Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv8 project  (Read 34757 times)

chrisgixer

Mv8 project
« on: 19 August 2013, 23:07:46 »

Ok ladies and gents.

Took the plunge on this a while back and sourced an LS1 v8 and a 4l60e, thanks to 2woody and Taxi Al. :y

The engine has been dyno'd at 375bhp, and the box was purchased as a spare for a serious sleeper twin turbo, that never destroyed its stock box, so was surplus to requirements.

At this stage though I'm still checking fit. The gear box is loosely bolted to the lump with no tc or flywheel. Its all got to be lifted in and out a few times no doubt, so won't be spending too much on other parts until things are finalised.

Also, there WILL be a steering rack fitted in place of the steering box. This is going to be the make or brake part of the project. To find out how feasible this is I need to get the engine and box in the right place first.

Pics to follow.

Please note.

This is a long thought out project I've been discussing with various members here for a while. The engine, box, and rack are the basis of what I want to do with my car. They are NOT up for discussion as to what should be fitted or not or why.
 Please feel free to start your own thread elsewhere if you want to discuss what's best for you and your ideals.
 I'm looking for input to help this along, I'm not interested in hear say, links from web sites to prove points based on random inexperienced ramblings, what bloke said down the pub, and general stiring bs.

Please take that elsewhere.

Ta  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Mv8 project
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2013, 23:12:32 »

Looking forward to this one Chris, as you well know ;) ;)

I'm actually a bit gutted the timing is such that I'm unlikely to play much, if any, part of making this work :'( :'(
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

chrisgixer

Re: Mv8 project ( pic heavy )
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2013, 23:21:35 »

Here's the problem. Question is, how important structurally is the box section above the gear box valve body?

To help get the general geography, the pic is taken looking forward to the front of the car, with the camera almost under the drivers seat, looking at the tranmsition tunnel. The box section is where numerous holes are for captive nuts etc for the various gear boxes used on the omega.

As you can see, strictly speaking, the box doesn't fit. I was slightly worried it wouldn't as Autobild magazine mentioned there is a fit problem opel had to overcome to get the same box to fit in the chassis when they built the prototypes for the v8 omega project.

Aaaanyway, I need to make room for two areas. The right rear corner of the valve body shown. And the 4the gear lock up solenoid that fouls the heat shields and sound deadening material, and most likely, the drivers footwell metal work. This should be easy, as a big bat will likely give clearance there.

So, main question is, can I cut the box section away, above the bear box valve body? How structural is it?

Further pics to follow, of the engine bay.

chrisgixer

« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2013, 23:24:01 »

To add, the engine is resting on the sump astride the subframe at the front. The rear of the gear box needs to be raised to almost level with that box section shown to fit properly, going by some very basic measurements.

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2013, 23:25:32 »

Looking forward to this one Chris, as you well know ;) ;)

I'm actually a bit gutted the timing is such that I'm unlikely to play much, if any, part of making this work :'( :'(

Partly why I posted it now. Give you something to ponder on. Tbh I won't get much time to work on it for a good while. Given current commitments. ;)

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2013, 23:27:09 »

Engine bay. Head on. As said its not positioned correctly as its resting on the subframe. Hence the lean to the right.

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 19 August 2013, 23:30:18 »

LD I'm sure there shall be some wiring supervision needed at some point ::)

Chris, with regards that box section, might it be prudent to wait until the gearbox mount arrives, as it might drop the back of the box enough to make valvebody clearance irrelevant  :-\

Page 18 of the 'How to fit an LS into anything", might throw some light on that :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #7 on: 19 August 2013, 23:31:41 »

Engine bay drivers side.

Steering box removed. There's no way I'm entertaining this with a steering box, there simply isn't room enough. I know gm managed it with severely compromised headers, but that's not for me.

Al tried to get the box in there just to see how close it would be, there isn't room to slide it down the side, and there's no headers or plugs leads fitted yet.

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 19 August 2013, 23:33:45 »

Engine bay pas side.

Abs pump will be moved... Somewhere. :-\ ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2013, 23:38:28 »

Side on, where the rad will be, finger marking the rad position as a reminder. Looks like there's a bit of room, bit their isn't much when you see where the rad brackets are.

chrisgixer

« Reply #10 on: 19 August 2013, 23:40:43 »

Although the engine will be going rearward to give clearance for the sump to straddle the rack. And give the auto box linkage a chance of reaching, and also help the the exhaust exit by the looks.

Where weight distribution fits in with all that I'm not sure. :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 August 2013, 23:42:33 »

With regard to the autobox / box section issue - may I suggest you have a chat with Sassanach, he really knows his stuff when it comes to metalwork and I'm sure could fabricate anything you need.

General question, is this likely to be LPG'd at some point?

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 19 August 2013, 23:43:50 »

The three large electrical plugs will need to be moved at some point as well probably :-\

With regards the headers, a 3" square piece of timber cut to the length of the head should give you an idea of clearance needed for the headers (based on the dimensions given for the ones I sent a link for which measure 2.5" from the head):y

There is some wriggle room to get the radiator/aircon condensor and fans further forward if required :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #13 on: 19 August 2013, 23:45:48 »

Subframe currently on the car will be removed once the engine position is finalised. 2woody has welded some new brackets and removed the old ones on another subframe. Rack mounts will be welded to that. The current suspension will be removed complete with hub assembly to have new calliper mount brackets made and bigger discs fitted.

There's no way the oe brakes will cope with this.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2013, 23:46:15 »

As far as weight distribution goes, if the mounts sit roughly where a desmonds are, then it ought to be about the same :-\
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.