Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem after problem after...  (Read 19451 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Problem after problem after...
« Reply #105 on: 21 November 2019, 21:08:06 »

Cheers Mr CIH, right...

When cold/lukewarm and allowed to drop to 500rpm. When upto normal temp no issue. Is this temp related, or time related? Ye, as far as we can tell, normal driving, normal revs, all grand.

Having experienced a gummed up ICV this manifest as a shakey idle, which she doesn't have. I have observed that idle is approx 550rpm, I'd swear she always sat at 500rpm. So I appreciate ICV worth looking at.

Think I've said above, throttle body stop as per Opel factory settings..unfortunately!

TB plates are clean as a whistle, carb/brake cleaner'd them a matter of weeks ago.. again, sorry!

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 21 November 2019, 21:50:25 »

The coolant sensor was reading about 75 degrees ,voltage 1.6  ish and the car was warm ,so I don't think there's an issue with that, i could not see anything alarming from live data , other than maf reading low at idol i think .i'd need to compare my maf reading,
the ICV has to be worth trying if you have a spare ,
 one rare fault with that style ICV was a snap in the loom to it ,caused by flexing of the loom over time .
such a fault can occur on any sensor loom though  :(

just remembered the other stored code was immobilizer but that cleared along with maf high and low voltage ,nothing in autobox or abs modules

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 21 November 2019, 22:14:54 »

Cheers for the post, DTB, as I can't remember what was the data was. And thanks for turning up in the first place, of course!

Tomorrow I'll have an inspect / swap ICV.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 21 November 2019, 22:39:00 »

its worth a try because the icv has no impact on the quality of the idling speed ( a very slow idle may not be smooth on every engine depending on its basic condition)all it does is let air through as required to maintain a set idling speed. if the icv was stuck or sticky it just may not regulate it accurately .
its actually a motor inside with brushes and a comm so they can eventually wear out electrically not just get gummed up.also when cleaning them try to do it with the body upwards to prevent large amounts of cleaning stuff to get inside the actual motor. the shaft will have some kind of seal internally but can be harmed if soaked in some types of solvent.
also the wires/ terminals in the connector can sometimes slip back into the plug .they have done so on my jetronic system and touched each other under the rubber boot causing instant engine stall and damage to the idle control unit.(carlton 2.2)
you should see the terminals in the end all sat nice and level if theyre ok

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 21 November 2019, 22:40:10 »

Ta  :y

will report back, boss  :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 22 November 2019, 09:59:17 »

I was under mine earlier ,noticed an earth wire terminated to one of the fuel tank strap bolts ,
other end I assume goes to the pump/sender unit ,
 dunno if the early Omega B have this  :-\
 looks like it's very vulnerable to corrosion  ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 22 November 2019, 10:05:52 »

Don't remember seeing one of them, there! Will double check though.  :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 22 November 2019, 10:42:26 »

I was under mine earlier ,noticed an earth wire terminated to one of the fuel tank strap bolts ,
other end I assume goes to the pump/sender unit ,
 dunno if the early Omega B have this  :-\
 looks like it's very vulnerable to corrosion  ::)
Believe that's for static discharge, not an Earth connection in the normal sense

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 22 November 2019, 11:03:30 »

Had a look - no sign of of on the OSF, OSR or NSR tank strap bolts. Can't get to NSF tank strap bolt, as that means being in the gutter, by traffic!  :D
May be bringing her up on the front later today. Am going to give the quiescent discharge jobby a go from the KW battery guide. 12.33v this morning.. :(
Will give her a drive shortly, with the replacement ICV.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 22 November 2019, 11:38:26 »

Just done the guide - 0.01A draw on the 10A range.... which I think is fine. "When the current has settled it should typically be around 70 mA (0.07A) or less"

I think I've confirmed I don't have a parasitic drain?

just for scientific purposes, battery now reading 12.35V

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 22 November 2019, 13:03:25 »

throretically thats a bit low however its cold weather at the moment and if it spins over fast i wouldnt worry too much about it.
i bet if you disconnected battery overnight it would still be similar voltage in the morning .
its something related to the idling running rather than it cutting out if you were on a motorway at a constant 70 all day long so that should eliminate fuel or many other issues.
same symptoms  as a car with a carburettor having a blocked idling jet .will run forever at any engine speed other than idle.
keep at it !

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 22 November 2019, 13:50:16 »

throretically thats a bit low however its cold weather at the moment and if it spins over fast i wouldnt worry too much about it.
i bet if you disconnected battery overnight it would still be similar voltage in the morning .
its something related to the idling running rather than it cutting out if you were on a motorway at a constant 70 all day long so that should eliminate fuel or many other issues.
same symptoms  as a car with a carburettor having a blocked idling jet .will run forever at any engine speed other than idle.
keep at it !

Thank you!!  :y

Now the ICV is swapped (was already clean, gave it a wee squirt of light oil just to make sure it was moving nice n free, before fitting) she still started awful. New info...

Idle appreciable struggles (approx 50-75rpm drop) when stationary and engage heated rear window, or even hold a couple of window buttons 'up'. I noticed this because the windows need reprogramming after the battery was disconnected this morning, doesn't normally murmur when I do this, from memory.

Also, on the first run round the block when I stuck headlamps on the MFD went black momentarily - which leads me to think charging issues.

Couldn't get her to stall, however, maybe cured, maybe just lucky...  :-\

At idle, with load (h'lamps, heated seats and heated rear screen) 13.8v I think.

Oh, I see it's now raining. Well, that's good  ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 22 November 2019, 14:54:15 »

keep at it !

Thank you!!  :y

Now the ICV is swapped (was already clean, gave it a wee squirt of light oil just to make sure it was moving nice n free, before fitting) she still started awful. New info...

Idle appreciable struggles (approx 50-75rpm drop) when stationary and engage heated rear window, or even hold a couple of window buttons 'up'. I noticed this because the windows need reprogramming after the battery was disconnected this morning, doesn't normally murmur when I do this, from memory.

Also, on the first run round the block when I stuck headlamps on the MFD went black momentarily - which leads me to think charging issues.

Couldn't get her to stall, however, maybe cured, maybe just lucky...  :-\

At idle, with load (h'lamps, heated seats and heated rear screen) 13.8v I think.

Oh, I see it's now raining. Well, that's good  ::)

Might not be a "charging" issue .. as in how much is getting into the battery .. but might be an alternator issue as it appears that as the alternator electrical load increases then the physical load placed on the engine to drive the alternator is increasing a huge amount, leading to the rpm drop mentioned.

Bit extreme I know, but do you have a spare alternator you could drop in to check ??

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 22 November 2019, 15:34:30 »

No spare alternators, sadly  :) The internals (the bit that generally fails) was replaced with one from a stupidly low mileage one, not too long ago, large amount of difference in wear on the 'brush' old vs new.  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 22 November 2019, 18:32:57 »

Might it help to pop off the auxiliary belt to check for any play/roughness in the alternator bearings etc.?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.