Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre choice for the Omega  (Read 30287 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre choice for the Omega
« Reply #105 on: 07 August 2013, 20:14:31 »

TB I think we are going to have to politely differ on this one.  My main car for 15 years and well over 200,000 miles has been an omega.  I have never had tramlining to speak of.  My personal experience is that the mig is not special as regards tyres, its got 4, it puts weight on them when braking like any other car.  Some tyres are a lot better than others but personally I doubt the car is a major factor in that.
Not dissimilar to my MV6. Only time its had a tramline/stability/call it what you like issue is when I swapped the wheels between my Omegas to prove it was the SC5s that were the problem.  Even Mrs TB complained.

What I think you are suggesting is already done - a website where people can put their personal experience of tyres up, http://www.tyretest.com/.  For me that site is a waste of time
Couldn't agree more, but for different reasons, as I described in a previous post

To describe a tyre from a top rated manufactuer as shit
And dangerous. You forgot dangerous. Have you driven a well set up Omega shod on SC5s? If so, lets discuss, and see if we can work out why they worked for you :y

the most respected tyre reviewing motor magazine is wrong.  (The Continental ContiSportContact 5 came top:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2013_Sommerreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx%3FComponentId%3D160352%26SourcePageId%3D31821&usg=ALkJrhimkd8N1389lTZZj3Vql_1ESBw_LA )
Which absolutely, categorically shows why tyre reviews are not relevent unless its on the same - or very similar - chassis ;)

The 4 I had had a stability/tramline/call it what you want problem that meant at motorway speeds, it was a white knuckle ride just trying to keep it in lane - dare take your eyes off the road, such as checking rear view mirror, and you felt you were taking your life in your hands. Under braking, the car pulled like the wishbone bolts were loose (which I have suffered before, hence recognising the signs), but alas, they were always correctly torqued. Try to pull away briskly (I work in Milton Keynes, the roundabouts at rush hour can require a bootful) will light up the rears until the TC cuts the engine (the car is an auto, and this is in the dry). Corners fair little better.

I suspected a faulty tyre(s), but no amount of swapping left to right, front to rear, ever overcame it. Having 2 Omegas allows for swapping between cars, and the fault always moved with the tyres, whether I swapped all 4, or just 2.

Before the SC5s, I had some real shite on there, a real Heinz 57 of Sunew, Diamondback and 2 other ditchfinders whose names currently escape me. These budget tyres were better in every single respect than the SC5s that replaced them.  I thenk that shows how poor these tyres were on my Omegas.  I'm sure the SC5 is a great tyre on some cars, mostly like on most cars. BUT on the Omega, they are simply unsuitable.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #106 on: 07 August 2013, 20:26:01 »

Autonogrip ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #107 on: 07 August 2013, 20:26:15 »

Its a well known fact that certain brands of tyre do not work on certain cars yet perform well on other marques - there are historical instances of this going back to the days of G800s.  For any body to call a brand of tyre shit based only on their experience on Omegas is just stupid - for example Falkens are not a shit tyre, just unsuited to the Omega chassis based on the practical experience of some members, but are well suited to other makes of car (again from practical experiences).
Unfortunately there is a degree of tunnel vision exhibited by some members - I know its an Omega forum, and I agree that Omegas were great cars in their day, but times change, and the rather pedantic posts that all one manufacturers tyres are shit are wrong, and should perhaps be edited out by admins, or clarified as Omega specific, rather than a generalisation.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 07 August 2013, 20:37:58 »

Its a well known fact that certain brands of tyre do not work on certain cars yet perform well on other marques - there are historical instances of this going back to the days of G800s.  For any body to call a brand of tyre shit based only on their experience on Omegas is just stupid - for example Falkens are not a shit tyre, just unsuited to the Omega chassis based on the practical experience of some members, but are well suited to other makes of car (again from practical experiences).
Unfortunately there is a degree of tunnel vision exhibited by some members - I know its an Omega forum, and I agree that Omegas were great cars in their day, but times change, and the rather pedantic posts that all one manufacturers tyres are shit are wrong, and should perhaps be edited out by admins, or clarified as Omega specific, rather than a generalisation.

I may have misread this thread, but I have had the impression throughout that the discussion has been about the best tyres on OMEGAS, I have never read into any post in the thread that a named tyre will be rubbish on all cars. Most contributors are posting their PERSONAL experiences on their Omegas, exactly the sort of opinion that I value and welcome, and why I am now running Enduros, and am very satisfied. Dbug, I see that you are now driving a Jaguar, so your contribution of an opinion on suitable tyres for Omegas is, to say the least, somewhat dubious:y
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 20:40:13 by Shackeng »

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 07 August 2013, 20:43:10 »

we where doing so well

No change there then. ::)

yep.. agreed.. until you start provocation as usual..

and seems really no change.. ::)

Here we go got the front seat booked.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #110 on: 07 August 2013, 20:58:14 »

I may have misread this thread, but I have had the impression throughout that the discussion has been about the best tyres on OMEGAS, I have never read into any post in the thread that a named tyre will be rubbish on all cars. Most contributors are posting their PERSONAL experiences on their Omegas, exactly the sort of opinion that I value and welcome, and why I am now running Enduros, and am very satisfied. Dbug, I see that you are now driving a Jaguar, so your contribution of an opinion on suitable tyres for Omegas is, to say the least, somewhat dubious:y

Wrong, I have owned or driven (company cars) a number of Omegas over the years, and still run an '03 Omega Estate.  I have also been involved in the formulation and testing of both racing and road tyres for a well known tyre manufacturer, and a well known racing car manufacturer.  By the way I run Enduros on the Estate - perhaps you should have read all the posts before posting your inappropriate comments >:(
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

martin42

« Reply #111 on: 07 August 2013, 20:59:47 »

Looks like more popcorn is needed  :D :D :D

kevinp58

• Omega Knight
  • kent
    • 2002 3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 07 August 2013, 21:01:33 »

for many of OOFers may be..
For all OOFers, as its not relevent

but for me still meaningful..
Only if you have similar car to what its tested on.

I dont find it necessary to  repeat old discussions.. :)
Whatever works for you.

My goal here is to ensure members get all the correct advice about their Omegas. I'd hate for anyone else to go through what I went through with the SC5s, when all the tyre tests suggested what great tyres they are.

I was (and still am to an extent) stuck with them due to financial constraints - I can't afford £700 on a tyre that lasts 3.5k on the front, and about 5k on the rear - that makes tyre costs, per mile, the same as fuel.

I'd be hurt and personally devastated if I found another member had also wasted that sort of money on tyres based on a review posted by a member that was either inaccurate or irrelevent.

Ok.. I and Gixer (may be) will shut up  ;D and all you will get is a bunch of cheapo chinese brands ;D ;D

Surely it doesn't matter if they are "cheapo chinese brands" if the omega drives well on them it has been proven by TB that a expensive GERMAN brand is total shite, what matters here is as the op asks which is best for the omega, albeit cheap or expensive.  ::) :y
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 21:04:16 by kevinp58 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 07 August 2013, 21:06:17 »

In the case of Gixer's Falkens (can't remember if they were 452 or 912), I have a theory that they were overdriven, which caused something to happen to them. chrisgixer is quite a quick driver, placing heavy demands on the tyres.  As I understand it, the problem didn't show up until the tyres had covered a few thousand miles. That said, I know Dunlop had the tyres back for checking, and could find no defect.

Now tunnie had Falkens (again, cant remember if 452 or 912), and never complained. He was kind enough to lend them to me when my SC5s were shot. This were right on the legal limit (so better than my 3.5k SC5s ;D), and I found them to be OK. Not fantastic, but good enough.  Tunnie drives, well, "very economically", and places minimal demands on his tyres. In fact, as long as they will pass an MOT, he doesn't care if they are rubber, plastic or concrete. Grip is unimportant.
Grumpy old man

omega3000

« Reply #114 on: 07 August 2013, 21:10:42 »

In the case of Gixer's Falkens (can't remember if they were 452 or 912), I have a theory that they were overdriven, which caused something to happen to them. chrisgixer is quite a quick driver, placing heavy demands on the tyres.  As I understand it, the problem didn't show up until the tyres had covered a few thousand miles. That said, I know Dunlop had the tyres back for checking, and could find no defect.

Now tunnie had Falkens (again, cant remember if 452 or 912), and never complained. He was kind enough to lend them to me when my SC5s were shot. This were right on the legal limit (so better than my 3.5k SC5s ;D), and I found them to be OK. Not fantastic, but good enough. Tunnie drives, well, "very economically", and places minimal demands on his tyres. In fact, as long as they will pass an MOT, he doesn't care if they are rubber, plastic or concrete. Grip is unimportant.

:D ;D ;D

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #115 on: 07 August 2013, 21:21:12 »

for many of OOFers may be..
For all OOFers, as its not relevent

but for me still meaningful..
Only if you have similar car to what its tested on.

I dont find it necessary to  repeat old discussions.. :)
Whatever works for you.

My goal here is to ensure members get all the correct advice about their Omegas. I'd hate for anyone else to go through what I went through with the SC5s, when all the tyre tests suggested what great tyres they are.

I was (and still am to an extent) stuck with them due to financial constraints - I can't afford £700 on a tyre that lasts 3.5k on the front, and about 5k on the rear - that makes tyre costs, per mile, the same as fuel.

I'd be hurt and personally devastated if I found another member had also wasted that sort of money on tyres based on a review posted by a member that was either inaccurate or irrelevent.

Ok.. I and Gixer (may be) will shut up  ;D and all you will get is a bunch of cheapo chinese brands ;D ;D

Surely it doesn't matter if they are "cheapo chinese brands" if the omega drives well on them it has been proven by TB that a expensive GERMAN brand is total shite, what matters here is as the op asks which is best for the omega, albeit cheap or expensive.  ::) :y

Kevin, until critical conditions arise you may not see a difference between expensive and cheapo brands..  for a usual daily driving at slow speeds in crowded traffic bumper to bumper even slicks may do the job.. but when temperatures drop or the rain or snow starts to fall and you are not in a start stop traffic things will start to change and dangers will start to show their face..  at that point I choose to believe physical measured tests.. on whatever car.. at least  thats a starting point.. otherwise you have nothing in your hand.. and if someone believes that cheapos will perform similiar to expensive brands its his/her belief/decision..
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 21:23:05 by cem »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #116 on: 07 August 2013, 21:21:47 »

Now tunnie had Falkens (again, cant remember if 452 or 912), and never complained. He was kind enough to lend them to me when my SC5s were shot. This were right on the legal limit (so better than my 3.5k SC5s ;D), and I found them to be OK. Not fantastic, but good enough.  Tunnie drives, well, "very economically", and places minimal demands on his tyres. In fact, as long as they will pass an MOT, he doesn't care if they are rubber, plastic or concrete. Grip is unimportant.
Understand what you are saying Jaime - guess you are now adding another variable - driving style.  As you intimate one tyre brand may well be suitable for the sedate driver, but not for the press on type (my own style)
Should we be asking anyone who asks for advice about tyres for Omegas to advise their driving style, as it obviously makes a difference.  Maybe even Wa*li ditchfinders would be ok for the guy that sticks to 40mph  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #117 on: 07 August 2013, 21:34:59 »

The gaping hole in that observation Cem is that people have real world experience of various tyres that far exceeds the limitations of a controlled test. A chasm that increases exponentially when the test vehicle and tested tyre sizes are by and large both completely different from the Omega and the tyre sizes fitted to it.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 07 August 2013, 21:38:10 »

One brand in particular I've found good on both the 2.2 and 3.2 Omega's on the rear can't comment on the front but on the rear they have been perfect for grip, even ware, holding pressure, handling, etc.. Dunlop SP Sport 01 got them used some 16months ago only because they came with the wheels I bought 234/45/17 early FL slab alloys, Getting close to legal limit now but have been happy with them.. Just my 10 pence worth  :-X

Just a thought, Do different style of alloys affect the handling, ware, grip etc.. ?. For example FL early Elite 17s and Later Elite/MV6 17s ... FL CD 16s and CDX 16s  ???
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 21:52:23 by Mr.OmegaMan »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #119 on: 07 August 2013, 21:49:41 »

The gaping hole in that observation Cem is that people have real world experience of various tyres that far exceeds the limitations of a controlled test. A chasm that increases exponentially when the test vehicle and tested tyre sizes are by and large both completely different from the Omega and the tyre sizes fitted to it.

the point you are missing is I use tests as a starting point.. I choose the tyre first depending on several parameters than I purchase it , try it and then recommend here..  and the tests which I shared here dont mean you have to go and buy them directly

however, if you wish you may refer to old discussions and see what I have written..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.