Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Satnav or Sat Nav problem NCDC 2013  (Read 5864 times)

Mowerzilla

• Nottingham
    • Omega estate 2.5 & 3.2
    • View Profile
Satnav or Sat Nav problem NCDC 2013
« on: 02 September 2014, 23:19:35 »

Hi had a look through the forum and its helped a bit but I am stuck getting the Satnav to work.

My car is a 2001 Omega 3.2 elite estate with an NCDC 2013 headunit and the GID unit.
Problem is the sat nav is stuck on a location and wont update that location while driving. Consequently it doesn't do any navigation and just shows the compass arrow in the direction of the destination where I was parked. I did have the Sat Nav working and giving directions prior to removing the Aerial for repairs.

I got the unit to show some diagnostic screens hold down Main for 6 secs. Also tried holding down Clear to do a reset and tried a 2006 disc to update from my 2004.
I have also tested the top slot and it plays audio CDs fine and installed the 2006 navteq CD fine.
I recently repaired the aerial and checked the connections in the roof but not looked behind the kick panel or HU.
The Aerial mast had come loose and damaged some soldering connections so re soldered them and refitted a new mast on a short wire making good the base. FM reception is now ok on classic FM (bit Hissy) and great on Radio1 and other Commerical Radio stations. The GPS receiver is a separate item in the aerial base so shouldn't have been effected and looked in good condition.

here are some pictures I took of the GID showing the diagnostics screen from the NAV mode.

This shows the GPS satellites I believe and it does seem to be getting longitude and latitude coordinates when driving they do change as expected. Is the H+0179 altitude?

Presume this is just serial numbers.

This I believe is the TMC which seems next to useless.

This just show the Sat nav should be working as the GPS is in Yellow text. When unplugged it was in black text in a yellow box.

One Photo I realise I haven't taken is one of the Satnav just showing the compass instead of the giving street directions.

I can get more pics or info as needed.
If anyone has any ideas or help I just don't understand why it seems to be getting GPS data but can't navigate or update its location.

There are a few other small problems with the car like the left wing mirror cant be electrically adjusted I have had it working after unplugging the door electrical connectors half a dozen times and cleaning the contacts with carb cleaner but its been only briefly working.
Also the Tweeter on the drivers side door doesn't work and there is a quiet hiss from the speakers which doesn't change volume but does mute when the Head Unit volume is mute. I know these are small problems compared to the pain in the ass of replacing a DIS or exhaust studs that have broken but I just like everything to work properly as intended even with a Vauxhall Omega!
« Last Edit: 02 September 2014, 23:23:08 by Mowerzilla »

chrisgixer

Re: Satnav or Sat Nav problem NCDC 2013
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2014, 23:57:01 »

Did pressing clear visually reset the unit. Ie did it shut down and restart after 6 seconds?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2014, 10:10:13 »

Have you tried removing the head unit for one hour, allowing it to completely discharge, and then refit it, where it will re-initialise and reboot itself.

May or may not cure your problem, but certainly not unknown considering you have been playing with the aerials.

:-\
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Mowerzilla

• Nottingham
    • Omega estate 2.5 & 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2014, 10:41:32 »

Yes I held down the clear button till the unit switched off. Switched on again and the GPS icon was in Yellow Box black text then changes to GPS in Yellow text still not giving nav instructions but it updated it location to the car park is was. I have disconnected the battery for a few days with a wire to short across the disconnected car battery terminals.

Only thing I haven't done yet is removed the head unit need to get some keys for it as I don't have a kit for 2 DIN head units.

chrisgixer

« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2014, 10:50:47 »

These units are, or can be, very awkward to remove. There is a chassis rail at the bottom of the unit that's visible through the cd changer flap. If a sturdy enough U shaped tool can be used, such as an exhaust spring puller I have here for example, on that rail it makes things much easier.
 Don't be tempted to pull on the front panel as it WILL break.

Although, in order to disconnect the unit electrically it only needs to pull out about half an inch to clear the sockets at the rear of the cage. There's no need to remove the unit completely from the cage if it's being stubborn. Plus, they can be awkward to get back in.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2014, 18:49:29 »

NCDC 2013 is a double din head unit and unlike the older units is only removed by using 2 double din U shaped audio keys bought from Halfords or the like for about a fiver.

Each corner of the main fascia is a small grub screw which requires removing with a suitable sized allen key..think its 3mm.

Once removed insert the double din key into each side/top bottom hole and gentle push them slightly outwards whilst pulling and the entire headunit should release. :o

Be warned they are a tight fit so will require some pulling and swearing but eventually it will free and then just pull the entire unit forward.

You will require the gearlever pushed into 1st if your car is an auto as headunit will foul the gearlever otherwise due to its depth.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2014, 21:48:46 »

Is the speedo working, and does the BC report correct calculations on those using a speed signal?
Grumpy old man

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #7 on: 04 September 2014, 09:07:14 »

Any button presses whilst in the dash do not amount to a hard reset as power is still connected

You can only fully reset and reboot the system by removing it from the dash and allowing it to discharge for 1 hour, but as said, pulling the unit forwards about an inch or so is much easier than removing entirely if it is a tight fit.

:y
« Last Edit: 04 September 2014, 09:09:24 by Dave DND »
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 September 2014, 19:58:33 »

@Mowerzilla
I was a little surprised to read your initial comment about the aerial, unless the estate is different but the Omega saloon uses the Heated Rear Window for the antenna.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 September 2014, 20:04:06 »

@Mowerzilla
I was a little surprised to read your initial comment about the aerial, unless the estate is different but the Omega saloon uses the Heated Rear Window for the antenna.

Nope .. heated rear screen is the RADIO aerial .. the little stubby thing on the roof is the satnav antenna

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 September 2014, 20:12:32 »

@Mowerzilla

Nope .. heated rear screen is the RADIO aerial .. the little stubby thing on the roof is the satnav antenna
What you smoking Entwood?

On saloons, radio aerial is HRW, on estates its the aerial at the back of the roof.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 September 2014, 20:16:22 »

@Mowerzilla

On saloons, radio aerial is HRW, on estates its the aerial at the back of the roof.

I was replying to the highlighted bit ... that you have just agreed with !!

Tangerine

• 6-2000 2.5TD Auto CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 September 2014, 20:17:12 »

@Entwood
Yes, I meant the Radio Antenna is the HRW.  (on the saloon)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 September 2014, 20:25:15 »

@Mowerzilla

Eh?

Tell you what, lets sort it out like real men, in a field, tomorrow night ;D. You bring a wee dram for the winner ;D :y :y

(I've re-read a load of times, but too tired to concentrate enough - I've already been confuddled by chrisgixer in a PM, so clearly my brain is mush ;D)
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 September 2014, 20:35:35 »

@Mowerzilla

Eh?

Tell you what, lets sort it out like real men, in a field, tomorrow night ;D. You bring a wee dram for the winner ;D :y :y

(I've re-read a load of times, but too tired to concentrate enough - I've already been confuddled by chrisgixer in a PM, so clearly my brain is mush ;D)

OK .. but some homework for you first ... just to prepare you for the "conflict" .... (probably turn your brain to even more mush .. but a wee dram or three will soon fix that :) )

1. Thread title is Sat Nav
2. Mowerzilla posts that the saloon uses the HRW as antenna (implication .. satnav antenna)
3. I say no, HRW is radio not satnav
4. You state exactly the same thing .. with a question on my inhaling habits ... :)
5. I agree with you for the second time
6. Mowerzilla now agrees with both of us

Conclusion .. we are arguing about how to agree !! (ain't life grand !!   :)  )

Now .. where did I put that dram ....   :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.