Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5v6 as a Track Day Car  (Read 1487 times)

wastedperfection

• Stoke on Trent
    • View Profile
2.5v6 as a Track Day Car
« on: 14 June 2007, 20:01:36 »

Hi,

I have a 2.5v6 manual that i want to use just as a track day car.

Quesions :

1: Do tracks do it where i could turn up, pay a fee and have the day to just go round the track as fast as i want , as long as i want carrying a passenger?

2: Can i literally rip anyof the excess stuff out to save weight? , ie back seats, all the heater matrix and pipes etc

3: I dont have to tax and insure it do i as long as its stored off the highway and put on a trailer to take it to the track.

4: If so the track dont insist the car is taxed or mot'd do they?

5: Finally, if i rip all the dash out is there a way i can turn the traction control off for good?

Regards

Matt

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5v6 as a Track Day Car
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2007, 20:11:13 »

palmer3914 races his Omega he will perhaps be able to help ya :y
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2007, 23:36:08 »

I have only read the rules on the knockhill circuit. They stipulate that the car must have an MOT or a Knockhill scrutineering certificate. I should imagine this is to satisfy their health and safety and insurances.

Here is their link for further reading.

http://www.knockhill.com/trackdays/index.php
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2007, 23:43:05 »

I think you'll find track days are more aimed at road legal cars. Since they don't generally have a system of scrutineering cars before entry to each event in order to ensure safety of the vehicles they will instead insist that the car is taxed and MOT'ed.

I'm sure you could get away with some lightening of the car, but how far you could go before either the MOT inspector or track day operator called time is probably open to interpretation. If you exposed sharp objects by removing parts of the interior, for example, you might find you've got a problem.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

ragtopcav

• Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 June 2007, 00:00:17 »

I've done a fair few track days, with a l81 General Motors 2.5 V6 engine, but in a Saab 900.

1] Pay and play trackdays do indeed exist. May I suggest you use one of the more structured events orgainsed by the likes of www.bookatrack.com - well drilled, well martialled and very supportive of first timers. Hire a pro driver on your first time out! Worth every penny.

2] Junk as much surplus as you dare, but why throw out the heater if you do winter trackdays? Winter is cheaper  ;) .

3] Not all cars need to be road legal for a trackday; just sort out how to get it to and from. SORN it off the road etc.

4] Some trackdays are specifically road legal check the small print of each event.

5] I wonder if the TC function can be disabled via the tech II ? It is easier in the fwd cars as there's an extra throttle plate that you simply remove.

Don't be surprised if you get your backside spanked by some 'inferior' cars, you'll have no idea [unless you later ask] what sort of power train it has, what fuel it's using or how experienced the driver is. Most regulars at trackdays will talk to you and explain how they've got a little more from their wagons; there are forums dedicated to track and performance to, petrolheads springs to mind.

Personally I woudn't track an Omega; I would certainly go up to 3.0 or 3.2 though.

Brakes  ;) don't skimp here. I'm towing with my Omega and I use EBC Redstuff on the front with slotted rotors and Greenstuff on the rear with slotted rotors - can you imagine what my track brakes are like? And that's a car 300kgs lighter and more powerful than a stock 3.0 AP Racing front brakes; 300mm vented rear brakes ; 221bhp 3.0 V6 ; busy at Rockingham a bookatrack event with open pitlane .
You're only immortal for a limited time.

nemesis_v6

• tiverton devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 June 2007, 02:48:39 »

i use to hill climd in a xr2 with my college and i needed comp insurence so im not sure what insurence will be needed for track days but i know my company dose not cover them and  the last track day i went to they were all t&t and that was a run what yar bring day

Big Rod

• Fife, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2007, 10:46:31 »

I have only read the rules on the knockhill circuit. They stipulate that the car must have an MOT or a Knockhill scrutineering certificate. I should imagine this is to satisfy their health and safety and insurances.

The main reason for that was that they had to clamp down on a bunch of eejits who were going to the scrappies the day before, buying a runner, taking it to the track, barging others off said track then abandoning them afterwards. They reckoned that they needed to be reasonably sure that the car was 'treasured' in some way shape or form. Oh yeah, and to make sure they don't squirt oil all over the track!!

I have a WIP at the moment that I'm not intent on MOT'ing. I hope they don't change the rules in the short term or I might be a bit stuffed.
If I have to explain you won't understand!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2007, 12:38:46 »

The main reason for that was that they had to clamp down on a bunch of eejits who were going to the scrappies the day before, buying a runner, taking it to the track, barging others off said track then abandoning them afterwards. They reckoned that they needed to be reasonably sure that the car was 'treasured' in some way shape or form. Oh yeah, and to make sure they don't squirt oil all over the track!!

That's the very reason I've consistently shied away from taking one of my cars onto an open track day. It's every man for himself as far as liability for any damage goes, so the aforementioned scrote in a £10 wreck isn't going to be too concerned about messing up on a corner trying to shave a few tenths off his time, and as a result wiping out some poor sod in a £10k car :o.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.