Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Mv8 project  (Read 34746 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Mv8 project
« Reply #90 on: 21 August 2013, 21:00:45 »

Or an ABS from a car that had this drive train?
Grumpy old man

chrisgixer

« Reply #91 on: 21 August 2013, 21:01:19 »

really liking the look of this CG  :y
Thanks Webby. :)

I fear I have a decision to make though, and its one of no return by the looks.

I was under the car today, and a thought occurred, the area surrounding/fouling the gear box valve body that needs trimming away, might be the mounts I need to use for a manual box.

If so, there'll be no manual option once its been cut. :-\

I guess this is a moment of doubt. :(

;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #92 on: 21 August 2013, 21:02:45 »

Hmmm, might be available. Might.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 21 August 2013, 21:06:23 »

Just as getting the engine bolted in the car is about a quarter of the work in an engine swap, I suspect that just joining up the appropriate wires is simply going to be the start of making the electrics/electronics work. Like Chris, I would want all the systems to work, if at all possible.

It doesn't take much for things not to work; I found that a Sierra temp gauge sender does nothing when fitted to a Capri, even though they were visually identical. I know that traditional rev-counters read incorrectly when fed from a different number of cylinders; I suspect that's going to be the case here.

I'd want to know that the ABS/TC ECU won't have the raging hump when divorced from the engine, before going much further. If it just powers the speedo, you'll be ahead. Re-programming is unlikely to be something you can do at home!

Unlike mechanical issues, the electronic ones are likely to leave you shouting in rage at something that should work, but doesn't. Well, they do to me.

You mentioned that GM's prototype had compromised headers, due to the lack of space, I'd be amazed if what you end with isn't compromised too. It amazes me how just fitting one more small component entirely  fills what looked like a big space. The trick to this is to fit as much as you possibly can before committing to any difficult jobs. The steering and headers are definitely going to be difficult as they both have to be in particular places.

At least you're going into this complicated job with your eyes open, unlike some of the daft stuff I've done in the past.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 21 August 2013, 21:15:44 »

I was under the car today, and a thought occurred, the area surrounding/fouling the gear box valve body that needs trimming away, might be the mounts I need to use for a manual box.

;D

Make a neat job of cutting it, and keep the 'waste.' Then, as it's only metal, weld it back if the plans fall through.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21 August 2013, 21:55:00 »

Interesting project Chris,one thing about brakes though,a mate of mine had an RS4 and the front discs/pads were shaking a grand to buy when he had it a couple of years ago,Im guessing they aint got cheaper over time :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 21 August 2013, 21:59:01 »

really liking the look of this CG  :y
Thanks Webby. :)

I fear I have a decision to make though, and its one of no return by the looks.

;D

He who dares wins mate  :y :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #97 on: 21 August 2013, 22:00:53 »

;D

Make a neat job of cutting it, and keep the 'waste.' Then, as it's only metal, weld it back if the plans fall through.
Yes I have a problem with cutting holes in stuff ;D

Post 49 for the omega v8 headers. The left hand drive side is the one that makes me cringe. (Pot8?)
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4276404

Others opinions differ, but IMO, that's the reason the original project was binned back in 2000. Or at least the only sound mechanical reason anyway.

The rack steering column will indeed be fighting for space with the headers. Plus, as I offered it up earlier, the starter motor is that side too. :(
« Last Edit: 21 August 2013, 22:02:58 by chrisgixer »

05omegav6

« Reply #98 on: 21 August 2013, 22:14:00 »

Early facelift 3.0 auto ECU along with the throttle pedal, cable and cruise gubbins :y

ABS ECU drives the speedo on the Omega which could help :-\

With regards the gearbox mounting, have you looked at the pages I suggested in "How to fit an LS into anything" yet? Gives a few options with pics :y rereading it, you're pretty much guaranteed to have to get creative with the mounting, but you need the rack in place in order to position the engine just so :y

chrisgixer

« Reply #99 on: 21 August 2013, 22:23:47 »

Interesting project Chris,one thing about brakes though,a mate of mine had an RS4 and the front discs/pads were shaking a grand to buy when he had it a couple of years ago,Im guessing they aint got cheaper over time :-X
Will look into pad prices on the calipers, good point. :y
ML discs aren't too bad from German and Swedish.

Audi Rs6 with seperate top hat centres from Gsf look nice
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Right-Brake-Disc-for-Audi-A6-02-05-/370850643721?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item56586bbf09

....until I saw the quantity. 1 :o

05omegav6

« Reply #100 on: 21 August 2013, 22:33:15 »

Only one left too :-\

chrisgixer

« Reply #101 on: 21 August 2013, 23:01:36 »

Early facelift 3.0 auto ECU along with the throttle pedal, cable and cruise gubbins :y

With regards the gearbox mounting, have you looked at the pages I suggested in "How to fit an LS into anything" yet? Gives a few options with pics :y rereading it, you're pretty much guaranteed to have to get creative with the mounting, but you need the rack in place in order to position the engine just so :y

Yes I came to that conclusion today after getting under there having put the rear wheels on ramps. It is the next step... Fit the other subframe, line the rack up, blah...

I'm back to work tomorrow so not much will happen for a week now. Doh!

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #102 on: 22 August 2013, 00:14:04 »

So much easier in the "old days" - no ecus to worry about

Done a few in my time - 3.8S Jag engine and box into 105E anglia, tuned MGB engine and O/d gearbox into Riley 1.5, 3,5L V8 into MGB (before BL did it), 3.5L V8 into a Healey 3000, and a few more - so I know some of the issues (suspension, brakes, uprating half shafts etc)

So, seriously, good luck with it ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 22 August 2013, 00:16:20 »

You need an Omega ABS ECU as they are tuned for the chassis and braking / reluctor setup. CAN ABS ECU will be no good because it won't see the correct engine and trans. ECUs. As you say, only hope is probably a 3.0 ECU with less intelligent interfaces to the other ECUs. Even then, getting the traction control to play properly might be interesting. (but it's pretty pants anyway, so why not a non-TC ECU from a  4 pot and give yourself an easy life?)

And yes, I'd go back to a cable throttle. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #104 on: 22 August 2013, 10:38:20 »

I told you those discs would make the M3 ones (about £130 a corner, genuine from BMW) look cheap .. ;D ;D

Re: rear brakes (damn you guys talk a lot while I'm away, don't you.. I'm going back a bit here) - I'm with Kevin in that I'd upgrade the fronts, fit an adjustable bias valve, take it to a set of MOT rollers and adjust the bias so they lock up at roughly the same time and then see what it's like on the road driven hard. I strongly suspect it would be more than fine, you might just need to tweak the rears to do a little more work - but probably not as much as you think.

I really ought to come round some time and look at this creation..
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.