Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reversing Type 2 diabetes  (Read 2285 times)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Reversing Type 2 diabetes
« on: 12 January 2020, 20:04:09 »

Hi gents.
Those of you afflicted with diabetes might be interested in this:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhv942zcf12gya6/How%20to%20Reverse%20Type%202%20Diabetes%20Naturally.mp4?dl=0

I have asked my diabetes consultant for her opinion and when she has read it she will report back, If she sees no difficulties, I will give it a trial.
I will of course let you know how I get on, if my consultant approves. Conversely, if she disapproves, I will tell you why.

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Reversing Type 2 diabetes
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2020, 20:07:12 »

Be interesting to see what is said :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2020, 21:16:59 »

Indeed, one of the great afflictions of our time. Hope it works for you!  :y

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2020, 21:17:35 »

Haven't watched that, but Dr Michael Mosley, reckoned, 800 calories a day, and did a TV program about how it reverses type 2, and it works, there's a book, and it's also being pushed by nhs.
Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2020, 21:51:54 »

A friend of mine was pre-diabetic, whatever that means. He attended talking shops with other sufferers, stuck rigidly to a diet sheet he was given (lost 2 1/2 stone, looked 10 years older) and was given the all clear after about 12 months. He is sticking to the healthy lifestyle, but tells me he is bored shitless of the dietary regime.

STEMO

« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2020, 22:12:29 »

Just finished watching the 15 minute video which ended abruptly (no doubt to get me to use Dropbox). The premise seemed somewhat simplistic, even though it appeared to make sense.
Let's see what Rons consultant says.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2020, 00:56:26 »

I'm in the process of reversing mine at the moment through a combination of a very low carb diet & Dr Mosley's 800 Fast Diet book. In August my annual blood test was 55 and 3 months later 34 which is very good, where 35 is the pre-diabetes threshold, so I have dropped one lot of my daily medications. I've lost 9kg in that time, put 1-2kg on over Christmas and now back on the diet. My aim is to get down to my ideal body weight that I was between 20 & 40yo, by losing 22kg to get down to 66-67kg which was my weight before my weight started creeping up & will give me a bmi 22-23. When I have the severe adverse reaction to a flu vaccination in 2015 my weight dropped to 63kg & until I felt right again as I recovered from this I didn't care about my weight gain until I felt right again & had regained a lot of muscle wastage which took 1 to 2 years.

I've found the very low carb diet the easiest one I've ever been on where you don't get peaks & troughs in your blood sugar levels. The troughs lead to food cravings, where on a low carb diet you just don't get them to the same extent, you just get a dull hunger feeling which is livable with. Replacing carbs with increased levels of fat is part of the keto process along with eating plenty of protein to stop muscle loss, but with your kidneys you may need to watch your protein levels. My kidneys are impaired at level 3a, but I have had a slight improvement over the last couple of years and over the last 3 month between blood tests they were steady. Ron, I'm guessing yours are at 3b?

Although, I've got the Fast 800 book & recipe book & limit myself to 800 calories twice a week, I found by far the best book I bought & thoroughly recommended is: "The real meal revolution" by Professor Tim Noakes. The three double green, yellow & red pages will show you low carb food groups, yellow are ones you can eat in small quantities & red are ones you must avoid. The book covers how keto & low carb diets work & how a low carb diet with increased fat intake reduces LDL cholesterol levels where your body can't make them.

This 1950's Yank advice to eat a low fat, high carb diet has been a disaster for Western societies, where the one group of foods we don't need are carbohydrates, especially high-gi sugars & grains & vegetable oils. For cooking use olive oil or butter. Beer & cider are not allowed but wine is. For a long drink I drink a pint of dry white wine & soda water & normally red wine when on an evening meal out.

The only side effects have been reduced joint pain within 3 days of stopping eating all grains including bread, no bloating & feeling overfull as you seem to just naturally adjust to eating less food. I've had slight constipation for which I take a Inulin & Psyllium Husk supplement to keep me regular.

I have a couple of books on Keto breads but I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but they are expensive to make where they use almond flour which is expensive, so budget at ~£3 a loaf. Where I work from home I've found it easier just to cook something like an egg for breakfast with a small quantity of either strawberries or blueberries, lunch some un-battered & un-breaded fish (normally salmon) or meat with vegetables or salad & similar for the evening meal. I have now perfected a very-hot very low-carb chilli con carne with cauliflower rice. It is based on mince beef, a small onion, green beans, celery, sweet peppers & hot chilli peppers & replacing the kidney beans with either an aubergine(s) and/or courgette(s), where I like my regular very-hot spicy food. I've found a complete medium cauliflower give the right amount of cauliflower rice & it has a very similar texture to ordinary rice & I personally prefer the cauliflower flavour.

If I occasionally need to eat a snack then it is normally, a few small tomatoes, a handful of radishes (1.5cals each) or a few blueberries.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2020, 06:12:49 »

Rods2, thank you for your comprehensive reply. I'll try to get the books you mention - I could do with losing weight, too!
Fpr the record, I am at CKD stage 4 and ought to go on dialysis, but with my other problems it is contraindicated and would kill me sooner than the 2 years life expectancy my kidney consultant gave me.

Ron.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2020, 06:31:03 »

I lost 3 stone 4 years ago and kept it off  my meds were reduced by 50 percent but cannot seem to shift anymore weight currently just under 15 stone , exercise routine walking for at least 1 hour per day + swim at least 4 times per week, no problems with my 6 monthly checks.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 January 2020, 12:17:17 »

About 50% can control their type 2 diabetes with fast weight reduction & diet and about 50% can't & need reduced meds. I will find when I hit my target weight which of these 2 I am. Once you've got type 2 diabetes you can't get rid of it all you can do with rapid weight loss & the reduction of internal body fat is to get it in remission so your insulin intolerance goes down.

Where type 2 diabetes & dementia are much more common in our generation compared to previous ones there are studies to try & find any links with environmental factors, food & diet & more prevalent viral & bacterial infections.

It is interesting that they have now found Multiple Sclerosis is triggered by a combination of getting two different viruses during your lifetime, which triggers your immune system to attack as an invader the myelin sheath on your nerves. Still much is unknown about the link between illness & how long term our immune systems reacts to them.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 January 2020, 14:14:25 »

Tangential to the type 2 diabetes discussion, I weighed myself for the first time in a while today: 147.5kg. Even at 6'1" that firmly marks me out as a fat b@stard!!

Time for a change in diet and lifestyle methinks.  :-X

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 13 January 2020, 15:05:46 »

Tangential to the type 2 diabetes discussion, I weighed myself for the first time in a while today: 147.5kg. Even at 6'1" that firmly marks me out as a fat b@stard!!

Time for a change in diet and lifestyle methinks.  :-X
That's over 23 stone in English money, Jimmy. You really should do something about that.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 January 2020, 19:17:39 »

Indeed!

The lightest I've ever been (as an adult obviously) was about 15.5 stone. That was when I trained for, and completed the Great North run in just under 2h 15.

So I'm not convinced I'd ever get to my NHS-designated 13.5 stone but I have put on weight every year since I left university, and I know it has to stop, before I do!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 January 2020, 19:44:00 »

I was 18.5 stone at my heaviest, and 11.5 when I left school. Started the year at nearly 16 stone and now down to 15 stone, mostly from eating significantly less and going to the gym... Local authority gym, albeit privately run, is £23 a month with unlimited gym use and opens as I drive past on my commute home, so I go on thee way home every morning.

It's mostly mindset and behaviour rather than magic that sees weight loss.

Don’t go to McDongals/Pret/Subway/Dominos* for lunch every day and don't eat takeaways every night... Throw in a decent amount of exercise and you're going to be finds your natural balance.

*insert convenient fast food of choice. Incidentally you can easily save £80-120 a month by simply NOT grabbing lunch. Take tea and coffee in from home rather than from the campus Starbucks will also see a positive cash input of around £50 a month...

Everything we do is behaviour driven, so if you want to change something in your life, simply change your behaviour  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 January 2020, 20:27:55 »

Funnily enough, convenience food has never been my Achilles heel. I eat takeaway probably one day a month, admittedly that's one more than is ideal.

For me, it's beer, wine, cheese and biscuits that are the killer (probably literally in the long run).

Started the year at nearly 16 stone and now down to 15 stone, mostly from eating significantly less and going to the gym... Local authority gym, albeit privately run, is £23 a month with unlimited gym use and opens as I drive past on my commute home, so I go on thee way home every morning.

That's some good going.  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.