Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SatNav site  (Read 2869 times)

rob114

SatNav site
« on: 17 July 2006, 21:23:57 »

For anyone with a Satnav device this website is excellent!! For a small yearly sub you can download a monthly file containing location/type of speed (ahem safety) cameras - As far as I know it has caught all the cameras I have seen on long runs!

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

Apologies if u already know this or are clever enough to get such files for free!!

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
Re: SatNav site
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2006, 21:29:17 »

Yep, this is a great site!  Surprisingly accurate even with the temporary cameras.

It used to be a free download until a few months ago.

I subscribed this month and downloaded the updated database.

Pm me if you need details.

Merv

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2006, 21:29:33 »

I find their camera database sadly lacking.

I use the free POIPlace for cameras, though not sure if it works for non PocketPC versions of TomTom
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2006, 22:48:07 »

I find their camera database sadly lacking.

I use the free POIPlace for cameras, though not sure if it works for non PocketPC versions of TomTom

Agreed. Running TomTom 5 on my PDA the camera warning would come up for cameras on the other side of the road  :-[

Not brilliant, now use TomTom Mobile 5 on my Nokia N70 but without the Speed Camera add-on

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2006, 02:46:54 »

I used to use this site with my TOMTOM GO....until they started charging for the downloads.
I agree with others.....its not totally bombproof and i also found it warned of cameras on the opposite side of the road.
My TOMTOM Go 510 has speed cameras built in......its better, as it warns of the speed limit as well....but still warns of cameras on the other side of the road.

A Rover 75 i had on hire about a year ago used to warn of speed cameras....but that only warned if on the same side of the road as you were.....So blimey if a Rover can do that....it carnt be rocket science!!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2006, 09:34:46 »

TomTom's built in one can warn if its your side, but alas, most of the cameras are stored without direction.

Trouble I found with pocketgps one was 3 of the 4 cameras on my way to work were missing. Went to POI Place ever since, and never found a missing camera.
Grumpy old man

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2006, 10:02:06 »

The thing with the Pocketgps database is that is was a pretty one way process, cameras were added as found without too much housekeeping going on,  now they are charging it seems alot better.  It also comes in various formats (such as speed zoned, type eg. specs, gatso etc) or just a single file with them all on.

You can setup tom tom to only report if they are on you route, but this is a bit dodgy, I tend to drive without a route planned just for the warnings and ability to quickly find a route round a problem.

Also, the site now contains a utility whereby you can capture a camera, and if validated you get a years free subscription.

rob114

« Reply #7 on: 18 July 2006, 10:56:55 »

Never used the free updates before subscription, but have found the files I do get to be very accurate. It doesn't really annoy me about warnings on the other side of the road - It's only a proximity warning that most all in one satnav products have after all. The good thing is that it even (if wanted) warns you of mobile sites (whether there is a camera van or not). Lots of help there for satnav users 2.

I suppose as technology marches on these devices will get smarter - as some of the latest tom toms are! I have a navman 520. You can get phones with satnav now - I haven't got one !!

If there are better camera sites around,please give us a link - have stayed with pocketgps cause they seemed efficient but more than willing to look at alternatives!  

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 July 2006, 11:12:50 »

As I hinted at earlier, if you have PocketPC, then look at Checkpoint (google for checkpoint poi) which links in very well with POIPlace. This is most accurate database I have come across, and also does other POIs such as Vauxhall dealers, banks etc etc (non camera POIs tend to be less accurate - loads missing)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 21 queries.