Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre choice for the Omega  (Read 30285 times)

cnj

• Intermediate Member
  • ludgershall
    • 2.2 Manual CD(51 plate)
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre choice for the Omega
« Reply #90 on: 07 August 2013, 19:13:10 »

I feel that I must agree with T.B all this personal slagging off achieves nothing except upsetting one or another party, which I feel does the this forum no good as eventually all the good minds will leave, and this wonderful forum will close because all that will be left that will be left is the ankle snappers, which will be a dying shame. so can we please get back to the business of helping each other instead of insulting others, please !

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 07 August 2013, 19:15:52 »

On OOF, we have the benefit of a vast amount of personal experience of tyres on Omegas. We have also proved quite categorically that tyre tests on other cars is completely irrelevent.

The Falkens on Gixer's car, for example, a very well regarded tyre on family hatchbacks. On Gixer's car - I drove it about a mile at one of the Ashridge meets - plain dangerous. Dangerous in that you cannot keep it between the verge and the centre white line. Slap on my Dunlop SP9000 to test, and its fine. No doubt in my mind, based on my experiences of that tyre on an Omega with a proven "good enough" setup on the chassis, the tyre is simply unsuitable. No idea why, despite spending much time try to find comparisons with other unsuitable tyres.

My own Elite, shod last September with £700 worth of SC5, another tyre that Golf owners rave about, utterly shite from the outset, similar problem to the Falkens, but apparent immediately, not after 1000 miles or so. Fortuantely a short lived mistake, as the fronts came off at 3.5k, because they were shot. The car wasn't even driven hard, because it was too unpredictable. Rears still one, but about spent. Again, no doubt in my mind based on my experiences of the tyres on an Omega that they are entirely unsuitable. Dangerous in fact.

I know Lizzie loves Pirelli.  Having used P6000s on Mk2 Astras, Rovers and Omegas, I'd say that the tyre wasn't great, due to low levels of grip, and not a great life.  However, on one of our Rovers, the little 25 we owned from new for 12 years, the P6000 was brilliant. Stunning. Tried other brands, such as Goodyear, and the car was rubbish, go back to P6000s and the car was brilliant again. Clearly the tyre worked well on the 25, but not on anything else I've put them on. Why? Who knows.

Tyre tests done on other cars means nothing to us OOFers.

Oh, and for the record, stopping an Omega with A rated wet stopping SC5s in the rain is buttock clenching. Try to turn in the rain, don't bother with the big round thing in front of you.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #92 on: 07 August 2013, 19:19:02 »

On OOF, we have the benefit of a vast amount of personal experience of tyres on Omegas. We have also proved quite categorically that tyre tests on other cars is completely irrelevent.

The Falkens on Gixer's car, for example, a very well regarded tyre on family hatchbacks. On Gixer's car - I drove it about a mile at one of the Ashridge meets - plain dangerous. Dangerous in that you cannot keep it between the verge and the centre white line. Slap on my Dunlop SP9000 to test, and its fine. No doubt in my mind, based on my experiences of that tyre on an Omega with a proven "good enough" setup on the chassis, the tyre is simply unsuitable. No idea why, despite spending much time try to find comparisons with other unsuitable tyres.

My own Elite, shod last September with £700 worth of SC5, another tyre that Golf owners rave about, utterly shite from the outset, similar problem to the Falkens, but apparent immediately, not after 1000 miles or so. Fortuantely a short lived mistake, as the fronts came off at 3.5k, because they were shot. The car wasn't even driven hard, because it was too unpredictable. Rears still one, but about spent. Again, no doubt in my mind based on my experiences of the tyres on an Omega that they are entirely unsuitable. Dangerous in fact.

I know Lizzie loves Pirelli.  Having used P6000s on Mk2 Astras, Rovers and Omegas, I'd say that the tyre wasn't great, due to low levels of grip, and not a great life.  However, on one of our Rovers, the little 25 we owned from new for 12 years, the P6000 was brilliant. Stunning. Tried other brands, such as Goodyear, and the car was rubbish, go back to P6000s and the car was brilliant again. Clearly the tyre worked well on the 25, but not on anything else I've put them on. Why? Who knows.

Oh, and for the record, stopping an Omega with A rated wet stopping SC5s in the rain is buttock clenching. Try to turn in the rain, don't bother with the big round thing in front of you.

for many of OOFers may be..

but for me still meaningful..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 07 August 2013, 19:21:51 »

For all OOFers, as its not relevent

Only if you have similar car to what its tested on.
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #94 on: 07 August 2013, 19:23:21 »

I dont find it necessary to  repeat old discussions.. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #95 on: 07 August 2013, 19:28:36 »

Really ::)

Back to Tall Pauls original question...

Any tyre specifically mention in the list that was linked to a couple of pages back is will be fine on any Omega :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #96 on: 07 August 2013, 19:29:51 »

Really ::)

Back to Tall Pauls original question...

Any tyre specifically mention in the list that was linked to a couple of pages back is will be fine on any Omega :y

but as I see old feelings never get lost ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 07 August 2013, 19:37:05 »

Whatever works for you.

My goal here is to ensure members get all the correct advice about their Omegas. I'd hate for anyone else to go through what I went through with the SC5s, when all the tyre tests suggested what great tyres they are.

I was (and still am to an extent) stuck with them due to financial constraints - I can't afford £700 on a tyre that lasts 3.5k on the front, and about 5k on the rear - that makes tyre costs, per mile, the same as fuel.

I'd be hurt and personally devastated if I found another member had also wasted that sort of money on tyres based on a review posted by a member that was either inaccurate or irrelevent.
Grumpy old man

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 07 August 2013, 19:38:49 »

I'm sure that your paunch is no worse than many here at OOF, Mr TB. :)

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #99 on: 07 August 2013, 19:40:12 »

Whatever works for you.

My goal here is to ensure members get all the correct advice about their Omegas. I'd hate for anyone else to go through what I went through with the SC5s, when all the tyre tests suggested what great tyres they are.

I was (and still am to an extent) stuck with them due to financial constraints - I can't afford £700 on a tyre that lasts 3.5k on the front, and about 5k on the rear - that makes tyre costs, per mile, the same as fuel.

I'd be hurt and personally devastated if I found another member had also wasted that sort of money on tyres based on a review posted by a member that was either inaccurate or irrelevent.

Ok.. I and Gixer (may be) will shut up  ;D and all you will get is a bunch of cheapo chinese brands ;D ;D

dbdb

• west london
  • Tramlining,Trade Club,WIM,my time racing,Linux etc
    • f/l elite 2.6 V6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 07 August 2013, 19:41:09 »

TB I think we are going to have to politely differ on this one.  My main car for 15 years and well over 200,000 miles has been an omega.  I have never had tramlining to speak of.  My personal experience is that the mig is not special as regards tyres, its got 4, it puts weight on them when braking like any other car.  Some tyres are a lot better than others but personally I doubt the car is a major factor in that.

What I think you are suggesting is already done - a website where people can put their personal experience of tyres up, http://www.tyretest.com/.  For me that site is a waste of time - there are no repeatable measurments, it is all opinion.  Your  addition (which in my views makes it even more subjective) is to personalise it not just to the person but also to the exact type of car.

As to the abuse well I have come to accept that from some people, it doesn't bother me anymore you just have to treat it as ignorant banter. I now find it quite amusing in fact. :)

One thing that may be of concern though is the law of defamation .  To describe a tyre from a top rated manufactuer as shit and present that as fact is defamatory.  You and this forum may get sued by a tyre company.  You would need to prove in court that you are correct and the manufacturer and the most respected tyre reviewing motor magazine is wrong.  (The Continental ContiSportContact 5 came top:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests/reifen/sommerreifen/2013_Sommerreifen_Test_225_45_R17.aspx%3FComponentId%3D160352%26SourcePageId%3D31821&usg=ALkJrhimkd8N1389lTZZj3Vql_1ESBw_LA )
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 19:46:07 by dbdb »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 07 August 2013, 19:42:27 »

and all you will get is a bunch of cheapo chinese brands ;D ;D
Not if we cooperate properly on what our experiences are on tyres fitted to Omegas :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 07 August 2013, 19:44:01 »

For example, the Runways aren't bad. Not the best, but a good compromise between grip, stability and price.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #103 on: 07 August 2013, 19:45:26 »

The Sport Contact you refer to is not an Omega size. Might have been the bees knees on a 4wd Audi (or Octavia), doesn't prove anything other than it worked well on the car used in the test ::)

Who sponsored the test btw ::)
« Last Edit: 07 August 2013, 19:48:10 by ex taxi al »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #104 on: 07 August 2013, 20:04:10 »

For example, the Runways aren't bad. Not the best, but a good compromise between grip, stability and price.

I lost the count while counting the list ;D :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.