Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhausts.  (Read 1167 times)

amigov6

Exhausts.
« on: 12 June 2007, 22:27:40 »

:-/Why is it you ca'nt (legally) fit a race can on your bike but you can fit pretty much any zorst to your car? >:(

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
Re: Exhausts.
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2007, 22:55:24 »

this rule is changing, as of 2008 (i think) exahusts will have to be E marked, although i wouldn't like to be the copper or VOSA inspector who has to try and check out a car!!

The rise in aftermarket stainless manufacturers has shot up and the quality is not always good, this is seen as a way of regulating quality and falling in line with the majority of Europe

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2007, 23:01:08 »

You could always fit one of these to your home made system.  ::)  ::)

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2007, 23:01:55 »

Don't know the full details but I belive it is illegal to fit an exhaust to vehicle registered after 1993 unless it has a catalytic converter.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2007, 23:03:44 »

Don't know the full details but I belive it is illegal to fit an exhaust to vehicle registered after 1993 unless it has a catalytic converter.

All K reg cars have to have cat(s) fitted, but that doesn't stop you from building a drain pipe stainless system after it/them.

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2007, 23:05:23 »

that's true, but it doesn't stop the local chav brigade from fitting those huge useless jap cans that do nothing more than amplify the stupid farting sound that a small engined rust piece a crap makes......

It amazes my why they do this, they lose all back pressure, and so performance goes out of the window.....what a bunch of kn***

amigov6

« Reply #6 on: 13 June 2007, 01:04:36 »

8-)Had one of them on my Suzie Bandit race can, never got pulled but think the law would have sussed it :'(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 June 2007, 15:39:21 »

From MOT manual:

b. a silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition.

How the average chav in a nova gets through every year is beyond me, so that's clearly being applied fairly loosely at the moment.

I'm glad it doesn't say anything about the noise from the induction system because that's by far the loudest part of my Westfield, but it only really barks at high revs and load so it's as good as gold during the MOT  ::) .

As long as someone doesn't start making quiet Lotus 7 replicas so the "level expected from a similar vehicle" remains "'kin loud" I'm happy.  :y

I drove all the way back up through France having burnt all the packing out of my exhaust once. Got some lovely looks from the local villagers. I didn't think it was that loud. Then again, I was wearing a pair of Peltor ear defenders  ;D

exhausts will have to be E marked

That'll be the end of cheapo factor exhausts, no doubt, and I bet the E marking doesn't remain legible for long!

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

realboss7669

• Bristol, UK
  • "Nao ha tempo para amanha"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2007, 16:08:46 »

I have a Honda CBR1000F but was fortunate enough to have Nexxus 'Motad' cans already fitted which are road legal. Got into a conversation with my bike mechanic the other day and yes you can buy those can stamps off of Ebay, but my mechanic for one will easily recognise a track can and even with those stamps will not pass the bike for MOT.

IF anyone chooses to flaunt the law I guess best to retain the originals and refit for MOT, which seems to be a common practise. Why drill a stamp to your nice track can only to find it still fails its MOT!

Similar with the LED side lights but mechanics tend to be more lenient with those!! ;)
Cars:
Mercedes CL420 Coupe (LPG'd)
Porsche 924 Carrera GT
BMW E30 convertible with 3.5 engine conversion ("335"!)
Omega 3.2V6 Elite - for sale :-(

Honda VTR1000 SP2
BMW GS1150Adventure

Martin_1962

« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2007, 16:38:57 »

My foray into exhausts was a Micron expansion chamber on a GP100 which was a 3bhp improvement. A 2 into 1 system on a GS250T no perfomance increase but a lot cheaper.

And with the Sunbeam I replaced the lot. 4-2-1 manifold into a 2" bore exhaust with twin boxes sold as a rally car system
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.