Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: L322 4.4 V8 Range Rover breakdown / ramblings  (Read 3811 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: L322 4.4 V8 Range Rover breakdown / ramblings
« Reply #15 on: 06 October 2020, 23:21:23 »

What happens if you slap the tank whilst cranking?

Is effective enough on the Omega to prove a point, if only to confirm that the pump is a couple of stickings from dying completely ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 October 2020, 22:11:41 »

I changed the pump in the tank today, the whole assembly, with the sender unit, etc. £60 from eBay, arrived next day, two year guarantee. Dead easy to do, from above.

One of these:

Bring on the slating, for that pattern part. But It's a very rapid, and very cheap way of getting mobile again.

Tomorrow, I'm going to wire in a switch, so that the pump only runs for the initial start up, prior to the switch to LPG.

So, chances are, in those conditions, it'll last for ages :y :y

As an aside, it's one of the best LPG installs I've ever seen. And no, regrettably, it wasn't mine.

I took a real gamble with this car, which paid off... but that's for another thread, with piccies :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 October 2020, 22:13:04 »

I changed the pump in the tank today, the whole assembly, with the sender unit, etc. £60 from eBay, arrived next day, two year guarantee. Dead easy to do, from above.

One of these:

Fired up first time after that :y :y :y

Bring on the slating, for that pattern part. But It's a very rapid, and very cheap way of getting mobile again.

Tomorrow, I'm going to wire in a switch, so that the pump only runs for the initial start up, prior to the switch to LPG.

So, chances are, in those conditions, it'll last for ages :y :y

As an aside, it's one of the best LPG installs I've ever seen. And no, regrettably, it wasn't mine.

I took a real gamble with this car, which paid off... but that's for another thread, with piccies :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 October 2020, 22:29:56 »

Sorry for the double post  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 October 2020, 22:32:47 »

That's alright, it's what most of the forum expect from using pattern parts......... ;)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 October 2020, 22:41:18 »

Not a problem to me !

Glad to hear a) you are keeping well and active, b) problem is solved quickly and cheaply !!

IMHO with the ages of all the cars we try and keep going, pattern parts are going to become the only option on may occasions !!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 October 2020, 22:46:42 »

James, before you go ahead with you switch, do you know if there is any kind of ECU learning on the fuel pump run time relative to fuel rail pressure (that DTM bloke might know). 

The reason I ask is that I remember reading in a Saab forum about people trying to lpg the GM 2.8T V6. One of the issues is that the Saab learns fuel pressure relative to fuel pump effort. So running on Lpg would cause the ECU to back off the fuel pump (as the rail pressure doesn't drop on Lpg) until Ultimtely the car would no longer run on petrol.

Just wondering if cutting off the fuel pump (so presumably 0v draw) could give you a similar issue.  :-\

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 October 2020, 22:47:01 »

Not a problem to me !

Glad to hear a) you are keeping well and active, b) problem is solved quickly and cheaply !!

IMHO with the ages of all the cars we try and keep going, pattern parts are going to become the only option on may occasions !!

Cheers, Nige :y

If it were an under-car job, I'd have likely sent it to Serek....but thankfully, just had to fold up the seats, remove some carpet and tie it up... and the pump is accessible from the top, via an access hatch! A little fiddly, but by no means difficult...  a novice to intermediate DIYer like me could take that on no problem :y :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 October 2020, 22:48:49 »

James, before you go ahead with you switch, do you know if there is any kind of ECU learning on the fuel pump run time relative to fuel rail pressure (that DTM bloke might know). 

The reason I ask is that I remember reading in a Saab forum about people trying to lpg the GM 2.8T V6. One of the issues is that the Saab learns fuel pressure relative to fuel pump effort. So running on Lpg would cause the ECU to back off the fuel pump (as the rail pressure doesn't drop on Lpg) until Ultimtely the car would no longer run on petrol.

Just wondering if cutting off the fuel pump (so presumably 0v draw) could give you a similar issue.  :-\

You raise a good point, and I'll check - thank you! i expect it will be fine, I did a long way with the fuel pump disconnected, and no ill effects, but I'll definitely look into it.

In all honesty, the fuel pump should be ok to run all the time, I was just considering ways to save / prolong it's life, given it's a pattern one, and to my knowledge, doesn't need to run when the car is on LPG :y :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 October 2020, 22:54:19 »

In all honesty, the fuel pump should be ok to run all the time, I was just considering ways to save / prolong it's life,

It IS fine to run all the time, as it does when running on petrol.

BUT, it must be sitting in fuel, and pumping fuel. That's what keeps it cool.

As lots of LPG users rarely have more than a dribble of fuel in the tank, that often doesn't happen.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 October 2020, 22:57:38 »

You raise a good point, and I'll check - thank you! i expect it will be fine, I did a long way with the fuel pump disconnected, and no ill effects, but I'll definitely look into it.

In all honesty, the fuel pump should be ok to run all the time, I was just considering ways to save / prolong it's life, given it's a pattern one, and to my knowledge, doesn't need to run when the car is on LPG :y :y

No worries, James - as you say I'm sure it will be fine.

Tbh I'm just glad to see you back on here and to hear you're well and obviously getting about the place  :)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 October 2020, 23:01:48 »

As lots of LPG users rarely have more than a dribble of fuel in the tank, that often doesn't happen.

Lesson learned  - the hard way  ::) ;D :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2020, 07:41:10 »

Looking at the fuel system schematics, its similar to the GM setups of the 90s.

So pump raises the pressure, this is controlled by the fuel pressure regulating valve which returns excess to the tank.

The systems that modulate the fuel pressure are usually direct injection setups  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2020, 10:20:08 »

Sounds like the same set up as the Monaro  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.