Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The British Public  (Read 3319 times)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: The British Public
« Reply #15 on: 14 July 2018, 17:16:22 »

Yeah , that free Nelson Mandela campaign has gone a bit quiet lately  :y   

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 July 2018, 17:54:08 »

You're surely not suggesting the Great British public are thick, are you Nick?  ??? ::) ;D

Why would I imply it when there's plenty of conclusive proof?

But that's a different problem. Trump deliberately ensures that he's the centre of attention, and he does it a particularly moronic way because he's a man of very limited abilities; that's why people react to him.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 July 2018, 18:05:40 »

Trumps no worse than any of the others and at least he mostly does what he says he will.
He’s addressing sensitive issues in a robust way that’s all. How come these people have so much time to walk around protesting they should be in work and just take a look at the pansy groups that make the wan7ers up.
Laying a rubber road.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 July 2018, 22:57:17 »

A lot of people, particularly in the UK are confused by Trump. I'm not.

I've travelled quite a lot in the USA, and met a lot of people who are not well educated, are not international business people, not trendy West or East Coast hipsters, and many of whom have never even left their home state.

A few years ago I visited someone I thought I knew quite well, in Indiana. Over dinner the converation led to President Obama. The vitriol spewed forth. they hated him, for all the reasons that we thought he was OK. One big issue was "why should anyone get healthcare for free when we have to pay?"

The protectionist "Born in The USA" "Stars & Stripes" "I'm alright Jack" approach is what got him into the White House, and it will keep him there. For him it's that all that counts. Everything he does it intended to enhance this image in the eyes of his voters. His voters, not the International community

The half wits and the deluded can protest till the cows come home. It will have no affect, it just makes them feel good, but what a waste of time money, and effort. Plus given Trumps unpredicability, it could well have been seriously counter productive. YES ! We showed him . . . . and lost any chance of some good trade agreements.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 July 2018, 08:49:05 »

The protectionist "Born in The USA" "Stars & Stripes" "I'm alright Jack" approach is what got him into the White House, and it will keep him there. For him it's that all that counts. Everything he does it intended to enhance this image in the eyes of his voters. His voters, not the International community

Trump was actually a keen Democrat supporter for most of the noughties... ::) He would probably have been in the White House regardless ;)

If I may be so bold, but I think you have overlooked the fundamental difference between here and there. The United States is a mindset as much as it is a country... Even now, it is still the land of opportunity regardless of ethnicity or class.

Have a read of these words and consider what inspired them to be written...

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner, O long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 July 2018, 11:08:21 »

Trump was actually a keen Democrat supporter for most of the noughties... ::) He would probably have been in the White House regardless ;)

If I may be so bold, but I think you have overlooked the fundamental difference between here and there. The United States is a mindset as much as it is a country... Even now, it is still the land of opportunity regardless of ethnicity or class.

No, not overlooked at all, and I completely agree. It is the land of the "can do" mindset, unlike like our Oooooohhh  Errrrrrrr constant debate and avoid accountability mindset. The Victorians weren't like that.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 July 2018, 17:32:26 »

If you don't accept the right for people to differ with you and the right to protest on an agenda you disagree......
Whilst that's not what I said, it raises an interesting point.

In all walks of life and work, we get some liberties.  Then a minority, particularly in my work life take too many, and become a PITA/ineffective/corrosive/whatever, and that has to be struck out.

I think the same needs to happen for democracy.  If a significant minority can't deal with it/abuse it/whatever, it needs to be withdrawn.

One comment I heard on the wireless was some tree hugging diesel dyke spewing off about the fact she was protesting about the Trump visit because of the cost of Policing...   ….and she couldn't see the irony, clearly. Shame the radio is a one way medium, so she couldn't hear me shouting at her to get back to rug munching
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.