Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: Scimitar MV6  (Read 77218 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Scimitar MV6
« Reply #45 on: 13 December 2011, 09:43:13 »

Its a shame thats its a compromise, but do you see my point?

Absolutely. Just batting ideas around in case they'd been overlooked. ;)

The non-servo brakes on my Westfield took some getting used to. They feel spongy compared to a servo setup simply because the master-to-slave cylinder ratio has to give you a bit more mechanical advantage, so there's more pedal travel. Once used to them, you find they will stand the car on its' nose pretty easily. 650kg car, though. :-\

Traditional bias valves are more pressure limiting devices. I guess they allow you to have a reasonably good amount of braking at the rear when braking moderately yet limit it for very hard braking. I think you'll always find some circumstances where the back'll lock before the front unless you go for a ridiculously "safe" bias like most production cars have.  Finding the "sweet spot" that works for you is half the fun of it, of course. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dishevelled Den

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 December 2011, 10:37:46 »

A very interesting thread - well done to Lozz and the contributors. 8)

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 13 December 2011, 17:49:39 »

TBH, if starting from a relatively "clean sheet", as you are, and determined to get the brake balance spot on, I might be inclined to fit a twin master cylinder setup and bias adjustment.

I was pondering trying to fit that in on the Dax - not a great deal of space, but I wonder if I could sneak a 'proper' pedal box in there rather than the very dangly flimsy looking one they supply..

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 13 December 2011, 18:57:29 »

TBH, if starting from a relatively "clean sheet", as you are, and determined to get the brake balance spot on, I might be inclined to fit a twin master cylinder setup and bias adjustment.

I was pondering trying to fit that in on the Dax - not a great deal of space, but I wonder if I could sneak a 'proper' pedal box in there rather than the very dangly flimsy looking one they supply..

Be careful at IVA, though. They need to be in the most rearward position and welded up so no longer adjustable, and the fronts still need to lock first. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #49 on: 13 December 2011, 18:59:37 »

Be careful at IVA, though. They need to be in the most rearward position and welded up so no longer adjustable, and the fronts still need to lock first. ::)

Apparently they don't need to be welded up anymore (hurrah!) just (to quote the IVA manual):

Note 5: Bias bars and other mechanical adjusting devices fitted to twin master cylinders must be rendered inoperable by mechanical means e.g. lockwiring of components.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 13 December 2011, 19:26:08 »

When we SVA'd my mate's Dax Rush they made us drill holes through the nuts and balance bar, and lock wire them which, fortunately, we were equipped to do in the car park of the test centre. Hmm. balance bar with holes drilled through it.  :o It made one gingerly drive home before it was replaced with a new, unmolested one.

aaronjb

« Reply #51 on: 13 December 2011, 19:27:53 »

There is little 'logic' in quite a bit of the IVA regs..

Though I'm impressed you were prepared with drill and lockwire.. I know everyone takes duct tape/screwdrivers/spanners etc, but that's definitely taking it one step further :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 December 2011, 19:38:41 »

There is little 'logic' in quite a bit of the IVA regs..

Though I'm impressed you were prepared with drill and lockwire.. I know everyone takes duct tape/screwdrivers/spanners etc, but that's definitely taking it one step further :)

Oh, we had everything. ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #53 on: 13 December 2011, 20:15:36 »

Oh, we had everything. ;)

Must remember to pack a Kevin Wood in the boot when I go for the IVA... ;D

Ahem, and now, back to the topic at hand  :-[ Scimitars.. :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 13 December 2011, 21:20:34 »

Hmmm, I didn't realise that's what they were :(  This website explains it very well. 

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/proportioning-valves

Thats very dissapointing.  Whats far far more dissapointing was that I missed an auction today some rediculusly cheap Insiginia 2.8 turbo front calipers.  Ali four pots with dust seals, bembo, and big enough to take 330mm discs, not that I'd go that big.  They went for £53 :( :( :( :( :(   VERY VERY GUTTED :( :( :( :(

They were perfect in terms of balance too, when working with the focus RS 324mm front discs.  AAAAGGHHHHHH!!!#

Thanks for your comment Desperate Den :)

The IVA puts shivers down my spine, the Scim would really struggle, I guess thats the main reason I decided not to put IRS on the back, it would be awesome though. 

aaronjb

« Reply #55 on: 13 December 2011, 21:25:56 »

You'd only need to go through the IVA if you needed to re-register the vehicle, though, surely? So you could stick IRS on it and it wouldn't affect the current reg.. unless there's something about V5s that I don't know (entirely possible!) :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 13 December 2011, 22:09:06 »

There's the points system.  The car can be MOT'd if its not too modified.  It has to retain 8 points of the original car, and there are different numbers of points awarded for different bits

Chassis 5 points                 tick
Engine 1 point                   urm no
Steering,
Axles,
Suspension,

Can't remember all of them but my car is close, so If I go changing the rear end (or more importantly the chassis to suit) then it wouldn't have its 8 points so it would need to be re-registered. 

I think!

aaronjb

« Reply #57 on: 13 December 2011, 22:18:28 »

Ah, gotcha :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 22 December 2011, 08:43:16 »

Had a day ont he car yesterday :) 

I've started making what I feel is the best solution to the problem of the front indicators.  I can't seem to find a solution which doesn't look daft.  So I'm hollowing out the main beam lamps and putting hte indicators in them. 

I started grinding the original sealed beam jobbies, I was very surprised this worked at all, but then the heat got the better of them and the glass cracked. 

So I moved onto the capri lights from ebay, these have metal backs so were much easier to work on. 

Cut the back out.

And glued the mini style indicator lenses in.  Its hard to photograph, it doesn't look wuite that orange when using your own eyes, but I'm already thinking I should have gone with clear lenses and orange bulbs, we'll see how they look on the car.

I spent a long time trying to trace an intermittent fault with the crank position sensor and got nowhere yet.  I think I'm going to reroute the wire away from any other electrics incase its just picking up too much noise.

More to come.

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 22 December 2011, 20:33:01 »

Had a day away from the car, but this evening I had a sneaky go in the garage and got the Lambda Bosses welded in, all SS, 1m from the back of the valve. 

More to come, In fact its early I might go and get the LC-1 Lambda sensor computer thingy intalled. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 38   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.