Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to US  (Read 8924 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Moving to US
« on: 13 February 2018, 19:14:00 »

In order to avoid hijacking Mark's thread any further I have created my own.  Sorry bud.

Basically, Dr G, I was looking at something suitable for both Mrs Guffer and myself.  She will need proximity to a suitable airport hub from which to work and I will need an area where my skills are in high demand.  We both like Chicago and the sums add up very nicely even if we aim for an area just 5 miles outside of the loop.  Yes there are cheaper areas then Chicago but then demand for my skills may be lower and Cindy's commute to work will be longer. 

We have looked at Hawaii but without US Security clearance I am stuck trying for a job with Hawaiian Telecom and their security jobs come up very infrequently.  I have also looked at Fort Collins which is developing as a bit of a tech hub at the foot of the Rockies.  I would love it but then Mrs Guffer will be flying out of Denver and her flying schedule will be awful. New York, the salaries for me are amazing but so is the cost of living, plus that would mean flying out of Sewark and the desk staff there are the worst I have ever come across so I could not imagine Mrs Guffer working there.  West coast looks nice but I am not sure how I would like working with/for the silicone valley mindset, plus I have a dislike for Hell-A so I would prefer San Fran.  Midwest seems the best fit culturally even if the winters can bite as low as 20C which it did at New Year.  Even I felt that.

Then comes the curve-ball.  The people I am in partnership with don't really want to lose me and would consider raising some capital to buy a small cyber security company which I would then run and build up.  I have been excitedly doing some research but the small list of firms that are of a suitable size seem to be near Hell-A with one or two in the midwest.  This is before we start the approach and feasibility which will no doubt knock the list right down again.  I have 13 months left with this current client so there is plenty of time to find something suitable either way.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Moving to US
« Reply #1 on: 13 February 2018, 19:32:57 »

Shame about Denver airport not being suitable as, if was ever able to have the great fortune of being able to live in the States, Colorado, and in particular Colorada Springs would be my choice.

Such a lovely State with the Rockies, and the airport at Springs I found was very good. The scenery throughout the State is just beautiful.  8):y :y
« Last Edit: 13 February 2018, 19:35:59 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2018, 19:54:03 »

My bad :-[

What about the South East? Atlanta or there abouts?

I guess re your work, how remote you can be depends largely on your specific niche... :-\

That said, there's a whole lot of the US, when you find an area that you like which also ticks a broad spread of requirements, then it's difficult to argue* against it ;)

*For want of a better word...

Onanists always think outside the box.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2018, 20:58:02 »

Indeed, I am trying very hard to find a suitably sized company in the Chicago area.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2018, 21:21:43 »

Are you looking larger or smaller?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 February 2018, 08:51:45 »

Smaller end, 5-10 FTEs

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 February 2018, 10:23:52 »

I like Chicago, my uncle had a place out in Arlington Heights stayed with him for a couple of weeks.

How is working visa working out? Guess you have benefit of Mrs Guffer being US citizen?

I'd love to move and work abroad, but can't see that happening really.  :(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 February 2018, 10:46:59 »

I like Chicago, my uncle had a place out in Arlington Heights stayed with him for a couple of weeks.

How is working visa working out? Guess you have benefit of Mrs Guffer being US citizen?

I'd love to move and work abroad, but can't see that happening really.  :(

Some would say AH is not Chicago ::) ;D  I am looking at Avondale/Portage Park area, something the missus and I can completely gut and remodel as we wish.

Yes, Green card is fairly straight-forward, I just have to be careful what I post on @r$ebook about the Commander-in-Chief.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2018, 12:01:15 »

Sounds like a great opportunity!

How do you feel about the workplace culture in the US? Call me soft, but I rather like my paid sick days and 6 weeks paid holiday per year ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 February 2018, 12:08:29 »

That is an exception rather than the norm... try the real world with barely twenty days holiday and no sick pay ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 February 2018, 12:16:04 »

I might think about going then. I haven't had a day off sick in the (almost) 10 years in my current job, and I have asked my employer many times to pay me extra money rather than force me to take my holiday entitlement.
They say they would like to but Brussels wont allow it.
I think I would go to Alabama if I made the move, as for the first time I could be accused of being a bit of a lefty.  ;D
The company I work for is a tech company and have operation in North Carolina and California. Not sure if it would be suitable for Guffer, or if he would be interested in living there.  :-\
https://www.cmlmicroplc.com/operations/where-we-operate/#01
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2018, 12:30:31 »

That is an exception rather than the norm... try the real world with barely twenty days holiday and no sick pay ::)

Depends on your industry - I've never worked anywhere with less than 25 days (bank holidays on top of that), I'm not sure I'd even look at a job with less (I mean, unless the options were that or unemployment, I suppose!).. I've accrued 30 on time-served, now.

That said, I know if I moved to the US I'd have 0 days holiday at the point of joining, but (at least where I work) they can actually accrue significantly more days than I can before hitting a cap (something like 320hrs or 40 days). No point me suggesting my place to the Army One, though, as we don't really "do" security (er, don't tell my CEO I said that, ok?) outside of our SOC, and our SOC is entry-level stuff.

Plus he'd have to move to Seattle, Spokane or San Jose.. or, more likely for the SOC, Warsaw ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 February 2018, 12:54:31 »

Sounds like a great opportunity!

How do you feel about the workplace culture in the US? Call me soft, but I rather like my paid sick days and 6 weeks paid holiday per year ;)

I have thought about that and yes 2 weeks leave a year is, on paper, quite different to us in soft old Europe.  In reality by adding personal days, snow days*, occasional free days off given by the boss it's not as bad as it first appears.

*Highly likely in Chicago

Besides, if I end up being the boss then my pay and bonus is dictated by my results rather than how much time I spend in the office.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 February 2018, 13:20:23 »

Friend of mine works for Crown Court service up norf as a Clerk, so is paid/employed by the government. He gets 40 days paid leave per year and several months sick and flexi-time.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 February 2018, 13:35:46 »

As Aaron said, I have never worked anywhere where this hasn't been the case (actually, as a grad I had 5 weeks with the option to buy more), so the difference would be stark. That, and I know from auditing sites in the US, even very senior people don't get more than 1-2 weeks in some businesses.

I think, even in the "real world" going from (nearly) 4 weeks down to pretty much nil would be a big hit to take.

Guffer - Whats the situation regarding health out there, I know the US has a reputation for "produce your credit card or go away and die" health cover, but whats the reality?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.