Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newer cars  (Read 17008 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Newer cars
« Reply #195 on: 15 December 2013, 12:42:31 »

It's a shame that the X types have such a bad rep.  :(

I've always fancied one of the AWD estate's, but the tales of hidden rust under the sill covers and transfer boxes made of chocolate put me right off!  :-\  :(

I'd avoid one of these abortions like the plague, Sir Tig........unless you can source one for 99p like that well known 'tightwad' Mr Emd. :y :y

omega3000

« Reply #196 on: 15 December 2013, 15:55:39 »

I've always fancied one of the AWD estate's, but the tales of hidden rust under the sill covers and transfer boxes made of chocolate put me right off!  :-\  :(

I'd avoid one of these abortions like the plague, Sir Tig........unless you can source one for 99p like that well known 'tightwad' Mr Emd. :y :y

Unfortunately the rust repairs would cost more than 99p

Ive been looking at a few classic cars , only thing that puts me off them is like what you say .. has to be reliable and wont fall to bits after a salt laden winter  ???
I would use it all year round , no point in ownership if its just going to sit there  :D

Only one that appeals is the SD1 or P6 but then this would be solid enough for a hash winter

Autotrader Rover   :-*

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 15 December 2013, 17:50:46 »

No I don't think I'll ever buy an X Type, but I do quite like the idea of a 4x4 estate.  8)

I guess the options are the Volvo, Audi or Subaru.  :-\  Might give a Legacy a go one day.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 15 December 2013, 18:49:06 »

I've been looking at a few classic cars , only thing that puts me off them is like what you say .. has to be reliable and wont fall to bits after a salt laden winter  ???
I would use it all year round , no point in ownership if its just going to sit there  :D

Only one that appeals is the SD1 or P6 but then this would be solid enough for a hash winter

There's no reason why a classic car shouldn't be reliable for daily use, as that's what they were designed for! Pick one that is already in daily use, and you shouldn't have too many problems. Plus, they're easy and cheap to fix if anything does go wrong.

If you're looking at SD1 or P6, then six cylinder Triumphs are a good bet. A 2500 with overdrive is even decent on the motorway, has a nice interior, plenty of space and if you buy a good one and keep it that way is only likely to appreciate. Fuel economy is pretty much the same as an Omega and the other running costs are likely to be much lower. Although that's true of pretty much any classic these days.

albitz

« Reply #199 on: 15 December 2013, 20:08:50 »

I could have been easily tempted by a newer car today when I was changing the lower arm balljoints on a 23 year old, 207k miles Merc 190. I feel like ive gone several rounds with Tyson tonight. ::) ;D
Still,should have 12 months ticket on it tomorrow.  :)

Radar

• Omega Knight
  • Berkshire
    • Elite 2.5 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 15 December 2013, 20:46:42 »

Can't believe what I've done but I just bought an eclass 300td - 1999 - reckon tb would be happy with something similar - ticks a lot of boxes.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 15 December 2013, 23:07:24 »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.