Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Aldi
« on: 25 May 2020, 16:06:20 »

A warning to all: Avoid using Aldi at the moment if you can.

I've just got back from a truly awful shopping trip there.

Having queued up, patiently and socially distancing, as I neared the entrance a shop worker clipped a carabena onto the belt loop of my jeans, my perplexed expression must have said it all as she explained that whilst people are distancing in the queue outside, they aren't distancing once inside the store.

So what some Donut has dreamt up is to rope 6 or so customers together with 2m of rope between each of us WTAF.

Well these are strange times and with the threat of a second wave of infection I thought I'd best not complain and just tow the line (so to speak).

I'm telling you now, what an absolutely idiotic idea this is. We've negotiated our way in to the store, some with trolleys and others trying to grab a basket before the berserk conga line drags them away.

I was near the middle of the rope picking up some veg, the woman at the front, who was trussed up like a kid in a harness was trying to drag the whole line to the apples and the bloke at the back trying to pull the other way to get his hands on last weeks courgettes which were now this weeks courgette offer.

It was like tug-of-war for the deranged.

It's embarrassing to say, but I lost it, started ranting and raving about the rope and how the hell are people meant to shop like this, I went to unclip the carabena which miraculously brought the attention of the staff who told me I'd be asked to leave the shop if I uncliped. "FFS we're not rock climbing, we're trying to buy cheese" are words which I'll carry with me to my grave.

Strangely this outburst had the effect of bringing our train together as a team.

We carried on now with lots of communication, people passing stuff along the line to other to fill their baskets. Now I know passing things to one another could spread the infection as much as person to person contact but I honestly think if we hadn't of done, I'd still be there now.

As we started along the aisle I generally refer to as "biscuits and creosote", it was clear from the start that all was not well in the adjacent aisle. As far as I could tell there had been 2 trains of people and a lady in the middle of one chain had ducked under the other to get her hands on a pop-art cat bed. The tangle had resulted in a multi-pedestran pile up in which the epicentre resembled the dirty Durga, it wasn't clear how long they'd been there but one old chap was trying to free himself by feverishly sawing at the rope with his house keys.

We navigated the remaining aisles without major trauma, other than having to rescue Doreen (2nd in line) after she fell in the chest freezer trying to reach the last beef Wellington. We were individually unclipped prior to the till, at which point any cameradery we'd had quickly evaporated as everyone scrambled for the first available till.

With the ordeal still impeding rational thought, it was a welcome and familiar sight to have the check out throw all my shopping on the floor in the normal 1000mph fashion. I really did not appreciate being strung along like that, but I hope you did. 😝
I like red cars

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
Re: Aldi
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2020, 16:23:08 »

I'd sue 'em for wrongful imprisonment.   ;)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2020, 16:27:53 »

Train crash.

It would surely be better to use chains and leg manacles!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2020, 17:05:02 »

Just shop in a large Sainsbury's!

They are a dream to shop in, with complete control on social distancing, absolute control of the numbers entering the store (no queuing now though at many times of the day), very easy picking from a complete range of product, and as I use Smart Shop, I fill my trolley once, pay by card, walk out without any interaction with another human being unless I want to ask questions!!

This arrange should last forever in my opinion in all Sainsbury's 8) 8) :D :D ;)

PS Our local Aldi and Lidl, that I never shop in, are very small compared to Sainsbury's and Tesco Extra and have queues outside for most of the day for a limited range of product inside. ::)
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 17:07:24 by Lizzie Zoom »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2020, 17:16:04 »

Just shop in a large Sainsbury's!

They are a dream to shop in, with complete control on social distancing, absolute control of the numbers entering the store (no queuing now though at many times of the day), very easy picking from a complete range of product, and as I use Smart Shop, I fill my trolley once, pay by card, walk out without any interaction with another human being unless I want to ask questions!!

This arrange should last forever in my opinion in all Sainsbury's 8) 8) :D :D ;)

PS Our local Aldi and Lidl, that I never shop in, are very small compared to Sainsbury's and Tesco Extra and have queues outside for most of the day for a limited range of product inside. ::)
You're lucky Lizzie, my local Sainsbury is total shite.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2020, 17:34:52 »

My local Sainsburys is so big I have to take a flask and sandwiches. Swmbo can spend many hours at a time in there.
She is missing it so very badly at the moment.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2020, 17:43:05 »

Towing on a rope is dangerous if you don't brake in time   ;)  reducing the 2 metre minimum safe distance  :o
you need fitting with a rigid bar

most off the shelf ones are only 1.8 metres though ,so you will need to shop around  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2020, 18:22:53 »

You've not seen TB with a tow pole have you?  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2020, 18:35:08 »

I'm going to go there, and just stop, and have fun,, unless I'm attached to a couple of fit laydees,, hello ding boing...

Also is it April the 1st :D
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2020, 18:37:12 »

you know me ,I'm not one to gossip  :-X

Do tell  ;D

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2020, 20:09:27 »

you know me ,I'm not one to gossip  :-X

Do tell  ;D
I didnt see him use my tow pole, but I was presented with a brand new one when he had finished.  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2020, 20:10:49 »

Out for some exercise today and I passed the local Aldi where they were queueing down the side of the building and at the head of the queue was a teenager sat on his pushbike!! He was obviously ready for a quick sprint round the aisles :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2020, 21:40:35 »

I can see no sane reason why anyone would shop at Aldi/Lidl.  Mix with the great unwashed, and queue forever to pay for it.  Then still even up at Tesco, because Lidl/Aldi sell SFA.
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2020, 23:30:09 »

I can see no sane reason why anyone would shop at Aldi/Lidl.  Mix with the great unwashed, and queue forever to pay for it.  Then still even up at Tesco, because Lidl/Aldi sell SFA.
Pre-lockdown I was doing most of my Shopping in Lidl, in Uttoxeter.  A fine shop, frequented and staffed by normal.people.  products are decent, not too much choice, but enough. Fresh sea bass is decently priced.  A whole goose not expensive.
During the lockdown we are shopping in Waitrose Formby
 Because doing the mother in laws shopping and they have particular requirements and needs. Costing US twice as much. Fish is particularly overpriced. And every other customer is over 80 and should be at home avoiding risk.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2020, 00:24:32 »

Swmbo had some lamb shanks from Waitrpse last week. They were expensive and crap. Wouldnt shop there again.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.