Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2981469 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #19440 on: 18 November 2019, 16:46:31 »

Yeah, reasonably easy to get to, just the engine cover off and the intercooler hose off.  But it was cold, wet and windy ;D
you got a different engine   ??? Y20DTH
no cover or hose to remove  :-\ you can get a socket on it from above
I pull the electrical plug off the EGR as it's tight to sneak the filter / cap past
and I've got massive hands and sausage fingers  ;D
pic of one from your favorite auction site   :P

The engine changed in 2003, though both are y20DTH

Mine has vacuum egr and edc15 ecu
Grumpy old man

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: 18 November 2019, 16:46:58 »

Thought I'd give the Sports Car* a new set of discs and pads. Found that one of the caliper pins is more stuck than a stuck thing. It's resisted all attempts to bash the living crap out of it, so it's currently in a PlusGas bath. I've also ordered a new one from the bay**, in case it continues to resist. Bloody thing. And the boot and roof are FUBAR.

*2006 Tigra 1.4. Raging masculinity and power.

**protip - Corsa parts are much cheaper than Tigra parts, despite being identical.
I'd try and avoid buying a corsa roof or boot for the Tigra
even if they are cheaper  ;D

:D :D

Couldn't fit worse than the panels fitted pre-our ownership, and painted with what appears to be Dulux... there's beauty in having an already dented car that you can park anywhere. The only risk is three year olds trying to pick it up and put it in their mouths.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: 18 November 2019, 17:58:02 »

Found that some scrote has had a go at the n/s door mirror on the Volvo 960 >:( The mirror glass was dangling by its wires while the surround was on the floor beside the car.It looks as though someone had removed the surround[breaking the mounting clips in the process]pulled the mirror glass from the motor but then failed to pull the wires off-they were on really tight-so tomorrow I'll have to have a look at refitting it. >:( >:(

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: 18 November 2019, 18:28:07 »

Found that some scrote has had a go at the n/s door mirror on the Volvo 960 >:( The mirror glass was dangling by its wires while the surround was on the floor beside the car.It looks as though someone had removed the surround[breaking the mounting clips in the process]pulled the mirror glass from the motor but then failed to pull the wires off-they were on really tight-so tomorrow I'll have to have a look at refitting it. >:( >:(
sounds more like it was hit ,was it roadside or pavement ?
clip a mirror at speed and bits shoot off
idiots walk down the pavement too, trashing every mirror they pass at night  >:(

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: 18 November 2019, 19:57:26 »

It was/is pavement side and judging from position of mirror housing was "hit" from the mirror side[as though someone going past the car from rear towards front]but it must have been with much force/a deliberate act to dislodge the surround breaking its retaining clips not to mention to dislodge the mirror glass itself from the adjusting motor.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19445 on: 18 November 2019, 20:25:04 »

Bicyclist :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: 21 November 2019, 18:22:17 »

Yesterday go that annoying slow puncture on the Zafira repaired. Unsurprisingly, it was the seal wasn't great, as most tyre fitters seem to think if they chuck on a load of sealant, they don't need to clean up the rim.

Then sent Mrs TB away for the weekend in it ;D
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: 22 November 2019, 21:30:55 »

Took the Astra to Serek for discs, pads and brake fluid change  :) he also got the slow puncture sorted and I've left him with a set of Omega wishbones that need a refurbish :y ;D

Top service at a great price as always  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: 24 November 2019, 10:00:22 »

With the help of that Gixer fella, in the comfort of his warm, dry garage, yesterday we changed TBE's cambelt at last.  After just shy of 90k and just over 8 years, as expected the belt looked fine but the pulley bearings were suspect.  Also replaced the aux belt, that to my knowledge was original, but in a bad way - it was this squealing the other morning, waking me up, that really prompted me to do the cambelt ASAP.

It wasn't quite smooth sailing, as one of the PAS pulley bolts had to be cut off - the sort of snag that could have halted me if I was on my own, having to think how to cut it off (no room for Dremel etc), but fortunately chrisgixer had the perfect airtool.

We must be getting old, as I rocked up about 11:30am, and left around 7pm - although we probably lost a couple of hours with the problematic bolt, and were distracted for a bit as the ever lovely Mrs Gixer insisted we had a cooked breakfast - thanks H :).  I suspect the biggest issue was getting the enthusiasm into a pair of middle aged men to actually make a start ;D

Many thanks to chrisgixer :y

Driving home, strangely for some unknown reason quite sedately - unsure why, was I bedding the belts in, was it because of the crap weather and the slippery lanes, the learner I caught up, no idea - but it seemed much quieter and smoother.  Probably placebo, or the fact I rarely drive it sedately. But it really was a joy to drive home.  The Omega is a very hard car to beat.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: 24 November 2019, 12:58:56 »

Now you have to keep it for another 90K or 8 years TB  :)

I spent a few spare hours in the week, I stripped the brakes off,including discs, cleaned up the backplates,
 treated for rust,painted etc then adjusted the shoes to bang on , rebuilt the brakes etc
Handbrake is 3 clicks ,which is how i like it,hope my MOT tester sees it that way ,he Wrongly gave me an advisory in the past for this on a Carlton "insufficient travel" which is codswallop, travels enough to lock the wheels and un-lock the wheels  ::)
I'd have to adjust at the compensator to slack the cable ,but I've not been in there,so it probably needs a new front cable (nut rusted up pussibly) I will order one, I have a new twin rear cable in the hoard.

greased,lubed various moving bits underneath ,touched up underseal,
checked sills and lost a couple of button clips  :(

need to polish the headlights and empty some ballast out before MOT  ;D

Driving home, strangely for some unknown reason quite sedately - unsure why, was I bedding the belts in, was it because of the crap weather and the slippery lanes, the learner I caught up, no idea - but it seemed much quieter and smoother.  Probably placebo, or the fact I rarely drive it sedately. But it really was a joy to drive home.  The Omega is a very hard car to beat.
I really enjoy my Omega wafting along in the traffic  :)
I'm also very impressed at how well it handles on a "less leisurely drive" considering the amount of "extra ballast",tools etc it  has to cope with  :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: 24 November 2019, 13:06:42 »

Agree with all of the above, but no longer have the inclination to keep one. Hoping to move away from sub £500 cars in the near future and a nice Omega won't be on the list :'( mostly because there's no such thing, and even if there was, it would need the suspension overhauling and cam belt, not to mention all the other bits and bobs. All of which doubles the cost...

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19451 on: 24 November 2019, 13:14:34 »

Agree with all of the above, but no longer have the inclination to keep one. Hoping to move away from sub £500 cars in the near future and a nice Omega won't be on the list :'( mostly because there's no such thing, and even if there was, it would need the suspension overhauling and cam belt, not to mention all the other bits and bobs. All of which doubles the cost...
buy a 3 grand Omega then DG  :y
it will still need just as much love/fettling  though to keep it driving right  ;D
many newer cars will too ,but newer cars would give better MPG  :-X ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19452 on: 24 November 2019, 13:34:18 »

You can add £1,500+ in remedial work regardless of purchase price, as any one here with a keeper can testify ;)

And whilst a sorted Omega is a good all rounder, the rapidly dwindling source of reliable parts doesn't make it a good long term proposition as a daily. Which is why most people who run them as dailies have spare cars...

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: 24 November 2019, 13:38:20 »

Mine has had all of the above and more done, but its not for sale, yet. If it was I would feel lucky to get a bag of sand for it, as despite have spent the thick end of two and a half grand on it ( not including purchase price)in the last three years, it has 186k on the clock which means it will never be worth much.
As TB says though, they are hard to beat, which is why Im reluctant to change mine for something else. It doesn't get used daily, but when I drive it I immediately remember how good a car it is for very little money.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: 24 November 2019, 13:57:23 »

Mine has had all of the above and more done, but its not for sale, yet. If it was I would feel lucky to get a bag of sand for it, as despite have spent the thick end of two and a half grand on it ( not including purchase price)in the last three years, it has 186k on the clock which means it will never be worth much.
As TB says though, they are hard to beat, which is why Im reluctant to change mine for something else. It doesn't get used daily, but when I drive it I immediately remember how good a car it is for very little money.

Got to agree the Omegas are great cars , if I had a double garage at the time I would have kept it ,I sold it and bought a V8 Merc which performance wise was great but certainly not as comfortable as the Omega, the Range Rover however surpasses the Omega for comfort .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.