the sheet metal, it's sharp! >:(

7. Once you've freed of the seat cover, peel back the carpet from the backrest. You'll need to
    fold back half of it from the top down.
    You'll now see 3 torx screws and a hex bolt.

8. Slacken and remove the torx screws. The hex bolt can be ignored for now.

9. Lift the plate and belt assembly away from the seat. Once clear you'll need to disconnect the
    cable. It is quite easy to snap the plastic where the cable is seated. This is NOT a big issue for
    reasons that I'll cover shortly.

10. Carefully pull the belt, trim, clip and buckle back through the hole at the top of the seat.

11. Have a cuppa and some biscuits. :y

12. Refitting is the reverse of above. If you remove the hex bolt that secures the reel to the plate
     remember to tighten it fully once the plate is bolted on to the seat back, do it before and you
     risk bending the plate. The upholstery edging can be refitted using a block of wood and a
     hammer.

DO NOT remove the plastic cover from the left hand side of the reel. This covers the return spring
which WILL ping off, rendering it useless, (think rewinding an unraveled cassette tape, only sharper). >:(

The right hand side of the reel has the cable attached to it. This cable is connected to the backrest release button and locks the reel if the release button is pressed. Not sure why but that is what it does. If you break the cable mount, the reel works without it, so not a real issue if broken imho. :-/

When you remove the right hand cover, you'll reveal the following:
1. A ball bearing in a cage, with a flap over it, again locks the belt if seat back out of position.  (This little beast is the reason the belt may not release when facing downhill).
2. A plastic ratchet wheel with teeth inside and out.
3. The inertia mechanism. This locks up the plastic wheel and also has a curved slot in it which...
sits over a metal pin, which is part of...
a sprung metal pawl which when thrown, jams the belt reel solid against teeth stamped into the reel casing. (this pawl had seized on mine) Unfortunately, I had foolishly) removed the left hand cover, releasing a couple of feet of steel tape into the wild. :-[
Once dismantled, you can lubricate all the bits. just be sure to pull the belt all the way out first if you use a spray grease on the metal pawl.

Not a job that many will need to do, but hopefully a bit of an insight into the workings of the centre seatbelt.

Al. :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.