Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Win 10 Problems  (Read 2655 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Win 10 Problems
« on: 11 September 2015, 17:37:51 »

Well Win10 has finally broken my trusty Tosihiba lappy.....

The other night the Laptop just shut down out the blue by itself, Now i can't get it passed the black screen that follows the windows logo. There's no cursor, Nothing just a black screen.

I did manage to get to the to "Choose an Option" menu where the following options follow..

Continue - Exit and continue to Windows 10 (didn't work)
Troubleshoot - Reset your PC or see advanced options...
Turn off your PC - (doesn't do anything to help)

So here are the Troubleshoot options...

Reset this PC - Lets you chose to keep or remove your files, and then reinstalls Windows (didn't work got some kind of error)

Advanced options menu next...

System Restore - (doesn't work)
System imagine Recovery - (windows cannot find a system imagine on this computer)
Startup Repair - (doesn't work)
Command Prompt - does allow input put I'm not that advanced enough for that.
Go back to the previous build - it couldn't find anything so that's a bust also.
Startup settings - I do have acces to these.

Any ideas guys I'm lost at this point.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Win 10 Problems
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2015, 21:06:33 »

Unless you are IT savvy, I'd stay away from Win10 for now.

So, I'd suggest rebuild as its previous OS if you're not IT savvy
or
I'd suggest rebuilding as either previous OS or Win10 if you are.
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2015, 21:18:22 »

Unless you are IT savvy, I'd stay away from Win10 for now.

So, I'd suggest rebuild as its previous OS if you're not IT savvy
or
I'd suggest rebuilding as either previous OS or Win10 if you are.

I wouldn't know how to rebuild it tbh... Normally something I'd take it to a shop for, But I'm trying to save what's on the HDD as I don't have a recent backup.

Just a thought...

If I removed the HDD and buy a docking station and connect it via USB to my old laptop shouldn't I be able to retrieve my pictures, videos, files etc?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 September 2015, 21:23:01 »

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2015, 23:58:12 »

It could be a graphics problem and not windows 10, I bought a new GPU which packed up after 4 hours, same symptoms, get the post screen then a black screen and nothing else, it may even be a drive issue if there have been some recent updates.

As for the docking station I`m not sure if it would work, I`ve used a old hard drive in a desktop and that worked so it should but couldn`t say for sure.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2015, 09:21:22 »

So you upgraded to Win10 and didn't take a backup :o.  From that, its clear you don't actually need anything that's stored on there ;)

Did you set up One Drive with the Win 10 upgrade (or if you had Win8.1 before)? If so, you may find some of your data on One Drive, depending where you stored your data.

But, yes, some kind of USB<>SATA adapter should allow you to see what is (left) on the disk
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2015, 15:05:26 »

A USB Drive adapter or empty 2.5 hard drive caddy will do, sometimes cheaper to buy a 2.5 USB external Sata Hard Drive in one, then with a couple of screws you got yourself a spare Hard Drive and an encloser at hand.

Depending how old your other Lappy is you may have to take Ownership of your Win10 Drive, but Win7 upwards should just see it.

Any Files you stored on the Win10 Drive will be in C:/User/blah,blah/Documents, Videos, Desktop etc.

If you Installed Win10 over an existing OS, your order / other files will be in C:/Windows.old, User/blah,blah.

You really should back up your HD before doing any Major mods or OS upgrades, personally I'm a great Disk Cloning fan (like for like on a spare Drive(s) rather than rely on Restore, Windows Image, Back Ups etc, might take longer to do, but a least that way if the worst does hit you, you've got another Hard Drive to get back on quickly and then a means to start researching or repairing your failed Drive.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2015, 15:06:57 by zirk »

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2015, 15:38:47 »

It's roughly 7 years old the spare/old laptop on Win Vista it is also a Toshiba, That docking station from Amazon should be here tomorrow i'll see how that goes before trying anything else.

I do have in the region of 70% backed up to a Samsung D3 2TB hard drive, It's just the more recent stuff that's not backed up... I'll admit it's my fault for not doing a backup more regularly and when I installed Win10 etc..

No idea about Google drive as anything cloud based isn't an option for me with BT broadband 2mbps download - 0.35mbps upload. Granted I could leave it over night to upload etc..

If the worst comes to the worst i'll just have to make a small sacrifice this time round and in the future backup each time I use the laptop or at least once a month.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2015, 09:05:09 »

It's roughly 7 years old the spare/old laptop on Win Vista it is also a Toshiba, That docking station from Amazon should be here tomorrow i'll see how that goes before trying anything else.

I do have in the region of 70% backed up to a Samsung D3 2TB hard drive, It's just the more recent stuff that's not backed up... I'll admit it's my fault for not doing a backup more regularly and when I installed Win10 etc..

No idea about Google drive as anything cloud based isn't an option for me with BT broadband 2mbps download - 0.35mbps upload. Granted I could leave it over night to upload etc..

If the worst comes to the worst i'll just have to make a small sacrifice this time round and in the future backup each time I use the laptop or at least once a month.

Quite a number of older Toshiba Laptops do not support Win 10, check Toshiba web site for details.
I like red cars

STEMO

« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2015, 11:50:49 »

Quite a number of older Toshiba Laptops do not support Win 10, check Toshiba web site for details.
You gettin involved in technical stuff there, Barry?  ;D

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 September 2015, 07:24:50 »

You gettin involved in technical stuff there, Barry?  ;D

You bet, still playing Captain Comic :y
I like red cars

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2015, 13:44:30 »

There's no win10 on that older laptop that's the spare I'm using while my other one that was originally on win7 when new and is roughly 3-4 years old that's the one that's playing up, The plan is to use the older Toshiba laptop on Vista with the docking station to try and retrieve data from the HDD on the one that's refusing to fire up.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 September 2015, 15:56:13 »

So far the HDD docking station is successfully transferring data to an external Samsung D3 2T hard drive via my old laptop.

There's some 200GB that needs to be transferred and the estimated is around 3 hours.

After this has completed i'll give Win10 one more chance with a fresh instal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.