Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: electrical fault with air conditioning, front and rear windscreen demister, fan  (Read 2238 times)

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile

Hi I am new to this forum and recently became a first time Omega owner. All was working fine but suddenly and without any warning or reason, my air conditioning and fan and front and rear windscreen demisters stopped. At the same time the radio and cd player stopped working too. I found out that it had lost its code for some reason but when I re input the code all works fine there. So now I am left in very hot weather with no air conditioning and the the other stuff as mentioned above. I understand that all these things are on the same circuit so it is obviously I think an electrical fault. I have checked the fuses and they are okay. I asked in the local garage but he seems very reluctant to take on the job. Does anyone please have experience of this and can advise me. I have an Omega 2.2 diesel reg 2002 DTI....which I love and call the Presidents car. I dont have a workshop manual for this vehicle and wondered if anyone knows where I can get one please? Haynes dont seem to do one. If I had a workshop manual or at least the pages relating to this problem then I could go ahead and check the relays and then the wiring. Many thanks for all your help.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile

usually if the radio lose its power it from a fuse or the fuse holder, it there any signs of the fuse being lose or did it blow. as for fans do you mean the control unit. if so like the radio it may need to be reset. there is a page on here how to reset the system but you will need to find out the reason for the power fail. check the battery connections and earth strip to the shell. follow the negative earth wire from the battery, and you will find it. the earths may need cleaning.   

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Yep, Fuses 12 and 14 power the climate panel and Fuse 33 the blower motor. I'd check that they are intact in the first instance.

Fuse 14 also powers the cigar lighter, so can be taken out by coins inserted into the socket, or overloading.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile

To Chazza 12 and Kevin Wood Thank you so much for replying. I seem to have so much happening at the moment that this is the first time I have had a chance to see your kind replies. Being a newbie to this forum I also thought I would get an email notification to say I had replies but didnt see any so assumed no one had replied. So please excuse my tardiness in replying. Firstly where is the page please which tells me how to reset the whole system? Secondly I have checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. The radio just went out but when I entered its code all came back. As for the fans I mean the ones that blow....so cold air or hot air depending. Please can you help me any more as I am dying in this heat without any air conditioning and no demisters are also a problem. No garage so far will look at it for me so I am left alone to find the problem. The garages just say it will take too long for them and they dont want the job. I have to fix it alone...help.....please if possible. Thank you ever so much. Does anyone have the wiring diagram of this model so I can look at it and try to test the wires with a tester to see if electrical charge is passing through....?

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile

You will need the code to enable your radio to work again, it sounds like they've disconnected the battery. The code is found on a credit sized card called the  'Carpass', which has the key number, security code, & radio code on it. If you don't have one, you can obtain one from your nearest  VX Dealership by showing proof of ownership (V5C) and driving licence, and the cost varies across the Country, mine cost £25 ::) Before shelling out your hard earned, check inside any books or manuals that came with the car, it may be written down somewhere (4 number code). It could even be written on the radio chassis, but you would need to remove it to check ;)
Also do a 'Reset' on your climate panel by turning on the ignition and pressing 'Auto' & 'Off' on the panel at the same time & holding for a minimum of 5 seconds, you should hear the the motor solenoids resetting themselves unless you have a more obscure fault :-\
Hopefully, that should be end of your (current) troubles! :D
Good Luck! :y
here is a quote from another member, I know what you mean about garages not wanting to do the jobs there are meany that don't want to do the jobs, as said in previous post the earth wire under the battery tray (follow wire from battery) these wires can become coated and not have a good connection and just need a good clean. most electrical problems can be down to the earth connections at this point. also a strange thing can happen to the fuses as i have found and they can be come thinning or coated as the earth wires and they will need replacing or cleaning up with a bit of emery cloth, do the rest and hopefully you will have A/C working again.   
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 08:34:09 by Chazza12 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

So is the climate control panel powering up OK (able to set temperature, etc) but just no fan, or is the climate panel dead?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

If you have just bought the car, it might be that someone removed the climate panel to swap out the radio prior to you buying the car and failed to properly plug in the two plugs behind it when they threw it back together :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum, Chazza 12 and Kevin Wood ...thank you so much for posting and trying to help me. All of your help is much appreciated by me. Firstly to Doc Gollum, no the previous owners did not remove or change anything. The air con and all was working fine and did so for a few weeks after we bought it. The radio stopped suddenly at the same time as the demisters on front and rear window and air con and fan (yes climate panel dead) but put in code for radio and that is working fine. No the air con is not working. The fuses have been checked and they appear to be working and fine. The whole circuit is dead...and these items are all on the same electrical circuit as far as I understand....the aircon, the demisters and the fans for blowing hot and cold (manually) are all dead and all on same circuit. Have already tried the reset of system as described as it is written in the owners manual but no good. Think I need to have a diagram or info on the wiring so that I can get in there with an electrical tester to see if a wire has burnt out or a relay not working. My electrical tester has given up the ghost but I can purchase a new auto electrical tester but cant do it if I dont have any way of knowing what I am testing. Hope what I have written makes sense to you guys? Thank you so much for all your help, I am in France and doing all this in French too....and the temperatures here are now over 40 degrees....so I desperately need to get this fixed if possible and there is no garage I can turn too (if there was one who agreed they would want me to do that with a blank cheque and they can be a bit untrustworthy so I am loathe to do that but anyway so far no garage has agreed to take on the work and I cannot find an auto electrician except for one who is very far away and is booked up for the next two months....so I have no choice but I must do this myself). Please continue to help me if you can. Does anyone know how I can get a workshop manual for this mode,l Omega reg 2002, 2.2cc diesel manual saloon DTI...? or any way of posting me the electrical circuit? or any relevant bits of the workshop manual or write an explanation of the wiring or anything at all further to help me please? Thank you so much....so glad to have found this forum for Omega owners....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile

OK, so it sounds like the standby supply to the radio is dead, and probably one of the supplies to the climate panel. I'll have a look at what is common to the two.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile

this may help you its pdf workshop manual. if you use it on a tablet etc or device that can zoom in you should be able to find what your looking for on the wiring side. its free https://manuals.co/workshop/opel/omega/opel-omega-1994-1999-workshop-manual/5576876/309

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood and Chazza 12 again many thanks for all your help. I truly appreciate your assistance. Ok Kevin, in reply to your post, I dont understand how the standby to the radio could be dead as the radio cd etc is working as I re input the code and it came back to life immediately....is there something I am missing there with your answer? Maybe I am so please if i have misunderstood could you explain it again to me or have I got that correct? Chazza 12 thank you so much for the link...I am going to download it  now and see what I can do with it and shall report back later....Once again you are both and all so helpful.....really appreciated and you are very kind. You are helping me loads as I am in practically a desert of help here as no one will assist me but you.....thank you!!!!!

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile

Quickie question to Chazza 12...I have downloaded the link you kindly sent me and it says it is for model 94 - 99....My omega is reg 2002....would it be the same wiring?  :-[
Also to Kevin Wood....the standby for the radio is working but could there be a standby, for the aircon and the all the other stuff which is on the same electrical circuit, not working? Could it be just a standby that is not working? If so how do I find this standby and then to change it? If i have an explanation then I can locate the parts here or in UK and fix it myself....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Radio standby = permanent live. Won't affect the ignition feed ;)

Haynes wiring diagrams for 'later model's is accurate enough to see what is occurring...
« Last Edit: 22 June 2017, 14:50:55 by Doctor Gollum »

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile

firstomega yeah it's just the book date there was no updates on that pdf think there was some body modifications but wiring is the same.  should help you find the right locations and linking parts.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

firstomega yeah it's just the book date there was no updates on that pdf think there was some body modifications but wiring is the similar.  should help you find the right locations and linking parts.
Fixed... Several wire colours vary, but it becomes self explanatory side by side ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.