Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thermostat Housing  (Read 1241 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Thermostat Housing
« on: 12 September 2019, 16:35:53 »

Think I may have a similar  " Tunnie Leak " although after pressure testing and dye checking I have traced mine to a small leak under pressure from the stat housing to the block.

I replaced the thermostat about 6 months ago as original had become lazy and gauge was very slow to move..new thermostat has resolved this problem although have had a marginal leak since which can be seen around the housing when 12 psi is applied and coolant visible just below a/c compressor laying on the sump lip.Correct thickness body of stat was fitted with new O ring and correctly torqued and both bolts are still tight.

My belief is despite the block surface being thoroughly cleaned it may have slight pitting and the O ring isnt holding water tight.Question is ....is it better to just fit a new O ring and hope all is good this time or apply a sealer to stat housing to be sure.What is the best sealer for this and should it be applied inplace of the 0 ring or with the O ring aswell.

Many thanks

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Thermostat Housing
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2019, 16:45:25 »

Buy a new O-ring and add a smear of clear silicone.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2019, 17:02:39 »

Last time I smeared the O ring in silicone grease .

Strange thing was the GM thermostat O ring was a very thin almost rubber band but the 1 that came with the new thermostat was a more substantial rubber O ring and I had been pretty certain it would seal pretty well...sadly it dose not seem to of.

Nice little Saturday morning job if ICBA to ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2019, 22:59:04 »

IIRC there are several different styles of thermostat housing and they need different thicknesses of O ring and different lengths of mounting bolt,

Sometimes, the right parts don't come with the housing! I've had to purchase the thicker O ring separately in the past.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 September 2019, 09:49:25 »

IIRC there are several different styles of thermostat housing and they need different thicknesses of O ring and different lengths of mounting bolt,

Sometimes, the right parts don't come with the housing! I've had to purchase the thicker O ring separately in the past.

Agreed, as I found, and essential to confirm that bolts don't 'bottom' when torqued down. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2019, 09:59:20 »

From memory only one screws into a waterway, the rest are blind...
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2019, 18:59:47 »

I checked the housing against the original GM I removed and the 2 shoulders were the same thickness,it was just the old O ring seemed very thin compared to the thicker O ring that came with the thermostat...trouble is it doesnt quite appear to of sealed up and coolant can be seen when pressure at 12 psi is applied..below that pressure no evidence of leak.

Have got a spare GM thinner O ring so will give it a good smear with silicone before I refit this time and hopefully it will stay watertight this time.Its just such a ball ache getting it all apart that the enthusiasm to replace it is dwindling by the minute  :(

Would a smear of silicone on the bolts be a good idea,as I remember the bolts had loctite on both when removed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.