Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: v6 OIL LEAK  (Read 10695 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
v6 OIL LEAK
« on: 12 September 2017, 12:16:39 »

2.5 petrol manual estate
About to change the oil on this car, and found the sump base covered in oil..Source seems to be on the right hand side, not either of the pulley seals, there is an oil drop on the starter solenoid. I see a mysterious pipe above it with an open end.

Looking from above, the pipe is beneath the exhaust manifold, and at the front end seems attached to the block with 2 hose clips.

By the way, this is not the car did the breathers on last Saturday. I did look at the pipe on  that car, and it is the same, with the rear end open.
Please advise.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: v6 OIL LEAK
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2017, 12:56:26 »

I'd be checking the cam cover seals first.

That pipe ending in a rubber pipe in lower pic looks like SAI pipe that has been blanked off.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2017, 13:53:12 »

That pipe ending in a rubber pipe in lower pic looks like SAI pipe that has been blanked off.
Thanks TB, dead right. I pulled plugs 1 and 5, and found them swimming in oil. Funny I had experienced no misfiring, and no smell of oil in the cabin.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2017, 21:36:33 »

Thanks TB, dead right. I pulled plugs 1 and 5, and found them swimming in oil. Funny I had experienced no misfiring, and no smell of oil in the cabin.

Oil is a good insulator. It only misfires when mixed with water.  Mine was not at all like oil, but smelly mayo.  New Cam seals took me 4 hours to do and now it doesn't leak.  Also replaced the suspect coil packs at the same time.  No silly fault codes for misfires since.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2017, 22:49:28 »

I imagined that as the oil leak was on the right hand side, and I found oil in plug wells 1 and 5, that the only oil leak was the right hand cam cover gaskets. Wrong. After removing the plenum I checked plugs 2, 4 and 6 - they were swimming in oil too. And yet there was no misfiring, and no smell of oil in the cabin. Any how, TB correctly identified the oil leak, thanks for that, and I have a pleasant task for the weekend.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2017, 12:15:22 »

If both have failed together, it might be a sign that the breathers are blocked.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 20:40:58 »

If both have failed together, it might be a sign that the breathers are blocked.
Looks like they are. This sadly out of focus shot shows the front of the pre throttle breathers. Oil fumes are sucked from crank case through the breather unit to this point, where they go into the engine for combustion.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 21:37:37 »

Mine were worse, despite me paying a mechanic about 5 months before to clean them out (he did other stuff and that was a whilst you have it can you just do it)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 22:57:18 »

Mine were worse, despite me paying a mechanic about 5 months before to clean them out (he did other stuff and that was a whilst you have it can you just do it)
You either do stupidly short journeys, or they weren't done...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2017, 12:38:49 »

Disaster! Have cleaned the breathers, and changed the cam cover gaskets, fitted new plugs, reassembled. Now engine starts reluctantly, but will not idle. No engine lights on. Left hand cam cover is smoking a lot, suggesting gasket not seated. Engine starts best on full throttle, I can rev it, hold it at 5500rpm, have warmed it up, but it still will not idle.

Confessions. I fitted to o/s a spare LHS gasket set I had, having used half of it earlier on another car without problems. For the n/s I ordered a complete similar gasket set from the same company, but they sent a substitue TOPRAM set. On first attempt one gasket fell out, on second attempt I thought all was well. The plugs I fitted were new Bosch R6 single electrode.

Please advise how I should proceed. Car is now unroadworthy.

Plugged in Chinese diagnostic device. With engine not running, ignition on, code 19 incorrect rpm signal was displayed.
With engine running it comments engine speed pulse inactive. Rev counter is functioning.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2017, 13:00:32 »

Air leak.

Which means you get to take it all apart again to fix it. And the smoking cam cover.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2017, 13:44:30 »

Air leak.

Which means you get to take it all apart again to fix it. And the smoking cam cover.
Hmmm. The diagnostic did say lean lean lean lean, rather than lean rich lean rich, like other cars do. Thanks Nick. My first thought was oily plugs, but thought they should clear.

I agree it behaves like a big air leak, probably an O-ring unseated or lost, probably in the upper inlet manifold.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2017, 17:28:01 »

I removed the plenum,found an O-ring displaced, most satisfactory. I replaced the O-ring and reassembled. Engine starts better, and tries to idle, but soon stalls. It still starts best with the throttle wide open. Nearside cam cover still smokes. I suppose a displaced cam cover gasket could be an air leak too, admitting air to the engine not metered by the MAF meter.

Please advise.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 September 2017, 19:53:15 »

A couple of thoughts[that are probably wildly wrong but here goes]Is all the pipe work to the rear multi ram connected correctly?Is the electrical connector of the crank sensor fully seated home[I had idling issues on mine once that I traced down to this]?Or is the crank sensor cable trapped under the cam cover[thereby giving you the oil leak]?Lastly is the IACV properly sealed around the rubber grommet into the engine and fully connected? I'm assuming the 2.5 has the IACV?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 September 2017, 20:33:36 »

A couple of thoughts[that are probably wildly wrong but here goes]Is all the pipe work to the rear multi ram connected correctly?Is the electrical connector of the crank sensor fully seated home[I had idling issues on mine once that I traced down to this]?Or is the crank sensor cable trapped under the cam cover[thereby giving you the oil leak]?Lastly is the IACV properly sealed around the rubber grommet into the engine and fully connected? I'm assuming the 2.5 has the IACV?
Thanks or your suggestions. Answering your questions -
Rear multi ram is plugged into loom(no light on) and the vacuum pipe is attached;
I haven't been anywhere near the crank sensor; if you mean the cam sensor, when I changeed the cam covers with the lower inlet manifold and plenum removed I think I would have noticed if the cable was trapped; having had the first gasket dislodge,  I was very careful with the second, checking all the way round, yet it still smokes;- I will check;
car has an IACV, and it may well have been bumped about and made leaky, will check; it is plugged in (again no light on).

I fear I shall have to get some more gaskets and repeat the whole job. Car was running perfectly before this job, just leaking oil.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.