Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: X30XE, getting a manual box to fit? Clutch question and lsd diff question  (Read 3171 times)

180sxbreaker

• Ireland
    • 2.5v6 & 3.0mv6
    • View Profile

Hi all,
This question is aimed at the knowledgable and hopefully a few bodgers on here for this one
Looking at a track car build 3.0mv6, that has an auto box, not shy on work and conversions and deffo not looking for nout fancy with this one, is there any other gearbox that fits the engine? One requiring modificataion even?
Also whats the cheapest way out with a solid flywheel kit,
Heard one time that a lad put a opel frontera 2.2 diesel clutch kit in a v6 but not 100% true on the source of it anyone able to confirm
As for the diff question, my white mv6 manual has a lsd diff that must have gave trouble and some lad welded it up, with lsd diffs getting scarce are there available from any other models that can be made fit the casings? Also heard a few years back that the 525bmw was same but again i have only heard this the once and not sure if any truth to it
Hope to hear from ye
Regards
Martin

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile

You can get adapters to fit Mazda Mx or Rx gearboxes, and probably Ford(although I don't know why anyone would bother).
But if you want it in an Omega, the amount of work to fit one mean that's a terrible solution compared to using stock Omega gearbox/prop/flywheel/shifter/pedal box etc. Although it's not as easy as it used to be, this is likely to be the most cost effective route.

A road LSD isn't much use for any sort of motorsport as they're rare, expensive to buy, invariably worn out, weak and don't lock up very much. I suspect you want it for drifting, and a welded diff has got to be the best solution

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile

There is an adaptor plate available for the RX8 box, I think it's about £150 for the plate. There are 2 variants, 0 degree offset and 7 degree offset (for the tilted engines).

Last time I looked, there was a company on eBay doing a box and prop shaft for around £150, I suspect if you find one closer to you and a private guy breaking, you'll probably get it cheaper.

EDIT

I haven't managed to find an adaptor for the MX5 box, if one exists, then I need it in my life!
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

180sxbreaker

• Ireland
    • 2.5v6 & 3.0mv6
    • View Profile

I was hoping ye might say the 2.0 petrol or 2.2 or 2.5 diesel box can fit if ya drill a extra hole 😁😁
The diff question is related to a road going omega not the track one, sorry i should have stated that

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile

I thought that the running gear from a 2.2 diesel Omega (gearbox/propshaft/diff) was a bolt in replacement :-\

Don't know if the flywheel & clutch fit as well?

"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile

Any R25-28 box will fit but you will need a V6 specific dual mass flywheel or solid aftermarket flywheel
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile

If you're using the R28 Omega box, you can use the flywheel and clutch from a V6 Calibra, those were single mass.
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile

Interesting thread, as I am gradually acquiring parts with a similar idea in mind.  I have got a manual box from a 2.2 Diesel along with pedals and gearlever.  I have also just bought a 3.9 LSD from a guy on FB. I take the point about the age and softness, but have been quoted £1800 to install a Gripper diff (which the circuit boys like). And I'm not that serious yet.  I will probably try it in my (auto) road car first to gauge the effect. Manual should have a 3.7 ratio, but I figure that the slightly lower ratio should be OK for most tracks, and the diesel box has quite wide ratios apparently.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

3.9 manual picks up a bit better, but numbs the top end somewhat ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile

On a private road of course  ;)
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile

Not that much
I've had well over 140 out of my estate (on my private test track of course)  :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Apparently one positive aspect of ex plod vmax (rumoured to be a smidge over 150...) is that if it runs out of fuel, it can coast almost a mile and a half.

And at 140 on the concrete two lane dual carriageways in East Anglia Germany, the Omega is more stable than the original Granada Cosworth, even in estate guise. Which is nice.

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile

Apparently one positive aspect of ex plod vmax (rumoured to be a smidge over 150...) is that if it runs out of fuel, it can coast almost a mile and a half.

And at 140 on the concrete two lane dual carriageways in East Anglia Germany, the Omega is more stable than the original Granada Cosworth, even in estate guise. Which is nice.

Yup
Mine has felt solid as a rock since I replaced all springs / shocks / poly bushed front and back and put 4 decent tyres on it at the same time  :y
Shame rust will probably kill it before anything mechanical goes drastically wrong  :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

I suspect that this is predominantly down to the rear track rods resisting the trailing arm loads across the car under load...

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile

I suspect that this is predominantly down to the rear track rods resisting the trailing arm loads across the car under load...

I'll take your word on that Al  ;D
All I know is it felt very solid  :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.