Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb Ass Question - Engine Oil  (Read 3865 times)

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
Re: Dumb Ass Question - Engine Oil
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2020, 22:28:51 »

Still waiting for Don't Handle Logistics to collect an item from Peterborough. First attempt was 'closed', second attempt was 'refused'...  ::)  Almost makes YodellyYoohoo look competent  :-X

I ordered parts yesterday and paid for Parcelforce 24H delivery - their estimate is Friday according to the tracking service!

Why do they take the money and not deliver (no pun intended) I'd understand if they said we can only do 3/4/5 days and give the opportunity to pay for that service rather than take the money for a service they can't give you.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2020, 23:51:28 »

Part of it is timing... Most don't despatch until the payment has cleared, then, if they miss the collection cut off, they it's day three before the consignment is collected.

For guaranteed next day, you have to use UPS or TNT. Post Office/Parcel Force are OK, but next day isn't a given even if you pay for it. Even moreso with the current goings on...
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 April 2020, 00:22:21 »

I regularly use TNT for long parcels over 1m.
Their collection is spot on, and if booked upto lunchtime collection is the same day. They also deliver the next working day. Definitely the best service from a courier I have experienced. Very impressed and I can't recommend them enough.
Parcel Force on the other hand.....
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 April 2020, 08:27:02 »

TNT or UPS are my goto choices, although I will use RM, if only for convenience.  :y

dave.h

• Cumbria
    • 2.2 CDX auto/C220 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 April 2020, 10:44:40 »

Part of it is timing... Most don't despatch until the payment has cleared, then, if they miss the collection cut off, they it's day three before the consignment is collected.

For guaranteed next day, you have to use UPS or TNT. Post Office/Parcel Force are OK, but next day isn't a given even if you pay for it. Even moreso with the current goings on...

Well as you say - in current circumstances all bets are off but - whilst their estimate was Friday, both parcels arrived this morning so I am more than happy to eat humble pie over that one as in the end, they did do a good job in spite of the virus and lockdown.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to go on that counts

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 April 2020, 12:38:22 »

My 10w40 ,ordered Monday at 10.30 PM arrived today Wednesday 12.15 PM ,so less than 48 hours

CORRESPONDS WITH REQUIREMENTS / SPECIFICATIONS / PRODUCTS:

SAE 10W-40
API SL/CF (matches trade club 710 spec)
VW 501.01/505.00
MB 229.1

£23.37 for 20 Litres delivered within 48 hours from Ebay
   :)

clicky link

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2020, 17:18:23 »

Can I use fully synthetic Mobil Super 1000 X1 in my 2.2 Petrol?

Can't get part synthetic for love nor money around here.

Cheers
Might be wrong but Mobil Super 1000 X1 seems to be 15W-40 mineral oil. IE not fully synthetic.

Anyway I would advise against putting fully synthetic oil in an old Omega, unless you have a bullet service history that shows the car has been run on it for years and you intend to do big mileage every year. The car will just develop oil leaks. Use 10W-40 semi-synthetic and change it every 5000 miles or at least once per annum, even if low mileage.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 April 2020, 10:52:31 »

When I got my 3.2 Estate, the service history showed it had been serviced every year with S/Synthetic 10w/40 oil. I had a few litres of Fully Synthetic 10w/30 oil in (genuine VX), so I thought I'd treat it to that. Big mistake - it started showing areas of oil misting, so I drained it off and replaced it with what it had been used to - 10 40 semi synthetic, and the oil misting disappeared.
A VX mechanic I know stated a few years ago that they used to get this issue quite regularly, especially if a vehicle had been serviced elsewhere, and the previous oil grade wasn't known. If they had any doubt as to the previous grade of oil used, they used to just use 10/40 Semi to be on the safe side.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 April 2020, 12:54:14 »

When I got my 3.2 Estate, the service history showed it had been serviced every year with S/Synthetic 10w/40 oil. I had a few litres of Fully Synthetic 10w/30 oil in (genuine VX), so I thought I'd treat it to that. Big mistake - it started showing areas of oil misting, so I drained it off and replaced it with what it had been used to - 10 40 semi synthetic, and the oil misting disappeared.
A VX mechanic I know stated a few years ago that they used to get this issue quite regularly, especially if a vehicle had been serviced elsewhere, and the previous oil grade wasn't known. If they had any doubt as to the previous grade of oil used, they used to just use 10/40 Semi to be on the safe side.

I used 5w30 fully sympathy in my 3.2,, no issues,
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 April 2020, 18:55:54 »

I used 5w30 fully sympathy in my 3.2,, no issues,

The point is that if they have always been run on 10/40 semi synthetic oil, you are better off sticking to that - if they have previously been run on the thinner fully synthetic then that's fine. It seems that if you switch to fully synthetic after years of using semi, that's when minor leaks may occur.
And as that was a confirmed experience of an older generation VX mechanic, there must be some substance in it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 April 2020, 19:07:55 »

I tried my ex plod on 5w30 when my local dealer had it on offer. Leaked like a sieve  ;D 10w40 had no such issues, before or after.

The Vectra fleet on the other hand, only got 5w30 and were all leak free...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 April 2020, 10:32:30 »

Need some oil myself soon. Is VX TC still operational ? Havent used it for so long Ive lost the website login, and don't even know if I have a local dealer still in the scheme.
all the Vaux dealers round my area don't recognize trade-club anymore and haven't for years ,
i tend to just say trade cash sale on the few occasions i have to visit vaux stealers
TC is always cheaper than trade. Plus has the benefits of free delivery, usually same day.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 April 2020, 10:42:00 »

TNT or UPS are my goto choices, although I will use RM, if only for convenience.  :y
I think they all vary regionally.  For example, Herpes, DHL and DPD are normally pretty good here, as is RM (not withstanding an undelivered "fast and free" from egay 2 weeks ago - though given other stuff is arriving quick, I think we know reality ;))

I know its going to be different contracts with large businesses, but Cisco use TNT to deliver me replacement parts, and DHL to collect the faulty ones.  These are always on time the next day, as long as it comes from within the EU.  Cisco kit always seems to get hung up in customs if coming from further afield.

Can't remember who other server vendors use, as their stuff never goes wrong, just bloody Cisco.
Grumpy old man

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 April 2020, 00:02:16 »

Anything here is delayed. ebay items sent Royal Mail take more than a week. I don't believe it's the ebay vendors, it seems to be Royal Mail as ordinary post is also badly delayed.

In addition three out of four of the nearest Post Offices seem to be mostly closed. If that's a typical scenario then probably folks are struggling to physically post stuff.

A UPS package from Sweden due last Tuesday wasn't delivered until Friday afternoon, with no explanation for the delay. We could see from the tracking that it was at the local depot Monday night.

I guess we just have to live with it, nothing to be gained by complaining.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 April 2020, 00:04:54 »

You are in the arse end of nowhere though ;)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.