Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: One for Fuse19....  (Read 5404 times)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: One for Fuse19....
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2019, 19:11:49 »

It's a GM product, use dexos 2  5/30,

Next.
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2019, 21:45:25 »

I see you have Coventry as location? Not sure when I'm going to Brackley next (trips are rare) but I could drop it off at that angry little short blokes house? Might be easier to collect?

That's something that could work, aye  :y Heading back to NE Lincs for Xmas, but that's not really nearer Surrey! PM me if anthing's doable - obviously don't want to muck you about, either, if anyone else can just take it off your hands.  :y

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 November 2019, 08:13:50 »

I have a nearly full 20L tub of GM's finest 10/40 Semi in the garage, that was planned for the 3.2, this ok to go into 1.4 Turbo petrol lump?

Probably not, the turbo needs a pretty high spec oil, which version of 1.4 is it? (year and bhp is a good guide)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 November 2019, 08:17:39 »

Ok, so no, should be: SAE 5W-30 or SAE 5W-40.

That's only half the story - what spec does it want? (i.e. ACEA A5, API spec, brand specific spec etc) That's just as (if not more) important than the viscosity..

Does it matter that much in petrol? Thought yes for diesel with DPF etc.

Depends on the petrol but yes, it can do - direct injection (quite common, now) requires specific oils, for example, which deposit less carbon in the intake (since there is no fuel washing the intake tract anymore, they tend to coke up very quickly)..

Actually, that's not the real drive for a different oil type for direct injection.

Its more to do with small quantities of oil getting past the rings (as it does on any engine) causing detonation of the fuel the second its injected...........ask Ford, its what has driven massive warranty issues on the Ecoidiot engines

aaronjb

« Reply #19 on: 21 November 2019, 08:55:17 »

Its more to do with small quantities of oil getting past the rings (as it does on any engine) causing detonation of the fuel the second its injected...........ask Ford, its what has driven massive warranty issues on the Ecoidiot engines

That too - not that BMW/Mini/Peugeot admit to it. Then again, the engines usually choke themselves to death well before that when the intake tract is about 20% of it's original CSA..

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21 November 2019, 09:29:11 »

I have a nearly full 20L tub of GM's finest 10/40 Semi in the garage, that was planned for the 3.2, this ok to go into 1.4 Turbo petrol lump?

Probably not, the turbo needs a pretty high spec oil, which version of 1.4 is it? (year and bhp is a good guide)

2016 Plate, 138bhp I think.

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 21 November 2019, 09:58:04 »

This is a Zafira, right?

The manual says Dexos 2 (what Biggriffin said) or, if unavailable, 1ltr of ACEA C3 until the next oil change.

Here you go - tis what I use in the BMW & MINI, Dexos 2, ACEA C3, BMW LL-04 etc: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-5w30-BMW-VW-SYNTHETIC-Oil-VW-502-505-01-BMW-LL-04/123670115779

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 November 2019, 10:44:39 »

This is a Zafira, right?

The manual says Dexos 2 (what Biggriffin said) or, if unavailable, 1ltr of ACEA C3 until the next oil change.

Here you go - tis what I use in the BMW & MINI, Dexos 2, ACEA C3, BMW LL-04 etc: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-5w30-BMW-VW-SYNTHETIC-Oil-VW-502-505-01-BMW-LL-04/123670115779

Yes, the more recent Tourer variant. Although I see on the F/L they dropped the 'Tourer' brand.

Thanks  :y :y

Might take a while to go through 20L of the stuff though! The ACEA C3 appears a Vauxhall general requirement, as that was on the spec for the diesel Tourer as well.

In other news found out recently, they have pulled the plug on the Zafira range.  :(

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 21 November 2019, 10:55:37 »

Doesn't take me too long to get through 20L - ~8L in the BMW and ~4.5L in the MINI every six months :)
I'll pick up a 20L tub for the RRS at some point, too (different spec).. that's just two oil changes (10L each!) :o

So far, no complaints about that oil other than how slowly it comes out of the cheap barrel tap I bought.. I think I felt my beard grow while I was waiting for 4.5L to come out ;D

[edit] That was from the 2014 Zaffy manual, btw, because it's what I could find online at Vauxhall..

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 21 November 2019, 11:16:54 »

Keep your eye on this, too: https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/gulf-formula-gx-5w-40-engine-oil-20ltr-521774135 - with the discount code, it's down to £38!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21 November 2019, 11:29:58 »

That's very reasonable, I have to make some room in my much smaller garage storage area now. Before I can add more stuff in, need to off load all the old Omega stuff I have.  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21 November 2019, 11:51:00 »

That too - not that BMW/Mini/Peugeot admit to it. Then again, the engines usually choke themselves to death well before that when the intake tract is about 20% of it's original CSA..

To clog the inlet then they are suffering from heavy breathing, that's an engine design issue more than anything!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 November 2019, 14:44:02 »

Anything I should look out for on the 1.4T?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 November 2019, 14:44:46 »

Bit late now...  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 November 2019, 14:49:00 »

Anything I should look out for on the 1.4T?

Not on that derivative no, the later one (not used on the Zaf as it turns out) is direct injection so a little more sensitive, the one you have is a larger version of the chain driven cam 1.2 used in Corsa etc plus variable valve timing and a few other bits.

Regular oil change is king on them, then they just work and last
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 15:57:20 by Fuse 19 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.