Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer help please  (Read 3574 times)

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Computer help please
« on: 25 March 2013, 20:01:18 »

Any help in simple lauguage please....

Last night lap top froze, I switched it off and back on agian. A message came up to say that start up was ???? and that repair was starting, left it for a while switched off as went to bed.

Same message tonight, said it could take an hour to sort so just let it run, then it went to Windows, black screen just the windows logo, for ages and then to enter password, put in password and the welcom page starts but there is no further progress. just the little circle thing keeps going round and round, tried if a few times same problem - can't miss OOF, have borrowed Miss Vamps lap top......and she wants to charge me by the hour....... :o :o ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Computer help please
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2013, 20:14:21 »

Bit difficult to diagnose without ore info Mike.
What laptop?
Confirm Windows7.  Have you got a CD with it or is it (suspect so) trying to repair off "hidden" HD partition?
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 March 2013, 20:19:01 »

Bit difficult to diagnose without ore info Mike.
What laptop?
Confirm Windows7.  Have you got a CD with it or is it (suspect so) trying to repair off "hidden" HD partition?

HP Pavilion g laptop running windows. It automatically began a repair, no cd inserted, which is said it had completed........ ::) ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #3 on: 25 March 2013, 20:50:28 »

What Windows - is it 7, Vista or XP?

Have you got a repair CD?

I'll check up on HP Pav g
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2013, 20:55:59 »

Not sure if vista or XP... :-[ :-[

We do not seem to have a CD, should have 2 if we do as I bought 2 new lap tops 15 months ago.

Had it started in safe mode, now trying safe mode with networking, thought If I could find a restore point and try that... :-\ :-\

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2013, 21:01:52 »

Or try hitting <F11> during booting - on an HP should take you to preinstalled recovery console - don't go for complete installation (wipes your Hard Drive and reinstalls as supplied), look for repair option.

HTH Mike

PS As you can get into safe mode, a system restore would be first option :y

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2013, 21:39:01 »

Or try hitting <F11> during booting - on an HP should take you to preinstalled recovery console - don't go for complete installation (wipes your Hard Drive and reinstalls as supplied), look for repair option.

HTH Mike

PS As you can get into safe mode, a system restore would be first option :y

Thanks but not getting anywhere, safe mode with networking, but restore would not work, and f11 does not work, I did get myself into an area never seen before, 2 options but I pressed Esc for fear of doing more harm...... ::) ::)

I need a computer Geek from work or a shop to sort, or a new lap top, thanks for your advice..... :y

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2013, 22:00:01 »

If you can get Windows to boot (safe mode - any option)

Start > Run > type in 'msconfig'

Goto the Startup Tab and unselect Everything.

Reboot and hopefully it'll boot.

Unfortunately, a 'repair' has been done which has probably fudged the registry to a point where Windows doesn't know what's going on.

Good Luck.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2013, 22:28:55 »

If you can get Windows to boot (safe mode - any option)

Start > Run > type in 'msconfig'

Goto the Startup Tab and unselect Everything.

Reboot and hopefully it'll boot.

Unfortunately, a 'repair' has been done which has probably fudged the registry to a point where Windows doesn't know what's going on.

Good Luck.

Tried that and still stuck at the Welcome screen, will leave it running for a while and see if anything develops.... :( :( :(

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2013, 22:49:01 »

Two likely issues: 

1)  The OS is so badly messed up that it cannot load - A problem which occurs when a failed repair has been done (even if it said it was successful).  The only way around this is to attempt to install Windows again BUT WITHOUT FORMATTING and recover everything you need, then Install Windows again and FORMAT.  If you don't do the second step, you'll never get decent performance from the computer.

2) A bad sector or bad sectors on the Hard Disk.  This is physical damage when the plates in the disk have been damaged by the reading arm or just disintegration due to age.

There is no recovery from bad sectors and it is a problem which will spread in time.  The only solution is a new Hard Disk.  Not expensive though.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 March 2013, 22:55:36 »

Is there any information on the HD that it is imperative to recover (shouldn't be as if its that important you should make backups !!) ??

If there is it "might" be possible to recover the data by removing the HD and plugging it into another, working system, then scanning and reading the HD. Not 100% certain but unlesss the disc is physically failing a reasonable chance of success.

If there is nothing that is needed to be kept, or once recovered using the above method, then a full reformat /reinstall from the recovery partition is probably the quickest way to a working system.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 March 2013, 23:07:30 »

Is there any information on the HD that it is imperative to recover (shouldn't be as if its that important you should make backups !!) ??
If there is it "might" be possible to recover the data by removing the HD and plugging it into another, working system, then scanning and reading the HD. Not 100% certain but unlesss the disc is physically failing a reasonable chance of success.

If there is nothing that is needed to be kept, or once recovered using the above method, then a full reformat /reinstall from the recovery partition is probably the quickest way to a working system.

::) ::) :-[ :-[ :'( :-X  Some stuff is backed up on disk, but been a while, not sure I have anything that important though, just be a pain..... ::) ::)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 March 2013, 23:12:05 »

::) ::) :-[ :-[ :'( :-X  Some stuff is backed up on disk, but been a while, not sure I have anything that important though, just be a pain..... ::) ::)

I always feel like that when I format (once every 3 months ish).  But you soon get back to normal.

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 March 2013, 23:17:21 »

Two likely issues: 

1)  The OS is so badly messed up that it cannot load - A problem which occurs when a failed repair has been done (even if it said it was successful). The only way around this is to attempt to install Windows again BUT WITHOUT FORMATTING and recover everything you need, then Install Windows again and FORMAT.  If you don't do the second step, you'll never get decent performance from the computer.

2) A bad sector or bad sectors on the Hard Disk.  This is physical damage when the plates in the disk have been damaged by the reading arm or just disintegration due to age.

There is no recovery from bad sectors and it is a problem which will spread in time.  The only solution is a new Hard Disk.  Not expensive though.

How do I do that without a cd, only  the licence number but I can not connect to the internet to download?  Repair shop I guess....or new lap top....... :-\ :-\

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2013, 00:48:47 »

<F11> is your friend Mike - turn on and hit F11 straight away - should take you to the screen to reinstall Windows etc to give you laptop as supplied new.  You shouldn't need serial number - it will be preactivated.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.