Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv8 project  (Read 34774 times)

omega3000

Re: Mv8 project
« Reply #105 on: 22 August 2013, 10:46:55 »

Good luck with this project , i will watch with anticipation of the outcome  ;)  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 22 August 2013, 11:24:31 »

I really ought to come round some time and look at this creation..

Sounds like someone's just about to mention Curry. :P
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 22 August 2013, 13:22:09 »

So much easier in the "old days" - no ecus to worry about

Done a few in my time - 3.8S Jag engine and box into 105E anglia, tuned MGB engine and O/d gearbox into Riley 1.5, 3,5L V8 into MGB (before BL did it), 3.5L V8 into a Healey 3000, and a few more - so I know some of the issues (suspension, brakes, uprating half shafts etc)

So, seriously, good luck with it ;)

Now that really must have been something! :o
Good luck with the project Chris. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #108 on: 22 August 2013, 13:39:27 »

I really ought to come round some time and look at this creation..

Sounds like someone's just about to mention Curry. :P

It's only been a couple of weeks since the .. wait, what am I saying? ;D

Perhaps we could organise an oil-change day round mine, then off to Chris' to look at the project before finishing at Miahs..

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #109 on: 22 August 2013, 15:45:58 »

So much easier in the "old days" - no ecus to worry about

Done a few in my time - 3.8S Jag engine and box into 105E anglia, tuned MGB engine and O/d gearbox into Riley 1.5, 3,5L V8 into MGB (before BL did it), 3.5L V8 into a Healey 3000, and a few more - so I know some of the issues (suspension, brakes, uprating half shafts etc)

So, seriously, good luck with it ;)

Now that really must have been something! :o
Good luck with the project Chris. :y

Yep top speed only around 100mph due to gearing, but it did get there bloody quick.  Didn't really need a steering wheel - you could "steer" it on the throttle ::) ::)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 22 August 2013, 18:01:23 »

Good luck with the project Chris, it`s making interesting reading  :y
Regarding the brakes, have you considered the Lotus Carlton set up, it would fit straight on, would be already balanced front to rear, the only problem is availability and cost. might be worth a look though.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 22 August 2013, 21:48:46 »

for what its worth......

Cable throttle definitely. You then have the option of using after-market traction control or just relying on the "brakes" part of the ABS-TC. In reality, I have the tc turned off in my Holden and rarely break traction.

For brakes, my Omega track-car uses ML front discs and Audi Q7 calipers, single piston jobbies that I believe are also fitted to some A4s and S4s. These are 365mm and seem to do the job all right. Subjectively, they're better than the Holdens APs. I haven't updated the rears, but do remember that the car never has any rear load - it rides at 332kg on each rear wheel ( as opposed to 450 or so on the front )

My Holden GTS is lighter than my Omega MV6

Check out Saab 9-5 rear discs. The main problem you have is the wheel stud pcd. whilst the ML setup is compatible at 112mm pcd, on the rear you need matching pcd and handbrake drum diameter. The Holden uses a larger handbrake drum than Omega B

The "standard" Holden (non-AP) brakes are absolutely shocking. Maybe the only car I've driven with worse brakes than Omega B.

Yes, you'll need to move the ABS modulator "block", but that's no problem. On the Holden, the engine ecu llives there - yes right next to the exhaust manifold.

Front-mounted rack, although a great idea for handling, isn't easy. You need to swap over the struts from left to right and I haven't gotten my head around that just yet. The rear rack ( that I have of yours ) will work with the subframe, but could give some exciting lower column u/j angles, but that'll need to be done "on the car".

The BTR diff can be made to fit the rear subframe, but you're probably better off starting with an Omega A rear subframe. I have a hunch that the standard diff and driveshafts will be ok so long as you don't go drag-racing.

The shell will live without the gearbox mounting, but I'd replace the same amount of strength with the mount system that you eventually use.

From your photos, the header situation isn't too bad

« Last Edit: 22 August 2013, 21:57:49 by 2woody »

chrisgixer

« Reply #112 on: 22 August 2013, 21:57:42 »

for what its worth......

Cable throttle definitely. You then have the option of using after-market traction control or just relying on the "brakes" part of the ABS-TC. In reality, I have the tc turned off in my Holden and rarely break traction.

For brakes, my Omega track-car uses ML front discs and Audi Q7 calipers, single piston jobbies that I believe are also fitted to some A4s and S4s. These are 365mm and seem to do the job all right. Subjectively, they're better than the Holdens APs. I haven't updated the rears, but do remember that the car never has any rear load - it rides at 332kg on each rear wheel ( as opposed to 450 or so on the front )

Check out Saab 9-5 rear discs. The main problem you have is the wheel stuid pcd. whilst the ML setup is compatible at 112mm pcd, on the rear you need matching pcd and handbrake drum diameter. The Holden uses a larger handbrake drum than Omega B

The "standard" Holden (non-AP) brakes are absolutely shocking. Maybe the only car I've driven with worse brakes than Omega B.

Yes, you'll need to move the ABS modulator "block", but that's no problem. On the Hoilden, the engine ecu llives there - yes right next to the ex. manifold.

Thanks 2woody. :y

Do you see any issues with cutting the transmission tunnel box section areas to make way for the box...?

Also, a general,point I wanted to mention re rear handbrake, I wanted to stay away from a caliper operated handbrake, as when they cool and the disc shrinks they can loose bite and fail allowing the car to move.
 A drum set up has the opposite effect, in that the disc folks and shrinks onto the handbrake shows, increasing the hold on the brake, instead. Afaik anyway.

Although its an auto so should lock in park anyway. So thanks for reminder in Saab rears. :) but it also sounds like a suck it and see approach will do. :y

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 22 August 2013, 21:59:36 »

I've just added to that post - you seen ?

chrisgixer

« Reply #114 on: 22 August 2013, 22:00:19 »

4l60 gear box mount arrived today. Its small and basic, but lends itself readily to modification by the looks.
Thanks Al. :)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22 August 2013, 22:01:10 »

I've got a set of brake calcs for my set-up. Can knock this into a passable "engineer's report" for the insurers.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 22 August 2013, 22:02:04 »

caliper-squeezing handbrakes are crap.

chrisgixer

« Reply #117 on: 22 August 2013, 22:02:51 »

I've just added to that post - you seen ?
Got it.

Ta. :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #118 on: 22 August 2013, 22:04:43 »

Note to self, buy cutting discs. ;)

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #119 on: 23 August 2013, 01:54:21 »

Note to Chris,    i've got about 50 of them you can have for nothing....    (not that they cost much)

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.