Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop  (Read 77954 times)

aaronjb

Re: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop
« Reply #210 on: 19 June 2019, 11:10:32 »

Handmade Wheeler tubular Omega V6 manifolds coming to an etsy shop near you  :y

I'm no expert but those manifolds look like things of beauty, very nice.

You do not want to know how much time there is in these(this, as we haven't started the passenger side one yet), or the cost of the materials and consumables. The only reason to build headers like this for a road car is because there is no alternative. We won't make the systems, but fit off the shelf V8 ones.

I think the cheapest quote I've had for a set of headers for the Cobra was £1200, the average about £1600 .. which would probably all go up once they saw the lack of space ;D but .. that does make a compelling case for DIY.

STEMO

« Reply #211 on: 19 June 2019, 11:34:41 »

You do not want to know how much time there is in these(this, as we haven't started the passenger side one yet), or the cost of the materials and consumables. The only reason to build headers like this for a road car is because there is no alternative. We won't make the systems, but fit off the shelf V8 ones.

I think the cheapest quote I've had for a set of headers for the Cobra was £1200, the average about £1600 .. which would probably all go up once they saw the lack of space ;D but .. that does make a compelling case for DIY.
Whip it down to Nick, he'll knock you some up in half an hour.  :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 19 June 2019, 11:48:24 »

Whip it down to Nick, he'll knock you some up in half an hour.  :)

I know I've mentioned this before, but I hate dealing with exhausts whether that's changing a broken hanger to fabricating new parts. So I only ever replace entire systems, and buy them whenever possible.

And Aaron doesn't want to pay me £1600 to build his headers in the street outside my house :)

aaronjb

« Reply #213 on: 20 June 2019, 10:51:19 »

And Aaron doesn't want to pay me £1600 to build his headers in the street outside my house :)

;D ;D Indeed ;) Although I likely will pay someone - because once you add the cost of a decent TIG welder on top of the materials, you're getting close to just paying someone who actually knows what they're doing with the glue gun (instead of me)..

Speaking of, I popped over to Ollie at Olliminium yesterday (he's going to modify the unused ally fuel tank) - he's based at Bicester Heritage and I reckon that place is worth a wander around just to see what's lurking.. a proper little mass of low-volume automotive manufacturers/restorers/etc. The only other place I've seen so many pre-1930 vehicles in one place is Goodwood!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 20 June 2019, 11:05:46 »

;D ;D Indeed ;) Although I likely will pay someone - because once you add the cost of a decent TIG welder on top of the materials, you're getting close to just paying someone who actually knows what they're doing with the glue gun (instead of me)

the welding is the easy bit! Cutting the tubes so they not only fit in the space, but are still round and join each other correctly is difficult. Fortunately for this job, it's what Ian enjoys. And it's in his garage, so I don't need to get involved too much.

aaronjb

« Reply #215 on: 20 June 2019, 11:09:25 »

That too! Much easier if you have a decent metal chop-saw and/or band saw .. neither of which I have, so I'd be trying to hand cut everything with a grinder..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 20 June 2019, 11:18:57 »

That too! Much easier if you have a decent metal chop-saw and/or band saw .. neither of which I have, so I'd be trying to hand cut everything with a grinder..

Marker pen, hacksaw, belt sander in the vice, and files. Lubricated with plenty of workshop Anglo-saxon.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 20 June 2019, 14:41:52 »

There's a new member on here who makes exhausts and headers,, 456lbs. Might be able to help,and he's not far from you Aaron.
Hoof'land storeman.

aaronjb

« Reply #218 on: 20 June 2019, 15:12:05 »

There's a new member on here who makes exhausts and headers,, 456lbs. Might be able to help,and he's not far from you Aaron.

Aye  :y I've made a mental note of his name .. once there's an engine in there to join exhausts to, anyway :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 20 June 2019, 17:15:59 »

Speaking of, I popped over to Ollie at Olliminium yesterday (he's going to modify the unused ally fuel tank) - he's based at Bicester Heritage and
I hope you switched your engine off, seeing as the local council are trying (somehow) to make it an offence to keep the engine running whilst stationary...

Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 21 August 2019, 12:55:37 »

A number of small jobs recently:

Rover 216 tourer sill/arch repair, the brief was "don't buy anything it's only a £100 car", so I folded new sections for the lower sills, and welded them along a body line, plus bent a new section for the lower arch under the bump strip. Some grinding and a thick coat of underseal later and it looks decent - it's a basic MOT repair, but that's no reason for it to look shit.

Made 8 of these window keeps to replace broken ones:

She needed 4, asked for 6, and the bit of 6mm thick aluminium I had provided 8. I made one about 3 years ago with a hacksaw and file; these were done in the mill.

Wire hose clamp tool because I was bored, and it might be useful:

It's more likely to be used tieing poles together, but will do in a pinch. That's how fluid hoses were clamped before Cmdr Robinson invented the Jubilee clip over 100 years ago.

Hydragas pump - the £18 pump is meant for testing central heating systems - but with the addition of a low-loss Schraeder connector it works well. Those are about £50, this one was found in a scrap box and the 1/8NPT connecting thread was stripped. It needed an adapter to the M14x1.5 thread on the hose, so I machined one from brass and soldered the two bits together:

And then folded a cover for the thing out of some stainless sheet just to keep the crap out of it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 31 August 2019, 17:54:04 »

The MGB runs LINK

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 31 August 2019, 18:03:09 »

The MGB runs LINK

Idle speed needs work, but  8)

:y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 31 August 2019, 18:24:41 »

The MGB runs LINK

Idle speed needs work, but  8)

:y

no induction forward of the throttle bodies, as he's still thinking of deleting the multi-rams. And we need to install the radiator and plumbing before we can do any of that work

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 31 August 2019, 18:26:06 »

:) It's always great when you hear an engine run after you've been playing with it's bits  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.